Best m43 Kit for $600?

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
They are upgrading from just a compact/camera set-up. They recently had a child and would like a camera to capture better photos etc. Initially they will probably stick with the camera/lens combo but would like the option to add additional lenses in the future. I do not see them building a serious collection of lenses, flashes, etc. however.

You know what, I might actually look at a Nikon 1 J4. The J5 just got launched and you can now get the j4 on clearance for $220 on ebay from beach camera.
That would leave enough to add a 30-110 telephoto and a 18.5mm f1.8 prime for low light and portraits and still come out under $600 easy. It has wifi, but no viewfinder. I think m4/3 is a better system, but from what you describe, will they know the difference? At least this gets them a modern mirrorless with 2 decent zooms and a fast prime.

Probably the best new m4/3 kit for $600 would be a grey market E-PL6 two lens kit. You can get those for about $400 ordered from Japanese sellers. That leaves enough for a new Sigma f2.8 prime to go along with it. No wifi or viewfinder, but they can be added.

Used, as I said above, dozens of different combinations of slightly older bodies and low-mid range lenses.

Last edited:

greenjp

Mu-43 Regular
They are upgrading from just a compact/camera set-up. They recently had a child and would like a camera to capture better photos etc. Initially they will probably stick with the camera/lens combo but would like the option to add additional lenses in the future. I do not see them building a serious collection of lenses, flashes, etc. however.
IMO a generic desire for "better photos" screams that they need something with a fast lens. The weakest aspect of a compact camera (unless we're talking about a high end/enthusiast type) are their indoor/low light performance and ability to generate a shallow depth of field, which I think a lot of people associate with "better". Fast lens addresses both of those. Kit zooms, which are fine and that I have and use, don't really address them.

So, RX100, LX100, even an LX7 (~$330 at Amazon) would probably in all reality give them what they need, if not what they think they want. If they do want to go interchangeable, they should go used or old-stock new of an older model in order to have funds for a fast prime such as a 20mm 1.7. FWIW I got a G3 last year (checks all boxes except for wifi) for $150, a 20 1.7 for $250, and later added a 45-150 for $150. That's $550 for a pretty robust setup. I also have a 14-42 v2 ($100) that I like but find myself using the 20mm more often.

jeff

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
Given the extra informations one option is to find a good refurbished offer for an E-PL5.
And add a Sigma 60/2.8 (200$ new) or a 45/1.8 (280$ refurbished or 200$ used): I agree with greenjp that a good fast lens is what will make the biggest visible difference and fun. You get a good camera with a standard zoom (with wifi but without EVF) and a great fast lens. The EVF can be added as an accessory.

Or a new G5 kit (400$) (NO wifi, evf) + extra prime

davidzvi

Real Name
David

Tell them to add $50 for a total of $650 and get this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119766-REG/nikon_13473_d3300_dslr_camera_with.html

No is not m4/3. But it will do what they want and need with ease. Down the road they should add a flash. But this well last them for many years to come.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
Forget about that.
If they need third hand advice, then eventually they'll use their smartphones anyway.
For gracious exit, point them to bunch of 2014 roundup reviews on DPReview.

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Given the additional info, I would think an all-in-one may be a better choice.

Why not something like a Stylus 1? Looks like an OMD, has the viewfinder, wifi, relatively fast lens with a good range and is $519 reconditioned. There are lots of these bridge cameras, but I've always thought this one looked interesting.

If photography wasn't important before, as new parents I doubt they will want to spend time learning a new hobby, much less transporting the additional bulk and having to think of swapping lenses, etc. With the slow kit lenses in all the sub-$600 choices, they would probably end up frustrated and not really seeing a huge leap in quality from their existing P&S.

Andym72

Mu-43 Veteran

Well, here's the common misconception - the big camera is what gives the better photos. Whereas usually, it's the way out of their price range lenses that give those "better" results. The point being, you have to go ILC if you ever want to use those great lenses. Unless you go for primes. And for most people that wouldn't call themselves an enthusiast, swapping lenses that much soon looses its novelty.

Having said all that, if they want to go m43, A G6 (double lens kit if possible) would be my suggestion. From what I see, the few places that are still selling G5 new-in-box aren't charging that much less than you can get a G6 for.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
Sorry man, I completely disagree. Big camera and slow zooms is like the worst of all possible setups, IMO.

I agree here. Unless they are going to shoot primarily outdoors or have a ton of light in their house, this will lead to frustration and disappointment. This is the most common question I get regarding photography gear and new parents tend to think its should be simple, but photographing young kids can be a very challenging scenario for a camera system if you're looking to a. take those photos indoors and b. do it inexpensively.

The typical want is for a single camera/lens that will take great photos indoors without a flash and with no AF/shutter lag, but also have enough zoom range to take photos of their kid's dance recital or school play in a few years (also without flash). It takes some explaining before they understand that what they're asking for doesn't exist in the form factor they want and would cost a lot more than they are willing to spend.

