If you print, do you frame?

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I agonized over this for awhile. I print for myself for display in our house. I have framed a few nice prints for a few rooms.

I quickly discovered that an obsession with archival techniques leads to one of two possible outcomes:

- Insanely expensive (e.g. low reflection glass, controlled gallery lighting)
- Severely degrades viewing of the print (e.g. reflections, reduced Dmax and Dmin)

In the end I've concluded that since I can reprint whenever I want, that printing techniques I use are just fine for multiple years (but not decades) of uncovered display that I am forgoing any sort of cover on the print. This results in a much better viewing experience within the constraints of home display. Obviously if you were displaying in a gallery already with controlled lighting and attempting to sell to collectors you would take a different approach.

I've also noted that I do want to refresh what is on display with some regularity. I don't have that many places in the house to throw up large prints. Having a kid greatly increased the frequency of changing things, though prior to the kid I did enough trips that refresh was already an issue.

At this point I considered creating a wall or walls and a system of matching frames and mats cut to my most common output that would be easy to change. I still think this might be a great thing to do, but in the interim...

Steel sheets. Finally did this a couple years ago and it is *awesome*. I took over one wall in our breakfast room, nearly floor to ceiling and almost a whole wall. I also put a smaller installation in my office. Got tiny rare earth button magnets. Can directly mount as many prints as I want in any arrangement of any size and change as often as I want. Imagine converting a wall into a giant refrigerator door now waiting for you to put up dang near anything. In our breakfast room the upper half is photos, both family and landscape. The lower half reserved for our daughter (and on that note for the love of all that is good keep rare earth magnets away from children).

Best photo upgrade I've made to a residence ever. Way, way, way better than framing for my needs. And probably for a lot of people as well, surprised more people don't do this.

Best of all, the sheets mount directly into dry wall with small screws - so if you move out take them with you and just patch some screw holes.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Ken, no doubt you are right but so far I have revived the best color accuracy from costco. I was very disappointed in the university printing (this is the SEC after all so image is very important) they were very helpful though and the director even met with me. the biggest problem is finding time b/ 8 and 5 to get back over there.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Mu-43 mobile app

The beauty, and the difficulty, of working with Costco is that they have hundreds of labs, so while you should normally get a reasonable product, you can sometimes also get a very good product. In general, I have been lucky withthe labs that print for me, and none has provided me with bad color accuracy. A bit of variation, yes, but no real issues. My reservation with Costco is that they printed my 20x30's on matt papaer from an Epson printer. That combination presents a certain look, and sometimes I really like it, and sometimes I want an image on a different paper surface. Also, one of the prints that I had enlarged by them gave them serious banding issues. This is not necessarily the fault of Costco, but of the paper/ink combination. Like all labs, results can vary, and that is why I suggested giving them a try. And, if you are not happy, Costco will buy back your images, so little is at risk other than time.

--Ken

woody112704

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jared
I've used adoramapix.com for printing and they do a pretty good job. But I just got my test prints back from WHCC and they did a really good job and I like that they have a bunch of different options you can choose to get your pictures mounted onto. I really like the metallic paper and using that you don't need a frame IMO and having them mount it to foamboard or styrene is way cheaper than framing. The first set I'm going to get from them are several metallic paper prints mounted to styrene.

I know everyone is different but that is just my 2 cents.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I've used adoramapix.com for printing and they do a pretty good job. But I just got my test prints back from WHCC and they did a really good job and I like that they have a bunch of different options you can choose to get your pictures mounted onto. I really like the metallic paper and using that you don't need a frame IMO and having them mount it to foamboard or styrene is way cheaper than framing. The first set I'm going to get from them are several metallic paper prints mounted to styrene.

