Why is the Size of a Camera Grip So important?

Real Name
Andrew L
Which is why I will never own a camera without a viewfinder. To each his own.
You know, I love a Viewfinder as much as the next guy, and wouldn't solely own a camera without one, but to say you can't possibly own a camera without one is like saying you'll never use a cellphone in favor of a land line. The experience is maybe a little more "photographer-ly" but a good LCD is a perfectly fine tool for shooting photos.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
You know, I love a Viewfinder as much as the next guy, and wouldn't solely own a camera without one, but to say you can't possibly own a camera without one is like saying you'll never use a cellphone in favor of a land line. The experience is maybe a little more "photographer-ly" but a good LCD is a perfectly fine tool for shooting photos.

. . . or maybe like saying you'll never take a photo with your phone!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The good part of this is that since the grip is a personal preference we're all right. The bad part is that the camera companies have to figure out how many to make of each. :D

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I find the "grip" on the EM5 to be the perfect size and very much like the little add-on grip on my OM4.

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
I too am perfectly satisfied with the minimal grips on cameras like the EP5 and EM10. Though having used a GM1 momentarily, I can say that I did miss having something to hang onto. The GM1 feels noticeably less solid to hold, even compared to an EPM2.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
aahhh ... memories

... The SLR’s that I used most often were the Pentax MX and ME Super which were about the size of the OM-1 but possibly a bit heavier.

I still have an OM, but my MX was stolen :-(

Loved that camera ... fully mechanical, nice row of colour LED's to show exposure, one could see Aperture and Shutter setting.

a Perfect 35mm camera IMO ... and I liked the smaller size better than my friends FM2

Anyway, I bought the G1 when it first came out (and there was no other M43 camera) and have liked the grip on it from day one ... I still use a GH1 and the only reason I don't have a GH2 is that I can't justify the money just for the nicer body finish.

Perhaps if someone steals my GH1?

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
If one wants to debate CWRailman’s ‘proper way’ to hold a camera – then don’t miss the rest of what he sated – “which allowed us to shoot down to 1/30 and sometimes 1/15 second…” and that was back in the days without image stabilization. It was probably called the ‘proper way’ as terms like “best practices” were not in use.

What he describes just happens to be a best practice, that works extremely well when one wants to or needs to use long shutter speeds and get a sharp image. I think I posted an ill processed photo in my gallery where the image was taken at 6.1 seconds with a 50mm FL using the technique without image stabilization and the details are pretty clear.

As for grips, during the late 80s and early 90s it seems to me many SLRs were coming out with grips, my Nikon F3 had a grip, I believe Canon’s New F1 had a grip, and even the Olympus OM-4Ti had small grip. Many of us added power winders or motor drives to add grip, which also seemed to make it easier to use the camera in portrait orientation or for the occasional one hand shot. Even my medium format cameras had grips.

I like the E-M1 grip or the add-on E-M5 grip as the ergonomics seem a lot better for me, could be since my hands are much bigger than they were decades ago when I enjoyed the Olympus OM-1. I can’t say why, but I never liked carrying my camera by the lens in the left hand. Since using DSLRs and m4/3s I often find myself just semi-dangling the camera from my right finger tips, something that requires a grip of some kind.

cyrax83

Mu-43 Regular
The E-M5 with the 75mm or 12-40 is so uncomfortable. I do need to pick up a cheap grip from somewhere

It's a perfect match with the E-M1

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
I think auto-focus had something to do with the transition from left to right. It's a lot easier to just grip the camera with your right hand, pull it up to your eye, compose and press the shutter. You almost don't need your left hand anymore when shooting. The only reason, these days, to use your left hand is for stability at slower shutter speeds (which, interestingly enough, has also gotten slower with modern stabilization technology). That, and using manual focus lenses on modern cameras with viewfinders. You will always need a left hand for that.

Personally, I really like my E-M1 and the fact that is has a "grip." However, I am really intrigued by the E-M5 MKII with its slight size reduction and being closer to the OM-1/2/4 I have (and never use :( ). But, I haven't found a tree that grows money, so...

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I think auto-focus had something to do with the transition from left to right. It's a lot easier to just grip the camera with your right hand, pull it up to your eye, compose and press the shutter. You almost don't need your left hand anymore when shooting. The only reason, these days, to use your left hand is for stability at slower shutter speeds (which, interestingly enough, has also gotten slower with modern stabilization technology). That, and using manual focus lenses on modern cameras with viewfinders. You will always need a left hand for that.
Autofocus had a lot to do with the transition to a camera body grip, but the big thing that tipped it over was the rear LCD screen. People were able to hold their camera over their head and still see what they were shooting. Tilting screens and autofocus combined make it so easy to hold the camera in one hand, away from your face and have some assurance that you're going to get reasonably well composed shots with everything sharp as well. Those cameras and lenses with image stabilization make this kind of shooting even more successful.
Lastly, smart phones make 'sloppy' shooting technique a habit for many users.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

Autofocus had a lot to do with the transition to a camera body grip...
can't say I agree with that ... I used a "grip" which was also an auto winder on my 35mm cameras well before AF even was a twinkle in Canon's eye. They were quite common accessories.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
There are different schools of thoughts on grips and how useful they are depending on preference, lens selection and technique.

