My initial impression of the Godox/Cheetah V850s and AD-360

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
I saw this, and as neat as it is, the price tag is really hard to swallow. It cost me $30 to outfit my two flashes with grids. I mostly just use 1/8 CTO gels for now, so a sheet of that is cheap enough, not too much more to the cost. But it is very impressive looking.

[...]

It's not cheap, for sure. I wouldn't buy it just for the grids (it really isn't that big a deal to strap on a velcro snoot/grid when I need one). But it was worth it to me for the gels. Makes it so easy to slap a CTO gel or two on/off basically instantly with different lighting conditions, and not having to worry about gel films fluttering away or applying gaff tape :thumbup:

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
the problem with grids on speed lights and other mount systems is alignment :) why I think its so cool :)

when the gel swatch kits used to be free I picked up about 4 of them so have plenty of gels that are flash head size :)

Linh its tough again I think its if you truly want a portable setup and how often you work remote that it matters and of course as discussed modifiers in use and other things

I dont think they are much replacements for Einsteins as they are there own thing ? and both or just one setup can do the needs it would depend on your main use of lights if I worked outside/remote more than half I would try to work my kit around it if I worked in my own studio then I would go with monos :)

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I dont think they are much replacements for Einsteins as they are there own thing ? and both or just one setup can do the needs it would depend on your main use of lights if I worked outside/remote more than half I would try to work my kit around it if I worked in my own studio then I would go with monos :)

I don't mean them as replacements for Einsteins really. Most of what I do is on site portrait type things, and a couple of events maybe. A side thing. I'm just trying to debate if the CL 360s would truly be that much more portable than sucking it up w/ the Einsteins and having the power if I need it. I was sorta OK w/ flash, I just went a little crazy cause I wanted to play with actual modifiers =)

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's not cheap, for sure. I wouldn't buy it just for the grids (it really isn't that big a deal to strap on a velcro snoot/grid when I need one). But it was worth it to me for the gels. Makes it so easy to slap a CTO gel or two on/off basically instantly with different lighting conditions, and not having to worry about gel films fluttering away or applying gaff tape :thumbup:
heh, yeah, I don't use gels enough so that's probably why I can't really justify it =) I'm waiting to see what else they come up with, too.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
Linh my thoughts are depends on what modifiers you have or are willing to buy :) or you just want to use your current

I really feel if you want to use regular mounted ones that new godox mount might change the bulk thing quite a bit and the cheetah are nice for recycle and amount of pops you get from the battery and the weight savings if you have a couple etc..

really if I was just moving one or two to a set location and shooting I might not bother if its a wedding or portraits at the park where I end up moving locations a bunch then it might be worth looking into
size weight wise they are half the weight size they are a bit bigger than a speed light ? thicker the new godox popsicle light bracket again could be a changer since it could live in the bag and is flat to begin with

you could easily fit two 360 with batteries in the spot of one einstein with VML I would think my photogenic 1250 are the same as einstein and the size bulk is a huge savings with the 360

is the weight and bulk bugging ya now do you ver go full power ? :) if you are like me I like buying new stuff but I also hate buying stuff that is not needed

jmaher

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
Ad360 with small fold-able beauty dish.

<div class="pixels-photo">
<p>
4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"Photograph Lakeside by James Maher on 500px"></p>
<a href="http://500px.com/photo/62142147">Lakeside by James Maher on 500px</a>
</div>

Jim

13thFloorPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
Sorry to revive...just wanted to share something I took with these lights (360)
P2231687-2.jpg

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
nice to keep it going IMHO :)

cool concept of the light and shadows like stuff like this with black negative space :)