I have used both labs, and have had no IQ problems from either one. The customer service at WHCC, though, is outstanding. They have been a pleasure to work with. Adoramapix missed an important delivery for me, but eventually overnight shipped replacements the next day. It was a bit of teeth pullling, but they did come through in the end. I would continue to use them for certian work, but not on deadline. And the same goes for Bay Photo. Great printing, but the worst customer service with respect to their production and scheduling, especially during busy times of year.

--Ken

BlackOakMo

Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the t cents woody. Can't hurt to give it a try. I have so little background in all this that I've yet to form any biase. Heck I only recently learned to capture something worth printing :D

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Mu-43 mobile app

BlackOakMo

Mu-43 Regular
I use photo ledges throughout our house, so I can easily swap out photos, and keep things fresh.

thanks, hadn't really thought about how to mount to the wall yet:) I had a vague idea of making something similar but more in the shaker style. (btw, I can make fine furniture but if I get into making my own frames I'll stop taking pictures - one of those facts of life )

Sent from my phone using Mu-43 mobile app

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
One of the things that seems to have disappeared from houses a long time ago are dado rails, or picture rails. These were a fantastic way to hang paintings, but I guess with lower ceiling houses and modern designs, these have fallen out of favour.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
With mine it depends on the intended use.
If it's just for the clubs monthly competition the print gets used direct from the inkjet.

For exhibitions it can be:
Laminated but otherwise unmounted, for those where the photos are in a marque overnight. (Otherwise they get damp)
Mounted, but not framed. Generally a cheap solution that still allows the photo to look good, prefered at the local library.
Or mounted and framed, which works out as an expensive option but is prefered by some locations who thus get a larger cut of any sales.

The laminated ones get reused at home as place mats, but I've long sinse run out of wall space for the others.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
For me the problem with print services is their choices of paper. Printng at home I can do up to A3+ paper and using any paper I care to purchase. I got our Canon Pixma Pro-1 printer new for half price on Ebay. I get my Canon inks on Ebay for half price. Printing at home does not have to cost a fortune.

We have a mat cutter. But we usually print to standard size images like 11x14. At shops like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Jo Anne's, you can get good deals on standard frame and mat packages. And of course look for sales on custom matting at those stores. One of our photo clubs has a deal with Blick's, a art supply store, where we can get frames, mats, and art glass (not plexiglass) packages. My wife also gets a 10% off discount as a retired teacher. Every discount and sale helps. :wink:

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I use adoramapix a lot too. They have some really good sales on large prints, books and other stuff. I have had a few hiccups (lost shipment and a blemish), but they always do a good job of making it right. I love to print on canvas, but have limited wall space and trouble deciding what is "print worthy". When it comes time to print and spend $, I become very self critical and indecisive..lol..speaking of, I have two prepaid prints I have to use up at Simply canvas (simplycolor). They do good work, but I find their site cumbersome to use and only purchase when they have really good discounts.

The nice thing about canvas is not having to worry about framing or splurging on non reflective glass...and they look great. Probably cheaper in the long run. Easy to hang and move too.

Tom M

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom
I have just started to frame my prints. The best prices I have found are from Frame Destination. They have standard and custom sizes, and you can customize the selection of frame(metal and wood), mounting board, mat, and glazing. And great customer service.

barry

Super Moderator
IKEA has 12x16" matted wood frames for ~$20USD; larger sizes are $25-40.
They claim to use acid free materials ('pH neutral').

The 12x16" is sold as "15 ¾ x 19 ¾" (the size if the mat is removed):
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/productAlternative/?partNumber=10156326#/90185810

Costco doesn't print 12x16" but they print 12x18" so I put a 1" border on each side.

The Costco by me prints on Fuji 'archive' photo paper at 12x18" for around $3; so far so good.

