GF3 vs GM1 ?

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I right now have the GF3, but the only thing I really starting to hate about is the jpeg quality at higher ISO(kind been spoiled at high iso by Sony A57 I had and the X-E1 I now have). I am probably going to keep the GF3 as underwater duty with the housing I have for it. I've notice that GM1 body only is going for temping price which has me asking about it from previous GF3/5 owners. I use to take my GF3 with me almost everywhere(but the X-E1 took it's place right now cause of the high iso and jpg).

My question is, for those who have used the GF3/5(or similar Panasonic from that generation) does the GM1 offer better or worse jpg quality? Is the lower battery life vs GF3 something to be concerned about? And 1/50sec shutter speed w/flash a problem for those coming from camera similar to the GF3? Is there anything else to know about this camera? Thank you.

TwoWheels

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Evan
The GM1 is the first MFT camera I've owned, so I can't address most of your questions. What I will tell you is that I love the camera and after owning the camera for a year, I continue to be amazed at the quality of the photos I get from it. I almost always shoot raw, so I can't speak to the jpeg quality. My "real" camera is a Canon 7D (which is showing its age) and I find myself using the GM1 more and more instead of that. It does much better in low light than my 7D and I rarely use the flash. For the shooting I do, the handling and controls work very well. The ONLY thing I'm not real happy about is the battery life. For most people, I don't think it should be a concern as third party batteries are cheap. However, one of my primary uses for it is backcountry trips where recharging every day isn't always an option. Having to take a handful of batteries for a multi-day trip isn't ideal and negates some of the benefit (and light weight) of a camera that small. So...I'm not sure I've helped with most of your questions but just wanted to weigh in with a two thumbs up for a superb little camera.

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Like how many shots do you estimate that you get before battery is dead. I think Panasonic says something like 230 for the GM1, while I think the GF3 is rated at 320?

Real Name
Andrew L
The GM1 image quality should be about on par with the GX7, which is excellent, and definitely better than the GF3. I've always felt my GF3 had the weakest output of any m4/3 body I know of, and I only keep it around for the size.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I know that bit about cleaner files, but what about jpeg colors vs GF3? I shoot both raw and jpeg, but with my current computer editing raw is hard as the hardware isn't full up to task(will be getting a new machine in the next few months but still jpeg comes in handy for quick shares).

Real Name
Andrew L
I think you could compare sample images in reviews on both cameras, but by most accounts Panasonic has cleaned up their act with out of camera jpegs. GF3 files could be rather ugly without some work.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

TwoWheels

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Evan
Like how many shots do you estimate that you get before battery is dead. I think Panasonic says something like 230 for the GM1, while I think the GF3 is rated at 320?

I doubt I've ever gotten close to 230 shots from a battery, although I don't usually use the GM-1 to shoot a lot of pictures in a very short period of time. I can usually get a day or most of a day out of the original battery while traveling and shooting a few pics here a few pics there. I would estimate 150-200 maximum but I've never really kept track. In fairness, I don't do anything to preserve battery life either. I frequently don't remember to turn it off, use the lcd to review pictures, etc. You can work around the battery but it is the achilles heel of this camera. But you won't find a smaller camera that takes better pictures!

ManofKent

Hopefully still learning
Real Name
Richard
Yes coming from a D700 where I didn't even bother carrying a spare battery if the one in the camera was half-full the GM1 came as a bit of a shock. It eats batteries. For longer trips I carry two bodies as they take up so little space, but if you're shooting a lot get at least a spare.

It's the only real drawback of the camera - yes the physical controls are a little fiddly, but the touch screen controls are wonderfully intuitive so I use a mixture of the two. Image quality is up with the best of M4/3 and I don't regret getting them in the least.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use to have the GF3, I liked it, it was a fun camera to use, I've had the GM1 too and image quality at high ISO's, the GM1 blows the GF3 out of the water. Regarding the battery life, I bought a couple of spare batteries, but I could of get away with just one spare battery. It is so small, it is no issue for me to carry.
Below is a photo I took with the GM1 at ISO 3200. I'll let it speak for itself.

14755022125_e3a6ec4127_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Stickstock 2014 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I take the interface is a more refined version of the GF3? And Darren how do you like the color out-put vs the GF3; because, as aforementioned, the GF3 sometimes does a bad job in with colors(much better than the G2 I uses to have, even in raw).

Latest threads

Top Bottom