Olympus E-P5 Firmware Update Available - Addresses Shutter Shock

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I'm having problems trying to update the firmware of my EP5 from 1.3 to 1.5 from, having tried on separate occasions / separate days, the update fails to complete with an error message: can't connect to server (I believe it says).
Broadband connection is acceptable for copper at 11MB/s (hey this is the UK!!). Connects to MU43 and other internet sites, so I suspect the Olympus end is causing problems. Anyone else having problems?
I'm using the update disc that came with the camera, version? but dated 2013.
Any suggestions?

Steve - I had no problems upgrading mine (in fact, never had had a problem with the Oly upgrader). I suggest you try some of these:

- Anti Virus/firewall on your computer. I'm not sure what port/protocol the Oly updater uses, but maybe it's being blocked
- Try connecting via another method - e.g. using your mobile phone. Would eliminate your ISP as the culprit
- Try another computer

That's all I can think of...

When I do the update I have to let AVG allow it, so maybe there is a virus checker program causing a block that isn't seen & needs to be allowed, also it might be worth getting the latest Olympus Viewer 3 (1.21) download which will include the latest camera updater (within it).

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Ross,
McAfee is quite stealthy - but I'll get the better of it!
I'll try the latest version 1.21 as well. If that fails I'll try my old backup laptop running W7 with AVG.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I'm having problems trying to update the firmware of my EP5 from 1.3 to 1.5 from, having tried on separate occasions / separate days, the update fails to complete with an error message: can't connect to server (I believe it says).
Broadband connection is acceptable for copper at 11MB/s (hey this is the UK!!). Connects to MU43 and other internet sites, so I suspect the Olympus end is causing problems. Anyone else having problems?

There are a couple of reports on DPR of the same thing, though I don't recall seeing any complaints from the UK. Sounds like either their update server is getting overloaded, or having some sort of connectivity issues (IIRC it's located in Japan). Just another helpful feature of Olympus's braindead firmware update system.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Hi Paul, I'm running McAfee on an i7 under W8 and I'm a bit reluctant to disable the virus/ firewall. I suppose I could if I'm not running a browser (is it safer to disable the firewall rather than the virus/spyware checker?).
I'm an I phone user which is rather unfriendly for this sort of thing.
Trying another computer has crossed my mind, but logic says I should be able to do this with my laptop. It's a case of eliminating the possible causes, one at a time.

Hi Steve - I wouldn't be too concerned about disabling the AV/firewall temporarily. Personally, I never use anti-virus on my computers and only use firewalls if I'm on unknown networks. AV is a waste of time (and is detrimental to performance) and the best place for a firewall is the router !! However, I'll accept that my view is "unorthodox", but I'll just add that I've never had a virus in 20+ years of using PCs.

I seem to remember too that there can be issues with updating if you haven't pressed OK on the camera's menu to the "storage" option when you connect it to the computer's USB.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Dara and Paul.
I'm running a performance trace and as soon as I press ok on the camera and similarly on the accept 'button' on the computer app, the Internet activity shoots up C 5MB/s for say 10 seconds or so. App history reports that it's the camera updater that is using the net. Thereafter, Internet activity drops to low levels but periodically picks up for short periods, sort of indicating an attempted handshake with the Olympus server. I gave up on it last night, but I'll be trying again soon and when I do I'll disable A/V and firewall, having shut down the browser. It's a pity I can't do this on my Linux laptop, no need for any protection, other than limiting ports to https.
Thanks guys,
Steve.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Success!!
Using my old Compaq laptop running W7, I disabled AV, installed Olympus Viewer 3, removed the lens and memory card; bingo, the update to 1.5 completed in less than 5 minutes. :)

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Question, please, is there a menu setting to enable shutter shock suppression?
Thanks

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Question, please, is there a menu setting to enable shutter shock suppression?
Thanks

Once you've set '0' seconds in Menu *E, Anti-Shock you then select the single frame in the shutter Drive Mode with a solid diamond shape beside it (sequential shooting option will be greyed out) & then it will operate within the specified low shutter speed range. If you want sequential shooting Hi & Low then select them as normal but '0' second Anti-Shock option won't be available with it.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Many thanks Ross. I've selected 0 secs in menu E (anti shock with the solid diamond) and selected single frame from the circular control dial, pressing in the 6 o'clock position, and selecting single, I take it that's what you meant regarding Drive Mode. I hate to admit it, but I struggled to find Drive mode in the menus system, but then again I appreciate the time zones UK - Australia and wanted to send this reply.
Many thanks, Steve.
Ah it's in shooting menu 2, multiple exposure. I knew I've seen it, but couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Many thanks Ross. I've selected 0 secs in menu E (anti shock with the solid diamond) and selected single frame from the circular control dial, pressing in the 6 o'clock position, and selecting single, I take it that's what you meant regarding Drive Mode. I hate to admit it, but I struggled to find Drive mode in the menus system, but then again I appreciate the time zones UK - Australia and wanted to send this reply.
Many thanks, Steve.
Ah it's in shooting menu 2, multiple exposure. I knew I've seen it, but couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Yes, it's Shutter Drive Mode (single frame, sequential Hi & Low, etc. as shown on page 56 of your full PDF manual) that can be accessed through the Super Control Panel or possibly from the the 4 way pad function keys (if that is how you have them set up). I'm not entirely sure of how all the buttons are set up on the E-P5.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Success!!
Using my old Compaq laptop running W7, I disabled AV, installed Olympus Viewer 3, removed the lens and memory card; bingo, the update to 1.5 completed in less than 5 minutes. :)
Good news! Thanks for posting the solution as others might have a similar problem.
Bobby

Latest threads

Top Bottom