Barry

woody112704

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jared
I haven't been on here in a while. But about a week ago I got a couple prints back from WHCC. I love the metallic paper and had it mounted to the styrene, man are they stunning. I found a way to hang them up and keep them pushed out from the wall a bit. I'm really impressed with WHCC. Here's a link to the site where I found out how to hang them. http://www.jaywatson.com/blog/2010/04/16/float-mounting-photos/

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I buy used frames for $1 and spray paint them black. If the frame is too large, Such as 11x14, black construction paper goes good behind an 8x10. A 4x6 with black paper behind it in a black 5x7 frame looks very classy. Plus you're happier knowing you did more work and paid less :)

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I frame some with stuff from Michaels, but prefer canvas prints..costs ends up about equal and no glare problems...problem is oftentimes I can't decide what is worth printing and have limited wall space.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I have used both labs, and have had no IQ problems from either one. The customer service at WHCC, though, is outstanding. They have been a pleasure to work with. Adoramapix missed an important delivery for me, but eventually overnight shipped replacements the next day. It was a bit of teeth pullling, but they did come through in the end. I would continue to use them for certian work, but not on deadline. And the same goes for Bay Photo. Great printing, but the worst customer service with respect to their production and scheduling, especially during busy times of year.

--Ken

I've used Adoramapix quite a bit too...they do have metallic papers & pretty good selection of options FWIW. I recently got a few canvases too, which were on par with what I get from Simplycolorlab.com. I did have my order disappear in the shipping process, but they reprinted it and refunded my shipping charges. I have had a few issues like this with adoramapix, but they always take care of it promptly when it happens and I've been satisfied with their work (prints, canvas, books, metal). Simply color does good work, but I hate ROES, which I only recently found out is used by many other labs too. Their ordering system is a bit cumbersome, but no complaints about the product. MPix was good too, but only ordered there once.

Everyone raves about WHCC. I haven't tried them yet. I'm tempted lately by blackriverimaging. Might give them a try.

I may try mounting my own sometime. When adoramapix has their next 16x20 for $5 print sale....and mount on foam core from craft shop.

peterpix

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Randal
[QUOTE

Is custom framing the only other option? I could see this for special cases and even selecting special colored matting to complement the image but, frankly, that’s more than I could handle for now (because of limited artistic skills and financial means). ?[/QUOTE]

Try American Frame, reasonable prices and quick service. Sort of requires you to have similar final print sizes if you order 8-10 frames to save money, especially shipping. I've been printing on 17 x 22 sheets with Epson 3800 which results in a 15-16 inch print by 20. I also have ordered just pre-cut mats and back boards, then switch photos out of existing frames. One problem wit framing everything is what to do with all those prints, unless you have lots of wall space or you find a way to sell lots of prints. And if you are selling best to use archival mats and back boards

emorgan451

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use photo ledges throughout our house, so I can easily swap out photos, and keep things fresh.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20126065/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20126065/#/50152595

I use mpix to print out all my stuff, fast processing, and moderately priced for a nice product. I opt for the single/double matte (depending on the size of the print), as well as the lustre coating.

I've also used their framing service as well (for presents)...nice stuff, especially the non-glare matted stuff.
]

Are you using regular mpix or mpix pro? I have a wedding photographer friend who suggested mpix pro, but I don't make money from it to have the "pro" account. I haven't found on regular mpix where you can do the test prints/calibration like you can with the mpix pro. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the ledges idea and link. I think my wife will really like that.

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
Real Name
Clint
Are you using regular mpix or mpix pro? I have a wedding photographer friend who suggested mpix pro, but I don't make money from it to have the "pro" account. I haven't found on regular mpix where you can do the test prints/calibration like you can with the mpix pro. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the ledges idea and link. I think my wife will really like that.

Regular mpix...didn't know there was a pro site.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
It all depends on the work and where it is going to be shown, with various sets being on mounted on Foamex (not foam core) but after a show you end up with a load of large mounted prints to store. In our lounge and a couple of times work has been framed, currently I am looking at custom made stickers and stapling prints to a wall, the work has a more rough edge to it and frames will detract from it. The work has been printed in various sizes up to A0 (Foamex) in the past.

Latest threads

Top Bottom