Photo Challenge: Your Daily Image - June 2015

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Saw this dragonfly on the ground and at first thought it had just landed since it's wings were fluttering. However, upon closer inspection, it was dead and the wings were just moving from the breeze.

While post processing this, this is the first time I've actually looked at a dragonfly closeup and in detail. Amazing to see the symmetry in lines as well as the transparency in the wings. The older I get, the more appreciation I seem to have for things like this. What was simply a snapshot of a dead dragonfly turned into a good amount of time studying the intricacies of nature.

"Dead Dragonfly"

18959293678_16a498224f_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

APPLE IPHONE 6 PLUS, 4.15MM (29MM EQUIVALENT), F2.2, 1/60, ISO 40

Last edited:

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Last night we had a storm pass through and created some interesting light in the clouds, so I finally got a chance to try Live Composite, which I've been wanting to do for some time now, but haven't gotten around to it...I frantically grabbed my gear and one of my dogs for a short walk (she patiently waited for me too). I didn't have much time...took some trial and error and I just took my best guesses, but metering kept blowing everything out as soon as I pressed the shutter, so I'll have to read up on the correct usage. This was the best I managed..the rest had blown highlights from the sun and I trashed them. Of course, the one I got sorta right had pedestrians crossing....for me it ruined it, but for others maybe it's appealing? Had to tweak shadows in LR to raise exposure.
EM1, 12-40mm. I had just gotten a 10 stop ND for the 12-40, but rather than fiddle with that in haste, I used Live composite.

19075542486_9cfa0c067c_o_d.jpg

This one was just handheld to show the sky in the opposite direction.

19101746285_43bde487f1_o_d.jpg

Great shots and kind of cosy street. Where is this?
I am not familiar with Composite, Is it part of Lightroom or.......?

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Langs de Vecht
Alongside river Vecht

P1010269-Edit-Edit.jpg

One thing I don't like about the G5 is that ISO and WB settings are unvolunteerly changed. Happende here to, so I had to use Nik Dfine 2.

NoSeconds

Peaky Blinder
Real Name
Troy
Had a busy day today (single parent for a week) and didn't get a chance to get the camera out until this arvo, when I took the minions down to the skate park in-between appointments...

OM-D EM-1 O9bc

ac62c677-16f7-4c71-b3dc-407a2cca920d_zpswohrhbcu.jpg

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Great shots and kind of cosy street. Where is this?
I am not familiar with Composite, Is it part of Lightroom or.......?

Thank you. Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia...it is cozy and kinda historic...great houses and architecture...and is called the "garden district" of the city...still has some "cobblestone" streets...or at least borders of main streets.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
June 26, 2015

My challenge to myself today was to use just one lens, a Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 on my Olympus OM-D EM-1. It wasn't that successful: I need to practice manual focusing ... a lot and I didn't take into consideration the ISO :oops:. The light seemed okay in the EVF but it was not. Anyway one of the sort of keepers was from the The Fremantle Primary School Heritage Garden, which is an acknowledgement of the Old Alma Street Cemetery which was once located on the site of the now school. The site consists of seven free-standing headstones as mute witnesses to the many hundreds of men, women, children, seaman, army officers, convicts, their guards and others who made up the early European settlement of Fremantle.

The first burial at the Cemetery was recorded on April 3, 1831 - John Livesay, boatswain, age 32. Mr Livesay died of scurvy. The first school on the site, the South Terrace School was established in 1904 after the cemetery was exhumed. Not sure I quite get idea of school built on cemetery but then it was over a 100 years ago now so maybe the ghosts have moved on :)

On a sombre note, this stone in the ground reflects on what took the lives of children ... life was pretty harsh then.

View attachment 426488
Cold by Andrew, on Flickr

Andrew

Last edited:

TassieFig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Given the time, I suspect they really had no idea of the cause of death in a lot cases. I assume the list was taken from the records.

Andrew
Yeah, I had to look that one up. From Wikipedia:

"Teething used to be considered (wrongly) a cause of death, as many children died in the first years of life, at the same time as teething occurs. The tendency in the past to attribute serious disease to teething was so prevalent that in 1842 teething was the registered cause of death in 4.8% of all infants who died in London under the age of 1 year and 7.3% of those between the ages of 1 to 3 years according to the Registrar General's report."

"Old remedies for teething include "blistering, bleeding, placing leeches on the gums, and applying cautery to the back of the head" sometimes resulted in death!

"as late as 1938 an Anglo-American dental textbook advised in favour of lancing, and described the procedure"

"Teething powder" containing mercury was also popular

Poor kids. No wonder they died...

NoSeconds

Peaky Blinder
Real Name
Troy
#PocketDump

OM-D EM-1 O45mm f/1.8

AF150F48-80CC-4494-A1B8-684FE9666D5C_zpshjn3ivvh.jpg

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
I was having a drink (quite a number of drinks actually) with the U.S. Ambassador, Mark Lippert, last night and was able to get this shot in just before midnight at 11:37pm. :biggrin:

19012394790_396063a3a9_b.jpg

OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MK.II, 45MM, F1.8, 1/80, ISO 2500

TassieFig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
27 June

A brilliant day in Hobart so I had to have a cake at one of my fav cafes, Daci Daci. This is again a not so perfect focus stacked image (4 captures @ f/2.0) but it's what I got. The cake was perfect though :)

I also realised that Flickr is finally geotagging my images. That hasn't happened before for some reason.

EM-5 + Panasonic 20mm @ f2.0 1/45 ISO200

18581043754_6012ea98a9_k.jpg
EM57074__PS_Stack.jpg by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

NoSeconds

Peaky Blinder
Real Name
Troy
I took the kids for a ride today on the track I use to get to work, although they weren't very keen on taking the high road... :rolleyes-38:

OM-D EM-1 O45mm f/1.8

image.jpg

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Uninspiring day since I woke up at 4pm from a late night out drinking. Followed my GF to the nail salon since she wanted to get her nails done before going out to dinner. Here she is looking at different color samples. :rolleyes-38:

19206745882_9f36fdddae_b.jpg

APPLE IPHONE 6 PLUS, 4.15MM (29MM EQUIVALENT), F2.2, 1/15, ISO 50

Latest threads

Top Bottom