Choosing between Olympus EM1, EM5, EM10 or Panasonic GX7

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by crazyGD, Mar 9, 2014.

1. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

Hi. I'm currently thinking of upgrading my Panasonic GX1 to GX7 or Olympus EM1, EM5, EM10. Heard a lot of good things about these camera. My priorities are light and compact but still balance with telephoto lens, good fast focusing, panorama, video, good at low light conditions and sharp images. The lens that I currently use are Panasonic 20mm & 14-140mm. I like the GX7 compact form factor, tilting evf, touchscreen lcd for focus, panoramic stitching, better video codec and built-in flash. On EM1, I like the 5 axis ibis, grip, ibis on video, weather sealing and good at low light shots. I'm also considering changing the 14-140mm to olympus 12-40mm pro f2.8 + panasonic 35-100mm f2.8. Is GX7 2-axis ibis not as sharp as em1 when using non optical stabilized lens like those of olympus and is the non ibis on video that bad also? How bout olympus video codec, is it really bad? I'm using the camera mostly on out of town trips and partys.
    Advertisement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If the E-M1 is in the running, I'd just get that. It's probably the closest to being the perfect M43 body.

I think it's a bit more complicated when you're juggling the E-M5/E-M10/E-P5 & GX7 since they're all in a similar price bracket.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

I think if you're settled on Oly 12-40 lens, you'd want a good stabilization for this expensive lens. EM10 is probably as compact as GX7 and has a built-in evf and flash. IBIS works for video too unlike GX7.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 All-Pro

Ken
    Will you be doing extensive video editing? If so, then you may want to give additional consideration to the GX7. If not, then you might prefer the 5-way IBIS for video and stills.

--Ken

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

EM10 does't have the 5 way stabilization (its 3 way) so there is no benefit there over the GX7s IBIS. EM10 (and EM5) are both actually MUCH smaller than the GX7. I haven't handled the EM10, but the EM5 is actually too small for me (although I haven't tried it with the optional grip).

I would suggest GX7 or EM1. EM1 is current generation with all the-do dads and 5 way IBIS and has by far the best ergonomics of any of the Olympus cameras (for me they often fell short there), EM10 is an entry level camera and doesn't really offer anything over the GX7 (and lacks silent mode and touch point focusing), EM5 has the 5 way IBIS but lacks a lot of the features GX7 has (WiFi, silent mode, touch point focusing).

Honestly, I think it comes down to what you really find more useful… rangefinder styling, much better video, silent mode/electronic shutter and the ability to use the touch screen to move the focus point while looking through the EFV on the GX7 side, or SLR styling, weather sealing, 5 way IBIS, both PDAF and CDAF (from what I've read, I'm not sure if there is actually any practical benefit when using native m43 lenses), and usable with 43 lenses on the EM1 side.

On the bright side, all are excellent cameras so you cant really go wrong with any of those choices. All 4 will produce files of similar quality, so it really comes down to handling, features, and usability.

6. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

Does em1 hav touch focusing? What does the lcd do aside from live view, menus and display of recorded pictures.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All the OMDs have touchscreen focus and shutter. It doesn't have the handy AF point selection while using the EVF that the high end Panasonics have. That's the only thing I would like to see changed.

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

I might not have explained myself well. All cameras can use the touchscreen to move the focus point, but only the Panasonics let you use the blank touchscreen to move the focus point while you are looking through the EVF. You can use your thumb or finger on the back touchscreen to move the focus point while your eye is looking through the viewfinder. Panasonic brings that and silent mode/electronic shutter while Olympus EM1 and EM5 bring 5 way IBIS and weather sealing. There are other (smaller) differences, but those are the main ones for most users.

9. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

Oh. I thought olympus doesny offer touchscreen focus.

10. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

One more question do these camera have auto rotate playback features when you have portrait or landscape pictures taken?

11. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

Anybody here also have 12-40mm mounted on GX7? How is its sharpness on still and how good does it handle video w/o ibis if focus to 40mm?

12. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

Is em1 a large camera if coming from gx1?

13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 All-Pro

Ken
    Large is a relative term. Here is a link to camerasize.com that shows the two bodies side by side: http://camerasize.com/compare/#482,183 .

--Ken

14. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Clint
    You have to hold one for yourself to make the judgement call on whether or not it is large...to me the, the grip on the em1 is a blessing to have. I use an LX-7 at work, and my hand starts to cramp up after an hour or so of use...not had that issue with the em1

15. Jacquesass

Jacquesass Mu-43 Regular

A lot of good advice on here for you.

The EM-1 is the current state-of-the-art for still photography in the m43 system; you can also get some great deals now on the well-loved EM-5. If you are sure that you're going to get the O12-40, then you probably should get an Olympus body - you'll appreciate the IBIS in the longer range of that lens. If you are sure you are going to get the P35-100 and are leaning toward a Panasonic body, then you don't necessarily need the longer range of the O12-40 and should probably get the P12-35.

I moved from the GX1(w/ LVF-2) to the GX7 and love it. Better low light pictures, better grip, tilting LCD (great for that over-the-head shot), love having the wifi capability (take a picture of friends, send the pic to your phone and email them the pic within minutes). The GX7 definitely felt bigger than the GX1 at first, but I've gotten used to the bigger grip and the built-in EVF lets the GX7 fit in some cases better. My GX7 IBIS only gets used when I have one of the primes attached and seems to help sharpen up low light pics (but I haven't done any head-to-heads).

Not a huge difference size-wise between any of these bodies. If you have the old 14-140, this lens + GX1 is heavier than the GX7 + 12-35 (and the same weight as the EM-1 + 12-40).

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.412,472.336,183.34,ha,t

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

It felt quite a bit bigger to me, but so does my GX7. The GX1 is very compact. If you value small size over having an EVF and better ergonomics (although the GX1 handles great for a small camera), maybe look at the GM1.

17. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Other than the larger and significantly more expensive EM1, the E-P5 is the best choice by a strictly objective measure of features. With the VF-4 it has the best viewfinder available (plus, it tilts -- big win), along with ISO 100, 1/8000s shutter speed, 5 axis IBIS, built-in flash, WiFi communication, and so on. In terms of ergonomics I also prefer the PEN line, but YMMV.

18. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

What's the lowest iso for GX7, EM5/em1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Scott
    ISO 200.

The E-M1 has a fake ISO 100.

20. crazyGD

crazyGD Mu-43 Rookie

What do you mean fake iso100?