Kipon EF-M43 AF Adapter Performance

arch stanton

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malc
Is there any way to combine this with a speed booster? Or do we just have to wait for an EF-MFT speed booster in one unit?
I think an auto-focusing 70-200/f2.8 L lens would be quite impressive!

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
The issue will be if they can get IBIS working. The parameters used for IBIS by the camera are sent by the lens, thus the adapter needs to make them up.
(with a fully manual lens you can use canned profiles, however you can't do the same once an electronic connection is made)

Kipon to date has dodged that question and refused to answer if IBIS will function *at all*, the adapter does however have upgradeable firmware.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
The issue will be if they can get IBIS working. The parameters used for IBIS by the camera are sent by the lens, thus the adapter needs to make them up.
(with a fully manual lens you can use canned profiles, however you can't do the same once an electronic connection is made)

Kipon to date has dodged that question and refused to answer if IBIS will function *at all*, the adapter does however have upgradeable firmware.

I don't see why IBIS wouldn't work, since it works with legacy lenses which don't send any information to the camera. I don't know if IBIS would compensate as you move through the zoom range, but if you set the focal length it should definitely work.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Is there any way to combine this with a speed booster? Or do we just have to wait for an EF-MFT speed booster in one unit?
I think an auto-focusing 70-200/f2.8 L lens would be quite impressive!

It won't work with a speed booster, because any speed booster has an EOS female mount on one end, and a m43 male mount on the other. The KIPON adapter has the same layout regarding mounts, so it wouldn't work.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't see why IBIS wouldn't work, since it works with legacy lenses which don't send any information to the camera. I don't know if IBIS would compensate as you move through the zoom range, but if you set the focal length it should definitely work.

Right, however it doesn't work with any of the Metabones electronic adapters which is why I'm very cautious given Kipon dodging the question.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran

Once you have digital connection, body use the focal length the lens for informs and doesn't allow user to input custom one (Olympus bodies). So if the adapter doesn't know focal length and transmit it to body correctly, IBIS doesn't work and you need to relay on Canon OIS.

Unless the Kipon adapter can be programmed to include fake focal length, but it would work well only for single focal length and requires to diaable IBIS on others.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
Once you have digital connection, body use the focal length the lens for informs and doesn't allow user to input custom one (Olympus bodies). So if the adapter doesn't know focal length and transmit it to body correctly, IBIS doesn't work and you need to relay on Canon OIS.

Unless the Kipon adapter can be programmed to include fake focal length, but it would work well only for single focal length and requires to diaable IBIS on others.

It requires more than just focal length, you can have a working focal length display on zoom lenses but still have disabled IBIS (metabones adapters work like this currently).

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian

But the adapter transfers all of the EXIF information, so by communicating the focal length to the body, it should know what to do regarding the IBIS. However as many have stated, that is not the case with the Metabones electronic adapter. Hopefully this is not the case with the Kipon adapter.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If this is any good, I'm
tempted to get it with one of the sigma 150-600 lenses...

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
The latest Metabones firmware (today) has fixed IBIS on the E-M1 using Canon lenses.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
@MarkoPolo, keep you eyes peeled for yours. I guy over at DPReview said he got his today, ran it through some testing indoors, and said the performance was actually pretty good, depending on the lens being used. I'll be looking forward to more information once we get some tests outdoors in better light.

MarkoPolo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Brown
Well, my credit card that was on file with Adorama got hacked last week and I had to kill it to get a new one. I immediately ordered another one with a good card, but Adorama cancelled my first order and now the new one is still on backorder:biggrin:. So, don't know when I'll get one.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Oh no, hopefully the CC company was good about it and you're not out any money.

I'm surprised Adorama cancelled your order. I would have thought you could just call them up and update your payment info, so that you didn't lose your place in line. Oh well...

Initial performance sounds to be good from what I've heard so far, at least for S-AF. We'll see as more reviews come out.

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just got mine as well, and it's ok so far. Hope to test it out a bit more later.

If you're hoping to use a Tamron lens, then cancel your order right now. No one has reported it working with a Tamron. My 150-600 didn't work either.

So far, I've tested with the following Canon lenses, 300/4L IS, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, and they all work with some small quirks.

Tested on the following Sigma lenses, most are older, about 10 yrs old. 17-50/2.8, 30/1.4, 70-200/2.8, 120-300/2.8 and 50-500. All worked but the 70-200/2.8 would shudder - this is the oldest version of this lens.

The Tokina 11-16/2.8 also worked ok, but AF was quite slow.

Testing was done on my GX7 or GH3.

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got the adapter, tested it and - sadly - wrote a very negative review on my site, with all the details:
http://photographicwanderings.com/2015/06/17/kipon-eos-mft-af-review-new-adapter-fails-the-test/
I just read your review and it's disappointing news. I was really hoping for the best, but I have to admit that I had my doubts after emailing Kipon and they couldn't provide me with a list of lenses they had tested. That just seems like such basic information to offer. I'll be watching for more reviews and hoping yours was just a faulty unit. Thanks for the information.

Latest threads

Top Bottom