E-M1 rear dial skipping

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamespetts, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have noticed that the rear dial on my E-M1, which I have set to change the aperture in aperture priority mode, the shutter speed in shutter priority mode, etc., has an annoying tendency to skip in that turning the dial often has no effect and it must quite often be turned a number of times to increment or decrement the aperture (etc., according to the mode). Is this a problem that anyone else has had? It has seemed to do this from new and it is rather annoying.

2. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mine is fine.

4. hakoch2

hakoch2 New to Mu-43

just got my epm2 back from repair and works geeat. Hope Olympus improves their dials on their future products.

5. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Similar problem with E-PL5 - sent in for repair - returned in a week - worked fine for several weeks - starting to jump around again. They have to do something to improve these turn and press controllers - they're just not interfacing reliably. Too many reports of people having difficulties with different model cameras from Olympus.

6. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

I'm resurrecting this thread because my lightly used E-M1 is now displaying this same issue with the rear dial intermittently not working. Obviously this is a defect that occurs at some low level on the rear dial of more than 1 Olympus body. I found discussion threads on Flickr and dpreview about it. My camera is no longer under warranty, so Olympus has a flat fee of $184 for any repair! I shipped it back today, but I'm griping loudly and asking Olympus to waive the $184 fee.

Dave :mad:

7. demiro

demiro has left the building Subscribing Member

Dean

I'd be getting loud about that too Dave. This plagues a great many (if not all) of the Olympus bodies, and has for some time. No excuse for not fixing it by the time the E-M1 came out. Charging you $184 for a known defect is akin to robbery imo. Good luck with. Keep us posted.

8. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Possible help

When this happened with my E-PL5 I was told to try canned air around the wheel. It helped a bit, but I did send it in for repair underwarranty.

UNFORTUNATELY, after repair the same jumping of settings started happening again regularly when I had to send it in OUT OF WARRANTY for repair of another issue - it just wouldn't work, and the wheel was fixed yet again. That was several months ago and the same issue hasn't happened again.

Now that I think of it - I probably should have used the extra year's warranty I got when I charged the camera on my Visa card - completely forgot about it!

Isabel

9. barry13

barry13 Mu-43 All-Pro

Barry
    Mine sometimes seems like it doesn't work when I turn it a single click, but always works on the next click.

Should I be worried? It's done this since new and I haven't noticed it's getting worse. Warranty will be up next month.

Barry

10. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Veteran

Stephen
    That's how mine started and now the back wheel is barely responsive at all.
    I have to spin it around and around to get it to move the setting.
    I have resorted to work-arounds to avoid using the wheel but it's a PIA.
    I bought my camera used, so have no warranty,
    but I'm angry that such a basic control is so poorly designed on an expensive camera,
    especially since it had already appeared on other Olympus models.

It would be nice if someone with legal chops could threaten a class action suit -
    they would have hundreds of cosigners if not thousands.
    That's what it took to get Nikon to finally respond to the D600 mess.

So, yes, you should be worried
    and if it were me, I'd send it for repair before the warranty expires.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kimo

kimo Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

kimo
    • Like Like x 2