Personally, I grew up shooting film with SLR cameras and prime lenses which were roughly the same size as my E-M5 Mk.II with a prime so it feels natural for me. Others may have started out shooting DSLRs with large grips and naturally became accustomed to holding a camera with a grip. Then there are street photographers who shoot many times one handed, including those who shoot an off camera flash in their left hand (i.e. Bruce Gilden).

While there is a "proper" way to hold a camera, like any rule, they're meant to be broken and is just a base guideline. There are times I shoot a camera the "proper" way and there are other times I one hand a shot if need be. Same goes for using the LCD to frame a shot.

There is no right and wrong when it comes to grips. I personally prefer cameras without a large grip but that's only because of my shooting style and preference for prime lenses. If I was shooting predominantly with Olympus PRO zoom lenses, I'd have kept my E-M1. Otherwise, for me, the E-M1's grip is overkill for the smaller primes which is why I ended up selling it for the E-M5 Mk.II.

Lastly, I think large grips came to be common due to the largish lenses for DSLRs where it does help to stabilize the camera/lens combo. This is also the reason why almost all rangefinder cameras eschew grips due to smaller prime lenses being used. In the same regards, I wouldn't think about using an O40-150/2.8 handheld on my E-M5 Mk.II without the optional grip since the balance between the left and right hand would be shifted more towards the left hand.

Last edited:

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
I think it's called ergonomics! Our hands when partly closed make a sort of Upside-down J shape - and a grip fits that just fine. I have both an E-M1 and E-M5 and much prefer the grip on the 1. I have the HLD 5 grip with the 5 too and unless I'm travelling light, I use the horizontal part.

If it was about ergonomics, the grip on a DSLR would be horizontal, like on a camcorder. That's the natural hand angle for holding something at eye height.

So, no, it's not about ergonomics.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
If one wants to debate CWRailman’s ‘proper way’ to hold a camera – then don’t miss the rest of what he sated – “which allowed us to shoot down to 1/30 and sometimes 1/15 second…” and that was back in the days without image stabilization. It was probably called the ‘proper way’ as terms like “best practices” were not in use.

Well those days are still these days... I reckon we are barely past 50% of shots having IS if you move beyond kit zoom lenses. A small proportion of all bodies sold have IBIS, and a small proportion of all prime lenses have OIS. Even the Canon wide zooms and 24-70 f/2.8 zooms don't have OIS. Mirrorless Fuji shooters who love prime lenses wouldn't know what IS means.....

Then there's the weight. I don't care how big your DSLR handgrip, how long are you going to shoot single handed with a 200mm-plus lens? I wouldn't even get the subject in the frame!

No, I think the two-handed grip is alive and well. To anyone shooting one-handed with IS..... do you want to know a secret way to improve your keeper rate? See that left hand, down there in your pocket? Well.... :rolleyes-38:

Real Name
Walter

As for grips, during the late 80s and early 90s it seems to me many SLRs were coming out with grips, my Nikon F3 had a grip, I believe Canon’s New F1 had a grip, and even the Olympus OM-4Ti had small grip. Many of us added power winders or motor drives to add grip, which also seemed to make it easier to use the camera in portrait orientation or for the occasional one hand shot. Even my medium format cameras had grips.

I had a Canon F-1n, which I think is what you're referring to. It had no grip. I did have the power winder, which did provide a nice grip, but for whatever reasons, I hardly used it. I think one reason why 35mm SLRs didn't have grips was simply because a grip was probably not compatible with the film advance lever which needed your thumb. You had to loosen your right hand to crank the lever, and cradling the body with your left hand was necessary to keep it from falling.

So, it could just be as simple as that. Grips only came in when cameras had built-in auto winding, or went digital, which of course requires no winding. :)

DigitalD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
....but times change...except for grips which are still big, clunky and an all around PITA. :) Thankfully we have choices.
Unless you are talking about battery grips (which I wasn't) there are certainly smaller and less PITA these days. The EM5 grip without battery is small enough to fit in my smallest bag I bring to be able to wip it out at any time. The grips for the other EPLs and PENs are also tiny tiny. Again, Im not talking about battery grips. That is another discussion to me. ;)

DigitalD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I had a Canon F-1n, which I think is what you're referring to. It had no grip. I did have the power winder, which did provide a nice grip, but for whatever reasons, I hardly used it. I think one reason why 35mm SLRs didn't have grips was simply because a grip was probably not compatible with the film advance lever which needed your thumb. You had to loosen your right hand to crank the lever, and cradling the body with your left hand was necessary to keep it from falling.

So, it could just be as simple as that. Grips only came in when cameras had built-in auto winding, or went digital, which of course requires no winding. :)

Good point. I had the little wooden extender grip on the EM1 because it gave it a little bit of height to rest my pinky on. Very comfortable. It wouldn't have worked if I had to wind my film lol ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom