E-PL7 Coming Soon...

BobbyTan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What I would love to see is an improved sensor with lower noise, higher DR, and better/faster continuous AF tracking.

Lufthummel

Mu-43 Regular
Insane - nobody needs an E-PL7 which is not really better than an E-PL5. They are just jeopardizing the E-PL5 & E-P5 sales. Instead they should work on FW updates for E-PL5 & E-P5!!

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Insane - nobody needs an E-PL7 which is not really better than an E-PL5. They are just jeopardizing the E-PL5 & E-P5 sales. Instead they should work on FW updates for E-PL5 & E-P5!!

The E-PL5 is now 20 months old and prices have slid a lot, making it due for replacement.

In all likelihood, the E-PL5 and E-PM2 (though not the E-P5) are already out of production and they're just selling off old stock at this point. They'll be officially discontinued once those stocks disappear.

What I would love to see is an improved sensor with lower noise, higher DR, and better/faster continuous AF tracking.

They can't very well introduce major improvements to the E-PL7 that are missing on the E-M1 and E-M10, unless they also are replacing those cameras too in short order. Presumably, the E-PL7 will add WiFi and various little tweaks (like better processing of CA). If we're lucky they might upgrade the LCD. A new sensor is another story entirely.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Isn't there already an Asian only EPL-6 which is an EPL-5 with a few usability upgrades? Is this the same camera for EU and NA markets? I don't get the "Same sensor as the EM-10" part. The EM-10 has the same sensor as the EM-5, which has the same sensor as the EPL-5.... so same sensor in the EPL7 as 5??

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
The E-M10 has an updated sensor (still unknown if its Sony or Panasonic) with the 81 point AF & updated jpeg engine. Chances are it will also bring all the goodies found in the em10 like Live Comp, Photo story and many others... I think Oly just has to get the rest of the line up-to-date with the rest of the new bodies like the E-M1, E-M10 & E-P5...

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
The E-M10 has an updated sensor (still unknown if its Sony or Panasonic) with the 81 point AF & updated jpeg engine. Chances are it will also bring all the goodies found in the em10 like Live Comp, Photo story and many others... I think Oly just has to get the rest of the line up-to-date with the rest of the new bodies like the E-M1, E-M10 & E-P5...

My understanding is that all the Olympuses save the E-M1 use the same sensor. What differs between the E-M5 and the E-M10 is the ASIC (chip) that does the processing. That's how you get CA correction and more AF points and whatnot on the newer cameras. But the actual CMOS imaging sensor is essentially identical.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
My understanding is that all the Olympuses save the E-M1 use the same sensor. What differs between the E-M5 and the E-M10 is the ASIC (chip) that does the processing. That's how you get CA correction and more AF points and whatnot on the newer cameras. But the actual CMOS imaging sensor is essentially identical.
That was my understanding as well, maybe m43 meant it has the EM10 engine.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, it'll have to bring something. Trouble is, none of these mentioned upgrade features really make me have to have it, I was hoping that Olympus would bring out an upgraded E-P5 successor but it's being reported that this E-PL7's going to be the only other new camera from Olympus this year. If so, that'd be a shame.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Olympus, like Panasonic, has to start rationalising their product lines; there are simply too many models and it's all far too confusing, in an already too confusing market. I think Olympus needs a base line and high end Pen, and the same with the OM-D line. It all reminds me of the Nissan motor company before Renault bought in and Carlos Ghosn took charge. Nissan was going downhill fast, they had far too many models in each range, with far too much overlap. Ghosn slashed the model range, simplified the product line and the company was quickly in the black and more profitable than ever.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
The E-PL5 has been the most surprising Oly product to me. I was happy with my OM-Ds and E-P3/5, but needed a smaller footprint to fit my Gigapan. Now it is my favorite. So small, easy to carry, yet so capable. I agree those improvements don't seem too impressive, but it only takes one un-leaked spec to make it revolutionary over evolutionary. 4K video, 5-axis, or maybe even smaller with micro SD cards. I'm more anxious for the E-P6/7, hoping it goes down the GX7 path with an EVF.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I suspect Olympus wants to rethink the EP series. I also suspect that the EPL became "top PEN at a reasonable price" for many. One upgrade I would welcome in the PL7 would be the three axis IBIS of the EM10. That might be enough to evoke thoughts of upgrading for many. What else is there? WiFi? It's not like they are suddenly going to stick a built-in EVF in the PL7. There may be little features we all would like, but none of those are the "killer app" features that will move the camera off the shelves. I really liked my E-PL5 but was often disappointed by micro-blurring that I attributed to the sensor shock problem. Maybe I should have just turned off the IBIS.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We have to remember that Oly isn't necessarily looking for E-PL5 owners to move to the 7. They want you to move up to an E-P or an O-MD. The E-PL7 needs to compete against other cameras in that price range, which makes the added features somewhat necessary.

kjun

Mu-43 Rookie
I suspect Olympus wants to rethink the EP series. I also suspect that the EPL became "top PEN at a reasonable price" for many. One upgrade I would welcome in the PL7 would be the three axis IBIS of the EM10. That might be enough to evoke thoughts of upgrading for many. What else is there? WiFi? It's not like they are suddenly going to stick a built-in EVF in the PL7. There may be little features we all would like, but none of those are the "killer app" features that will move the camera off the shelves. I really liked my E-PL5 but was often disappointed by micro-blurring that I attributed to the sensor shock problem. Maybe I should have just turned off the IBIS.

Hey drd1135, I purchased your EPL-5 and have to say I just keep being amazed by the wonderful photos I'm able to capture with such a small camera. Using 1/8 second shutter delay, no shock problems that I've been able to find. I don't use IBIS unless I know I will be using very low shutter speeds. Here's one I captured with your EPL-5 and Sigma 60 Sunday at our Renaissance festival here near Nashville. Very, very sharp and detailed... just a great little cam. I'll buy a backup when the EPL-7 comes out and the 5's sell at rock bottom prices. Thanks again for turning me on to the EPL-5.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Interesting. If you want ONE m4/3s camera I'd say the PL5 would be a good choice but if you can afford two you should logically skip the PL5 and get one OM-D and a PM2--one's smaller, one has more features.

One thing I think we should all be happy about seeing is that they have NOT increased the pixel count. PLEASE OLYMPUS DO NOT INCREASE THE PIXEL COUNT! I don't care if it's better at noise that the previous sensor or not. If you keep it around 4-5MP lower you gain 1-2 stops of increased noise performance. I think it's cool that Sony did that with its 12MP A7s. Also DON'T COPY GM1! I bought a Pentax Q to play with as a macro/tele monster which is the size of the GM1 and it is too small to hold the lenses without it tilting backwards like the GM1. Plus the GM1 has no stabilization and no shutter at certain shutter speeds. GM1 a nice camera? Yes, but's the P&S of m4/3s and that's not what a lot of us are looking for because we have larger lenses and need a full two curtain shutter at all speeds.

I'm happy with my PM2 so the only thing I'd like to see is a PM2 with 5-axis because 2-axis blurs photos a bit. Screw-in grip like on the PL5 is another important feature I'd pay for. And if they wanted to make this an all-aluminum body camera and increase the price I'd be fine with it but at this point I actually prefer the plastic. It really is harder to scratch plastic, which seems weird but I think it's because the plastic is more slippery. Plus plastic is better in the cold. Electric shutter, focus peaking...I don't need that really. Heck, they could do that in firmware.

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've always felt there should only be 2 PENs. A mini and the flagship. The Lite never made sense to me even though it seems to sell well due the fact the EPx is always like $200 overpriced.. I think the Mini needs a bit of cleaning up while the EP5 is near perfect.. so not sure other then weather sealing, better battery life or some type of electronic shutter option what could be added to it that cant be done via Firmware updates - unless better video codecs need some type of chip improvement. So for me.. disappoint that Olympus continues to focus efforts on the EPL series.. vs. dropping the price of the EPx line and cleaning up the mini a bit more.

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I've always felt there should only be 2 PENs. A mini and the flagship. The Lite never made sense to me even though it seems to sell well due the fact the EPx is always like $200 overpriced.. I think the Mini needs a bit of cleaning up while the EP5 is near perfect.. so not sure other then weather sealing, better battery life or some type of electronic shutter option what could be added to it that cant be done via Firmware updates - unless better video codecs need some type of chip improvement. So for me.. disappoint that Olympus continues to focus efforts on the EPL series.. vs. dropping the price of the EPx line and cleaning up the mini a bit more.

Really? I really love me E-PL2 (though the body probably looks more like the modern EP5 than the EPL5.

That said though, what I never did understand is how someone would want to pay $1000 for that body (though admittedly with MUCH nicer guts). :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom