Post-Processing Challenge No. 163

Lurch

Hi, I'm a gear addict
Real Name
Jason
Naturally I'm going to post up something motorcycle related :D
Taken on last years Distinguished Gentlemans Ride
(Yes, its my bike)
As you can see, its a bit over exposed with bits and pieces going on the back ground.

_9280020-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAW (DNG) and JPG here: http://darksideofthepants.net/misc/pp163/
Best of luck to those entering, I'll be interested to see what you do with my baby.

Comp will close 10pm Easter Monday (6th April) Sydney/Canberra time (locals, remember that daylight savings finishes this weekend!)

Cheers,
Lurch

-----------

The Rules:

The Challenger will provide any photo that he/she deems worthy of challenging other members to "improve" by way Post Processing. It must be their own photo. "Improve" is a subjective term, and includes many creative ideas as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenger agrees that entrants may make any changes they deem fit to post in their entry.

The winner of the previous challenge gets to post the next Challenge and serves as the judge for his/her PP challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own PP challenge. Instead, he/she should post a photo to start out the challenge.

***** If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. *****

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up.

----------------------------------------------

Entrants:

The Challenger's image is posted for the sole purpose of the PP Challenge; it is not posted to invite Critique or Criticism.

Entries shall be limited to 2 per member for each Challenge.

Entrants to post a BBCode link to the Large size image of their PP edit(s), preferably 1024px x npx, or npx x 1024px, if the original image and/or the PP edit allow for these sizes. Also a click-through to the original sized hosted edit if appropriate (but not a requirement for entry). If you post your entry to a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, or a Gallery, etc., please credit the original photographer to make it clear it is not your photograph; something like "Photo taken by Lurch over at Mu-43.com" should suffice.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to post the settings and techniques used for their entry, however this is not a requirement for entry.

As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners, but the judges decision is final without adverse comment from the Entrants; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu-43 rules/regulations, by participating in the PP Challenge you are allowing the judge to re-post your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners in the thread.

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
My attempt:
_9280020-1.jpg

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
_9280020-Edit.JPG

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
_9280020-Edit-2.JPG

m4c

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ondrej
full.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
17013372435_1df3c0e7b0_o.png

ManofKent

Hopefully still learning
Real Name
Richard
First attempt - temperature and exposure changes in DXO, Orton effect with contrast and saturation adjustments in PSE with cropping:

163 CHALLENGE 1.jpg

siftu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
siftu
OK first try at this. LR, silver efex and analog efex. Added the frame on the left as I didn't like how close it was so I think it closes that side of the picture. Added a light leak to highlight the motor and a slight blur for the background.

full.jpg

Last edited:

protapic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
something different, cool ride on hot day.

c163 (1).jpg

ManofKent

Hopefully still learning
Real Name
Richard
Second entry - levels, contrast adjusted and a slight curve added in dxo optics pro. Ilford xp2 film simulaton and grain simulation added in dxo filmpack before sepia toned to reflect the results you'd sometimes get with c41 processing. Two screen layers added in PSE - one over sharpened and one with a slight blur to bring out detail but add a slight glow:

challenge 163 v2.jpg

protapic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Another B&W view...entry #2

c163 (2b) (1).jpg

Lurch

Hi, I'm a gear addict
Real Name
Jason
Well done to all.
I’m going to give this one to @m4c
I like the balance between the old-school desaturation and strong(ish) contrast. The soft colours give a nice feel to the styles of bikes.

Honourable mentions go to:
siftu - I love the deteriorated film look, and the left hand additions would have worked awesomely had there been more room down that side of the photo
ManofKent - the sepia, almost art-ish feel works really well.
AussiePhil - the number plate. I see what you did there :D - nice.

Latest threads

Top Bottom