I tend to recommend an entry level DSLR/kit lens and a small off-brand TTL flash that can swivel/bounce and a few links to websites that explain exposure. If they really are adverse to flash entirely, I'll recommend a DSLR or mirrorless camera/kit lens and a fast prime in the 50mm effective focal length range (if possible, though 75mm-80mm is usually the cheapest option), qualified with the caveat that they won't be taking long range shots of the kid's sports game/dance recital.

All that said, if I were to recommend an $600ish m43 kit to new parents it would be a current generation sensor/AF camera with a touch screen that features tap to focus/shoot, with kit lens and then the Olympus 25mm f1.8 (or 45mm f1.8 if they want to focus more on portraits).

Last edited:

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Far from big while taller and thicker than the E-M1, its lighter and not as wide.

When you factor in the lenses, it is a lot bigger than the equivalent m4/3 setup. It was more the fact that it is on the larger side (from a mirrorless perspective) AND it only comes with slow lenses that made me comment. You gain almost nothing over a MUCH smaller compact with a fast zoom lens, while adding a lot of size and complexity.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
i went through this ten years ago as a new parent. Went from P&S to DSLR with kit zoom without much success. Then I purchased a 50/1.8. Aha moment for sure. It was too long for me indoors, but the Sigma 30/1.4 that followed was pretty much perfect (48mm equiv on Canon). That process took two years though. Lots of low light stuff missed of the baby.

If I was doing it today, knowing what I think I know, I might give the LX100 a shot, or maybe even the X100T, but I'd be thinking "fast 50". GX7 or E-P5 + 25/1.4 or 1.8. More likely something like the D610 with Sigma 50/1.4. I'd ignore any budgetary constraints if I could justify my purchases to get "once in a lifetime" baby shots!

Bottom line to the OP: Your friend needs a fast lens.

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
The problem I see with Stylus and LX-7 is the "small" sensor: indoor you are in trouble. At least the LX-7 is a 1.4-2.3 so it's not so bad.
The problem with the LX100 is the limited focal lenght: 22-68/1.7-2.8. This can be a good fast zoom for many uses but if you come from 8x P&S you'll probably be disappointed. Perfect for kids, on vacation you'll cry, and the price is high.

J

Jfrader

Frankly, if what your friend wants is to get better pictures of the kids, he might benefit as much from a few minutes of your time as a new camera. Teach him a few basics of how to take better child photos. Get the camera down to eye level, get closer to fill the frame, be aware of where the light is coming from and the quality of the light, stop using the ugly pop-up flash other than for fill, be aware of the background, etc, etc. The sorts of things any hobbyist or professional takes for granted and can pass on in 5 or 10 minutes.

Getting a better camera may help his photographs. Knowing what to do with it definitely will.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
When you factor in the lenses, it is a lot bigger than the equivalent m4/3 setup. It was more the fact that it is on the larger side (from a mirrorless perspective) AND it only comes with slow lenses that made me comment. You gain almost nothing over a MUCH smaller compact with a fast zoom lens, while adding a lot of size and complexity.

But the J4 kit you mentioned also has 2 slow kit lenses with the same f/5.6 aperture on a 1" sensor? So they are even slower, so I'm not seeing how you can say they they are faster. And that's match to camera with a sensor that has about 1.5 -2 spots better ISO than the Nikon 1 system. Add the AF-A that will change between AF-S and AF-C automatically with phase detect AF and you have a better option for a point and shot parent looking for a step up.

This far from the the perfect or only option. But it's also far from the worst.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't get the prime recommendations. He's coming from a P&S and wants a "better" camera/lens w/ wifi. I don't see the need for wifi at this price point but that's what they said. So that leaves a 2nd hand body and a 12-50 or 14-150. IMHO
...they will probably stick with the camera/lens combo but would like the option to add additional lenses in the future. I do not see them building a serious collection of lenses, flashes, etc. however.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a friend looking to jump into a m43/dslr camera. His budget is only around $600. I am wondering what everyone would recommend as a good kit to start. If possible, something with wifi and a viewfinder would be ideal. Thanks.

There's a lot of good advice here, but I'll point out that the original poster's friend is specifically requesting something and it's pretty easy to say which micro 4/3 cameras are closest to matching -- the EM-10, G6, and GX7. A standard kit lens is probably good enough to get started.

The problem is then getting within budget if the person wants to get an additional lens. If the friend is willing to give up wifi, the G5 and E-M5 become options that are both a fair amount cheaper used.

If the friend would rather give up the EVF, the GF6 is currently really cheap. We here are kind of snobby about it, but I believe it does have wi-fi and the newer, improved kit 14-42mm lens.

If the friend is also willing to give up both wifi and the EVF, the E-PM2 is a real steal. And the nice thing about it, is that it is small enough that somebody could just use it as a compact camera. It is sometimes available refurbished for $200 with the kit lens, which is a lot cheaper than a compact camera with comparable image quality would cost. And, the friend could buy the external EVF and a wifi SD card later if really wanted.

Latest threads

Top Bottom