Helios 103

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So, am I incorrect on this...there is NO Contax RF to m43 adapter. They do not exist...right?
    Advertisement

2. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

3. dixeyk

Okay I need to append that...there is no Contax/Kiev to micro 4/3 adapter. I saw the one that rainbowimaging has (I buy from them quite a bit) but how in the world would this...

[​IMG]

fit into this adapter?

[​IMG]

Those do not match. Add to that the fact that the Helios 103 needs some sort of focus mechanism (which I assume would be in the adapter like it is in the one for Voigtlander DKL lenses).

4. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

There isn't just one Contax mount. The lens you have is the one you can't get an adapter for. That mount only removes the front part of the lens. The helicoid is left behind. There is no adapter for that. For the Contax screw mount there is.

6. dixeyk

So far the options are a bit silly (for an $18 lens). There is this one from the eBay seller Amedeo at $179

[​IMG]

...or I could go the 2 adapter route and get a Contax/Kiev to Leica M mount adapter for around $250 and then an M mount to m4/3 for another $25-$30. Kind of defeats the whole point of an inexpensive FSU lens. Good thing the rest of my FSU lenses are m42 (this is why its important to READ THE DESCRIPTION when bidding on eBay)...oh well, lesson learned. Into the junk drawer it goes.

7. dee

dee Mu-43 Rookie

I have the amadeo adapter - but primarily for my Sonnar mounted 1959 J3 / collapsible 50 f2 Sonnar / Helios and several J8 on my Leica M8 .
    This will allow me to adapt to my G1 with a Leica M / m43 mount .
    Using USSR , Kiev mount lenses on m43 is not an easy option , though the focus alignment problems of screw versions is eliminated on my G1 .

8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

... or into the Classifieds at rangefinderforum.com ?

9. dixeyk

Good point...:thumbup:

10. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Your best bet is to get the Amedeo Adapter for the Helios-103.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcamerapictures/3310198688/" title="Helios-103 in Leica Thread Mount by anachronist_user, on Flickr">[​IMG]"454" height="500" alt="Helios-103 in Leica Thread Mount" /></a>

Or- you could get the close-up helical for the Summar and mount the Helios in it. That was hard.

Flickr: Discussing Helios-103 in Leica Thread Mount in Russian Lens World

11. dixeyk

I agree it looks like the Amedeo is the best option. The problem is that I'm not going to drop $175 on an adapter for an $18 lens. I can buy a LTM Jupiter 8, MIR 1B, LTM to m43 adapter and still have enough for a pony ride and opera lessons.

12. iskraII

iskraII New to Mu-43

Using salvaged mount from a nonfunctional Contax IIIa, I was able to change the external mount only to fully functional Contax S mount with infinity focus. the best part of the new mount is the close focsuing is about 25-30 cm. images of the adapter are in my album in gallery section.

13. dixeyk

Okay then, that appeals to my sense of adventure and genetic disposition toward frugality. It looks like you have a Fotodiox Nikon S to M43 adapter as the base (insert alternate brand I assume). Of course the non functional Contax III might not come cheap but its possible to find one with some luck.

I looked at your gallery. Do you have some more detailed instructions anywhere? Form what I can tell from the images it looks pretty straight forward.

14. iskraII

iskraII New to Mu-43

I just filed down the mount till it fit. It has just enough clearance for the modified mount to seat and allow infinity focus for Contax lens only in the same time. External mounted lenses works OK but dismounting needs more practice/skill. Nikkor S 50cm needed slightly more clearance to get infinity.

15. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Those mounts pictured above from Rainbow, will a Jupiter 12 work?

16. dixeyk

If the the Jupiter 12 was in Kiev/Contax mount...no
    If the Jupiter 12 was in an M39 (LTM) mount so you would need this:

[​IMG]

17. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

A non-functional Kiev is much cheaper than a non-functional Contax. They are plentiful.

On a humorous note, the only way I can use MY I-61L/D is with the Amedeo adapter.

I made it into a Collapsible lens for the Contax.

18. dixeyk

A non functional Kiev...hadn't thought of that. That makes it a bit more interesting.

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Maybe, maybe not. Here in the US, Contaxi are more plentiful than Kievs. Many Kievs on ebay are shipped from Europe, that $20 or so shipping fee drowns out the cheap price. I picked up my Contaxi cheaper than my Kiev. At a flea market a couple of weeks back, I saw 5 Contaxes for $25 each.

20. dixeyk

Contaxi...like Octopi? Never thought of that before.