OM-D M5 Shutter problem

Rolle

Mu-43 Rookie
I bought a refurbished OM-D M5 in November. I discovered in April that the camera suffers from a shutter problem at higher shutter speeds. Some frames are completly black. Others are just rak. I bought the camera i US. I fear that the repair here in Sweden will be very expensive. Olympus do not want to answer the question!

It might be cheaper buying a used one. But how common is the problem? Do not want to have another one with the same problem.

What is the repair cost in the US?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
There have been a number of reports of E_M5 shutter problems at high shutter speeds. Usually the first frame is either black, underexposed or partially cur off. I bought a used E-M5 that had this problem, and it was sent to Precision Camera, via Olympus, for repair. I believe that they charge a flat rate for a majority of their repair work, and this might be a repair in that category. I do not know the exact amount as the dealer that sold me the camera covered the repair cost, but I believe it was around $140USD. Precision also guarantees their work for six months, and both of my E-M5's that saw service with them are now working fine. it is a bit of a hassle, but they will eventually get things right and back in your hands.

Good luck,

--Ken

Rolle

Mu-43 Rookie
There have been a number of reports of E_M5 shutter problems at high shutter speeds. Usually the first frame is either black, underexposed or partially cur off. I bought a used E-M5 that had this problem, and it was sent to Precision Camera, via Olympus, for repair. I believe that they charge a flat rate for a majority of their repair work, and this might be a repair in that category. I do not know the exact amount as the dealer that sold me the camera covered the repair cost, but I believe it was around $140USD. Precision also guarantees their work for six months, and both of my E-M5's that saw service with them are now working fine. it is a bit of a hassle, but they will eventually get things right and back in your hands. Good luck, --Ken

Thank you ver much for the information. Very useful!

I think I will give it a try when I visit US in November. What was the turnaround time?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thank you ver much for the information. Very useful!

I think I will give it a try when I visit US in November. What was the turnaround time?

It can vary. The big factors are transit to/from Precision, located in CT, and if parts are available. Usually the actual time just to work on the camera is about two weeks. And, they did not have the parts in stock when my camera was in for repair, so there was added delay. If you are tight on time, call them to see if they have any suggestions to speed up the total time. They may not, but it is worth a try.

Good luck,

--Ken

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The Oly European repair centre is in Portugal and in general it seems people are fairly happy with its repairs. I'd see if you can go down that route first.

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
This was not a rare problem during the first year of EM5 shipments. Probably should be an FAQ for buyers of used EM5's to look for it. It starts showing up in high speed burst mode first. Also, I had a similar problem on my EPM1, although that is a different shutter. It took 7 days to repair over last year's Holiday season, and a week to ship back, which was OK by me.

The flat rate repair in the USA was $168 for an EM5 when I last looked. If you bought it in the USA, there was only a 90 day warranty, but you could still pursue a US repair but overseas shipping probably works against you.

Perhaps the Euro repair people can work a better deal for you. Otherwise, you might have forward it to a friend in the USA to order a repair and then you pick it up when you come later in the year.

Rolle

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for all the help. Will bring the Camera to US in November for repair. It is a much cheaper option compared with Europe.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I had my refurbished EM5 repaired under the warranty by Cameta Camera, the seller. They replaced the shutter and all the associated innards.

randyspan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Randy Spann
I recently had to have my E-M10 repaired by Precison, Inc. (dropped the camera) - $160.00 US and had it back in 11 days. I thought that was very good! And my repaired body works perfectly.

IDLookout

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the help. Will bring the Camera to US in November for repair. It is a much cheaper option compared with Europe.

Make sure that you are very specific about the problem with the repair center. I am sending mine back because they didn't bother to fix the problem. Even though i explained the problem and that it is not an uncommon thing with the E-M5. I love my camera but am quite disappointed in the email and phone correspondence with both Precision Camera in Connecticut, and Olympus. They are however paying for all costs this time around, but the last time took a month to get my camera back with nothing done to it. We'll see this time. Good luck

Rolle

Mu-43 Rookie
Just got a chance to test the camera after repair made by Olympus USA. Left the camera in November and got it back 3 weeks later. Unfortunatly I had left USA and had to wait until this visit. Problem fixed on first try! Went out and shot a number of exposures between 1/3000 - 1/4000 and problem is solved on first try! Price 165 USD.

I have the EM-M1 model as well and have not been whiteout a camera. Did Grand Canyon with the EM-M1 and 12-40 PRO one week ago and was happy with the result.

But it was nice to get the Em-5 back and put a light prime on it. It reminds me why I got in to the M43.

Latest threads

Top Bottom