Canon 50mm fit?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pancake, Dec 27, 2010.

1. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Hi all,
    Is this the right adapter to fit my Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MK2 to my Oly E-P1 :confused:?
    Fotodiox

I know it wont auto focus and stays wide open, just want to make sure it's what I need.
    Cheers for any help :smile:
    Advertisement

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Nic
    Yes, although I do wonder why they label all of them 'EOS' adapters, when the lens mount is EF/EFS. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  3. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Cheers yup I noticed that too :confused:

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Probably because the vast majority of EOS camera owners don't know their mount designation is EF/EF-S. All they know is that their camera says EOS on it, and that's the lens mount they ask for. I've run into that many, many times. It's not just a Canon issue either.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Canon EF or Canon EOS EF? I need an FD adapter to use my Canon EF lenses on the u43.

Canon confused the issue by naming the EF/EF-S Mount after using "EF" for the Canon EF, a camera that takes FD and FL lenses.

My Canon EF has a 50/1.4 SC on it. FD mount.

[​IMG]

The F1 has an SSC on it. Bet most people don't use Nikon fitted cases for Canon SLR's.

• Like Like x 2
  6. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Canon's mount is called EOS, not EF(-S). EF merely stands for "electronic focus", and there are some EOS-mount lenses that are not designated EF, like their tilt/shift lenses and the MP-E 5x macro lens.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Splitting terms.... are we? or just adding to the confusion.....

EF is designation for autofocus lenses on Canon EOS system. EOS being a term marketing folks at canon used. No other manufacturer of lenses uses the term EF to refer to lens mount design. As such, when people refer to the EF mount they are referring to the mount used within the EOS implementation. The MP-E and TS-E lenses are still technically EF lens mounts BUT simply do not use signals nor motor to focus (manual only).

Canon EF lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To keep it simple.

All EOS system cameras are compatible with EF mount lenses. When someone says, EF mount or EOS mount they are referring to the same thing.

Prior to the EOS system, there was a series of FD mount lenses which are manual focus designs. These are breech-lock design mounts lenses.

Brian S, do not confuse the EF mount with the Canon "EF" camera model. The Canon EF camera you have pictured uses an FD mount lens. So you would need an Canon FD adapter to be used on m43.

A good reference from Canon on past cameras and lenses and their specifications

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

What can you expect from Canon with the F1, F1, and F1 being three different cameras whose accesories ate incompatible with each other? At least Nikon has the F, F2, F3, F4, F5, and F6.