Have anyone taken pictures with Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200/2,8-3,5 SWD and the EM-1?

dogs100

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Geoff
Doh!! Thanks. I had updated the camera but not the lens ... hopefully that and a better technique will solve the problem.

ScottGee1

Mu-43 Regular
Not the best photo anyway, it seems out of focus but it is the 'flatness' I am curious about
Well, telephoto focal lengths do tend to 'flatten' perspective but, to be frank, nothing about that pic looks 'right'.

The only way I've found to reliably test a lens is to conduct a controlled test, i.e., put the body on a solid tripod, focus manually, set the self timer, lock up the mirror (unless it's mirrorless of course ;)) and shoot with a series of aperture settings at preferred focal lengths. Of course your subject should be consistently lit and stationary to allow valid comparison.

Years ago I bought a used lens that looked new but could never get decent results even when carefully used. My service guy checked it and determined that internal elements were misaligned, likely due to impact. That's one of the downsides to plastic bodied lenses; they do not necessarily reflect their history.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 'flat' look seems more like simply have bad light (i.e. dull, flat, washed out light). Lenses aren't magic. Poor light = subpar photograph. Even with the greatest of lenses. The duck seems to be shot on a nice and flatly lit grey overcast day.

I can say I loved the results I got from the 50-200 and E-M1 (even before the upgrade):
15328431381_d11911e5c4_s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Speak No Evil by mattia_v, on Flickr

15144650079_6148cabb12_s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P5311562_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Edited in DxO Optics, because yes, that's sometimes necessary whith more difficult light :)

dogs100

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Geoff
I am sure it was me and not the lens. I think I had changed the white balance in error instead of ISO, trying to be clever I did it without looking. It shoots ok now

laithstevens

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Laith
I have an EM1 and I am looking at getting the 50 - 200 mm non SWD can anyone tell me what exact 1.4x teleconverter I need and how that will fit in with the 43 to M43 adaptor. I am a bit puzzled as to what to get. Any suggestions or advice you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Phocal

God
I have an EM1 and I am looking at getting the 50 - 200 mm non SWD can anyone tell me what exact 1.4x teleconverter I need and how that will fit in with the 43 to M43 adaptor. I am a bit puzzled as to what to get. Any suggestions or advice you can provide will be very much appreciated.

This adapter will give you full control and maintain weather sealing: MMF-3 Four Thirds Adapter | Olympus

You can get the MMF-1 or MMF-2 but they are only a few dollars cheaper, so may as well get the weather sealed one.

Here is the 1.4x TC you need: EC-14 1.4x Teleconverter Lens - Lens Converters - Lens Accessories - Accessories | Olympus

Provided the official links so you can see exactly what you need. Personally I would look for used copies to save some cash. Although when I got my MMF-3 I could not find any much cheaper so got new. My EC-14 came with my 50-200 SWD, which I got a really great deal on.

Anymore questions just ask, lots of experience using these lenses available on these forums.

Ronnie

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
This adapter will give you full control and maintain weather sealing: MMF-3 Four Thirds Adapter | Olympus

You can get the MMF-1 or MMF-2 but they are only a few dollars cheaper, so may as well get the weather sealed one.

Here is the 1.4x TC you need: EC-14 1.4x Teleconverter Lens - Lens Converters - Lens Accessories - Accessories | Olympus

Provided the official links so you can see exactly what you need. Personally I would look for used copies to save some cash. Although when I got my MMF-3 I could not find any much cheaper so got new. My EC-14 came with my 50-200 SWD, which I got a really great deal on.

Anymore questions just ask, lots of experience using these lenses available on these forums.

Ronnie
I also couldn't find a good used MMF-3 so I had to buy a new one. I did find a great deal on a 12-60mm SWD lens and another great deal on 50-200mm SWD with EC-14 included. The great price on these three used optics in very good condition more than made up for the price of a new MMF-3!
Also note that both lenses and tele-converter work great with the E-M1. :cloud-9-039:
Bobby :coffee-30:

Last edited:

soliony

Mu-43 Rookie
Some people may want m4/3 purely for size and don't understand why anyone would want larger lenses, but they tend to forget, or not understand, that there is a significant array of outstanding 4/3 lenses that now perform better on m4/3 bodies than they ever did on 4/3 bodies.

I'd be very interested to know which 4/3 lenses you'd recommend most highly. Are these primes or zooms or both?

Thanks.

Phocal

God
I'd be very interested to know which 4/3 lenses you'd recommend most highly. Are these primes or zooms or both?

Thanks.

I only own the 50-200 SWD and the 150mm ƒ2.0 and I highly recommend them both. They are not as fast as say the 40-150 Pro in focus speed or aperture speed (not light gathering but actually operation of the aperture), but I have managed to shoot a lot of sports with both lenses. In C-AF they will only shoot at about 6.5fps so just use the Low setting to eliminate the blackout (well most of it anyways). But both very capable for wildlife and sport photography and have outstanding image quality. The 150mm ƒ2.0 is the best lens for IQ that I have ever used (used a lot of Canon L glass over 20 years), there is just something magical about that lens.

Real Name
Walter
I was able to find used MMF-3 and EC-14 quite reasonably on eBay. Maybe it was just the right time. Otherwise, getolympus.com sometimes has them refurbished, but for quite a bit more than on eBay when available used. I got my MMF-3 from a Japanese seller and the service and quality of the product was superb. Dunno about Chinese or Korean sellers, which also appear on eBay. Another source is KEH.com.

I just saw some Olympus MMF-3 adaptors from Japanese sellers for around $117 - 130. Not bad. About what I paid for mine. I see EC-14s from around $200 and up from Japanese sellers. More than I paid, but still cheaper than from other sources.

Note that eBay has imitation MMF adaptors for sale. They may work but I have no experience with them. Doubt that they they have the weather sealing of the MMF-3. I think it's worth getting the real thing.

Last edited:

Phocal

God
I was able to find an MMF-3 and EC-14 quite reasonably on eBay. Maybe it was just the right time. Otherwise, getolympus.com sometimes has them refurbished, but for quite a bit more than on eBay when available used. I got my MMF-3 from a Japanese seller and the service and quality of the product was superb. Dunno about Chinese or Korean sellers, which also appear on eBay. Another source is KEH.com.

I just saw some Olympus MMF-3 adaptors from Japanese sellers for around $117 - 130. Not bad. About what I paid for mine. I see EC-14s from around $200 and up from Japanese sellers. More than I paid, but still cheaper than from other sources.

Note that eBay has imitation MMF adaptors for sale. They may work but I have no experience with them. Doubt that they they have the weather sealing of the MMF-3. I think it's worth getting the real thing.

Even KEH was out when I was looking. I expected it to take awhile for me find a good deal on a 50-200 but I found one the first day. So had the lens and did not want to wait longer then I had to, so I just got it new.

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
I only own the 50-200 SWD and the 150mm ƒ2.0 and I highly recommend them both. They are not as fast as say the 40-150 Pro in focus speed or aperture speed (not light gathering but actually operation of the aperture), but I have managed to shoot a lot of sports with both lenses. In C-AF they will only shoot at about 6.5fps so just use the Low setting to eliminate the blackout (well most of it anyways). But both very capable for wildlife and sport photography and have outstanding image quality. The 150mm ƒ2.0 is the best lens for IQ that I have ever used (used a lot of Canon L glass over 20 years), there is just something magical about that lens.
Like Phocal I have both the 150f2 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5. They are both great lenses but the 150f2 is simply fantastic.

Among the shorter lenses the 12-60 f2.8-4, 14-35f2 and the 50 macro really stand out. The 12-60 is a really great deal right now on the used market. The 14-35 is not for everyone but it is another stellar lens in the SHG range.

For those not familiar with the 4/3 lenses there were 3 lines much like the current m43 lenses from Olympus. There were the consumer lenses, then the HG series which included the 12-60, 50-200 and 50 macro and the SHG line which had the 14-35f2, 35-100f2, 150f2 and the relatively large and rare 90-250f2.8 and 300 f2.8. The HG and SHG lines are both weather sealed and when used with the MMF-3 are weather sealed on the E-M1.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter

I'd recommend the SWD version because I believe it focuses faster, which will be helpful on the EM1. As noted earlier, the EC-14 1.4x teleconverter is a good choice. The EC-20 2.0x teleconverter will also work, but from what I've read, is not quite as satisfactory. I'm very happy shooting kid's sports using the 50-200 SWD with the EC-14. Great results and the weather sealing with the MMF-3 has been a life saver on some very rainy days. Thanks to Phocal and others for showing the way.

Latest threads

Top Bottom