Help me find the right tripod

jcm5

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been getting good results from my Sirui T-005. Nice and compact yet not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

I second this vote. I also own this tripod and it's been perfect so far. Good quality but relatively inexpensive.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I'm looking for a tripod with the same specs. So far, I've limited my options to these two:

- Slik Compact II http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/CMS-COMPACT_II.html
- Cullmann Nanomax 430T RB5.1 https://www.cullmann.de/en/detail/id/nanomax-430t-rb51.html

Both can be found for 60-80 euros (less than $100 I think). Slik would be smaller and lighter (~900g vs ~600g) but Cullman has a hook for additional weight (increased steadiness). Haven't decided yet but I think I will go for the Cullman because of that hook. Unless I figure out a way to modify the Slik for my own hook...

prophet

Mu-43 Regular
Both options look good, but both are just about 100cm high. The Sirui is almost 140cm, which might be a great bonus. Also, with the Cullmann, you would have to screw your camera on and off every time, as it does not have a baseplate.

BTW: I have a Cullmann Nanomax 450 - especially for the price, a good tripod. But too big for extensive travelling.

Thorsson

Mu-43 Rookie
I owned a smaller version. Nanomax 200. Maybe the worst travel tripod I ever had. totally wobbly legs. Replaced it with amazon basics travel tripd 52", which is way sturdier for about the same price. This may not apply to the Nanomax 430. I have had several good Cullmann tripods over the years, but I'd avoid the Nanomax line.

Real Name
Walter
You're going to have compromise somewhere along the line, but I suspect you guessed that :)

The Manfrotto befree might be a decent compromise - not too expensive as reasonable tripods go, reasonably light, fits the size requirements and is sturdier than a lot of travel tripods...

I checked out the BeFree at a Costco store and was not favorably impressed. I think my MeFoto RoadTrip is much better. But, that's my opinion. :)

I thought the Siruis looked interesting.

Although for travel, I'm most likely to take my old Pentax table tripod, which operates similarly to the Leica table tripod + ballhead.

The Pentax happens to look exactly like this one. Sadly, long discontinued. I bought it many years ago from a local camera shop, which is also long discontinued :-(.

polatt_1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

prophet

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks a lot for all the input! So my 2 candidates are the MeFoto Backpacker and the Sirui T-005X. Does anybody know both and can give a little comparison? Steve Huff mentions problems with the qr plate of the MeFoto. Is the Sirui plate any better?

Real Name
Walter
Thanks a lot for all the input! So my 2 candidates are the MeFoto Backpacker and the Sirui T-005X. Does anybody know both and can give a little comparison? Steve Huff mentions problems with the qr plate of the MeFoto. Is the Sirui plate any better?

One thing to note about the Backpacker and the Sirui. Both have "fixed" center columns that are extended in their normal position. According to the photos on Amazon, the Sirui's center column can be removed and the ballhead affixed to the top of the legs. That means it can get lower to the ground. Not sure if the Backpacker column can be removed, but it can be extended for further height. Dunno if that's an issue for you or not. I have a MeFoto RoadTrip and I like it.

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
One thing to note about the Backpacker and the Sirui. Both have "fixed" center columns that are extended in their normal position. According to the photos on Amazon, the Sirui's center column can be removed and the ballhead affixed to the top of the legs. That means it can get lower to the ground. Not sure if the Backpacker column can be removed, but it can be extended for further height. Dunno if that's an issue for you or not. I have a MeFoto RoadTrip and I like it.

Good point. This was one reason I opted for the MeFoto RoadTrip over the Backpacker or the Sirui (and the RoadTrip's center column is reversible, too). I also wanted the monopod option of the RoadTrip, which I actually have used quite a lot more than I expected.

mannukiddo

Mu-43 Veteran
I just picked up a Sirui T1204X with a Tiltall BH-07 ballhead. The tripod folds to a very small size even with the ball head attached. A local German site that reviews support equipment rated the ball head as the best in under 100 Euro category. This easily supports my m43 cameras and lenses and even my heavy FF setup. Highly recommended.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
This looks like a good option. Can you comment on how sturdy the tripod is?

I've got one of these as well. I've used it fully extended (something I thought I'd never do with this tripod) to shoot fireworks.

9225595738_421ae1893f_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

fireworks-6 by twokatmew, on Flickr

laser8

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a Sirui too and can confirm they are well made and seem to fit your needs. However, I took a look online and they are now quite more expensive than few years ago when I bought mine (t1005x and g10 ballhead).

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
For the price, the Ultra Rexi by Velbon imo can't be beaten.

This one looks even better, but is more money. For the low weight, higher load capacity, and ability to use without the center column extended I am surprised that I don't see it recommended more:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822142-REG/Sirui_BSRT1205_T_1205X_5_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

I just picked up the T-1005X for an upcoming trip as my Gitzo was just too large to carry, and my tabletop Novoflex was too small for my needs. I chose it after a somewhat exhaustive search because it was the best compromise between stability, price, height and size. It has slightly larger legs than the smaller Siruis, but is still small enough for travel. I have not yet had a chance to fully test it for stability, but I will almost certainly not be using the center column, as I am picky about stability during long exposures. I could have gained more stability, but at the expense of size and/or money, and then I might as well just bring the Gitzo. But, with a bit of careful set-up, I suspect that it should serve me reasonably well.

--Ken

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
I ended up selling my Sirui T-025x. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't sturdy enough for long exposure work. If I'm willing to carry it, which is rare, I have a RRS tqc-14. But, I probably wouldn't take it backpacking, and it's a pain for walking around town if I want to just talk a shoulder bag or less. What I find myself grabbing more often than not is a Gorillapod Hybrid; it's small, light, fits in almost any bag, and with a bit of creativity can be used in almost any situation I throw at it. I have yet to find something to fit the space in-between these two.

Real Name
Walter

tm3

Mu-43 Regular
I just picked up the T-1005X for an upcoming trip as my Gitzo was just too large to carry, and my tabletop Novoflex was too small for my needs. I chose it after a somewhat exhaustive search because it was the best compromise between stability, price, height and size. It has slightly larger legs than the smaller Siruis, but is still small enough for travel. I have not yet had a chance to fully test it for stability, but I will almost certainly not be using the center column, as I am picky about stability during long exposures. I could have gained more stability, but at the expense of size and/or money, and then I might as well just bring the Gitzo. But, with a bit of careful set-up, I suspect that it should serve me reasonably well.

--Ken

That looks just like the 1205 except not carbon fiber, half a pound heavier, and over $150 less money. An even better bang for the buck. What head do you use on it?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I ended up selling my Sirui T-025x. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't sturdy enough for long exposure work. If I'm willing to carry it, which is rare, I have a RRS tqc-14. But, I probably wouldn't take it backpacking, and it's a pain for walking around town if I want to just talk a shoulder bag or less. What I find myself grabbing more often than not is a Gorillapod Hybrid; it's small, light, fits in almost any bag, and with a bit of creativity can be used in almost any situation I throw at it. I have yet to find something to fit the space in-between these two.

Is the Gorillapod sturdy enough for long exposure work?

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom