is my Oly E-PL5 completely DEAD? :(

CanonConvert

Mu-43 Regular

This problem occurred all of a sudden to my 2 year old E-PL5.

Whenever I hit the shutter button, the screen gets stuck on black - seems like the curtain is stuck because normally there would be a 2-phase sound that represents the opening and closing of the curtain. Currently, it gets stuck on opening the curtain, and then the camera shuts down by itself after 2 seconds.

Have tried using all different modes - PASM/Auto etc, and it doesn't work. Video mode works fine, but when I try to take a snapshot within video mode, the same problem is exhibited.

Any idea what is the problem with the camera, how much it would cost to get it repaired by the official Olympus team, and whether it is possible to DIY the repair myself?

Thank you so much!

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Sorry to hear about your problem. Miracle Max always said that "mostly dead is slightly alive" :shakehead: so you probably can get your camera repaired. If you are in the US and the camera is out of warranty, Precision's flat rate estimate is $142. If you are on a tight budget, this may not be a bad way to go. If you are comfortable buying used or refurbished, you might be able to get better value for your money if you spend a bit more. I am not aware of any DIY actions that would fix your camera, but others may have some idea.

Good luck,

--Ken

J

Jfrader

Does it behave that way with any lens? If so, then I think you have diagnosed the problem correctly. I don't know of any user repair for the shutter mechanism.

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes. Just pull the lens and you will probably see the shutter hanging. Then you decide if it's worth $142 to get it fixed or not. I just had my EPL5 fixed, paying the $142 to get a new LCD screen and a rear dial assembly. I liked mine that much.

CanonConvert

Mu-43 Regular
the odd thing is it hanged the whole time when I was overseas for a day trip.. now it's back to normal again. I'm going overseas again in 2 weeks' time and not really sure whether the problem will come back again.. sigh.

just find it a waste as the body is kept in pristine condition - no drops, scratches and stuff.

yes, it functions the same way regardless of lens mounted ( tried 12-35, 75/1.8, 20/1.7).

CanonConvert

Mu-43 Regular
this was the old thread i posted last time about my faulty E-PL5! and it has come back to haunt me again. :(

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I remember reading that in emergency a stuck shutter can sometimes be fixed by banging the camera down hard. But don't blame me...

Latest threads

Top Bottom