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
Thanks, HappyFish. I love me some low-key photography =)

had done this self for fun a while ago
https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=28511&page=155&p=592547#post592547
similar look (nothing new in concept)

kinda meant to say good concept or pose with the curves :) you will find my writing style is more spoken or think of me speaking to you hahaahah :) and have to get better about separating my terms and also figure most know what I mean or Da Kine :)
so think you saying what do you think of my low key shot me saying cool concept of the light and shadows (should have said showing edges or rim only and like it when I do this to not try to include any background which ya kinda see sometimes :)

also liked the curves and posing
would be fun to see a version taking out(burning) the left side of the outfit leaving that out or barely visible since nothing on her face is touching the ride side don't allow her outfit to touch the right side either :)
almost making it one of those profile looking cut out art things :) but in photo :)

not sure if you used a grid squared it up then put them to the side of it kinda light which can work well for this or what :)

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Well since it is a thread about impressions of the Cheetah AD360 and V850, I will give mine. My AD360 and V850 arrived Thursday afternoon and wouldn't you know it, the worst rain storm in years hits the SoCal area where I live. Today (Saturday) I had a model shoot scheduled, but cancelled it, as it was planned for outside.

So for a day and a half I have been playing with the lights inside. I am extremely impressed with the quality and build of the lights, as well as the menus, ease of operation, and especially how easy it is to change the power function of the lights via the rotating dial or via the transmitter. Having 4 Nikon speedlights, 2 SB800 and 2 SB900’s with PW TT5 triggers for all of them, has taught how valuable it is to change power from the camera. I mostly shoot manual and rarely use TTL with multiple lights, as hey, I am smarter than a computer chip and know what I want when dealing with 3 or 4 lights. :wink:

A few observations:
AD360, at ISO 200, 1/1 full power and at 10' from subject with either the standard or umbrella reflector attached I am getting F25 (without the diffuser gel). It drops to F22 with a single diffuser gel and F20 with 2 gels. At 1/2 power it is F20 without gels and at ISO 100 at 1/1 power it is F18. Going to try my metal BD and 20" collapsable one later, but I got to believe it is more than enough power to blast away in full daylight. The AD360 with 4500 battery pack recycles very fast at 1/2 or 1/4 power, less than a second. At less then 1/4, the unit is ready instantaneously.

The V850 is very easy to use. Haven't tested the power output though, as it will be used for fill mostly. It too recycles very fast. The receiver uses a 4 pin socket which is a bit more secure than the USB port of the AD360 receiver, but the same transmitter works for both units.

In testing these units I put the lights in Apollo soft boxes. Not once has the transmitter/receiver failed to fire in about 500 flashes. The transmitter changes in power are immediate on the flash, and you do not have to dump a flash like you do with Alien Bees to make the change register. Also, I read someone complaining about the time it takes to make changes. After setting the group dial to the proper number, it is about 1 second to rotate the dial from 1/1 to 1/128 power. This is a non-issue for me and it is a lot easier than my Nikon CLS or Pocket Wizard systems.

However, there is a small issue with the V850 when it goes to sleep. It can only be woken up by hitting a button on the flash. The V850 manual says you can do this, OR either hit the camera shutter button or hit the test button on the transmitter. But unfortunately neither of these remote options work. I sent an email to Ed Tang at Cheetah Friday evening about this. He called me Saturday morning, after being on the phone with the Godox engineer in China for about one hour discussing this issue! Ed confirmed that neither remote option the manual lists will wake the V850 from sleep and this was upsetting to him. He says Godox is working on it and hopefully this will work in future units. It really it is no big deal, as the sleep setting is user adjustable and I will set mine to Off or 60 minutes for most shoots. With the Lithium battery this is not a big drain like it would be on 4 double AA’s.

Overall I am very happy with these lights and triggers!

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Poolside set- 1st Photos with CL360 & V850

OK, trying to revive this thread. Nothing like girls in bikinis to help do that…..

Finally got a day to try out the new Cheetah lights, a AD360 and V850. I went minimal with the smallest light modifiers I could. For the CL 360 I used the standard 5" metal reflector with diffuser, the 5" mushroom dome, and for the V850 a really small 6" by 5" white diffuser called the Pocket Box. It does not require any velcro mounted to a speedlite, it has a catchall band of rubber on the inside and a pull tight rubber outer band with velcro.

First 3 are the V850 and the Pocket Box mounted on camera:

EM1 and 45mm@ f/2-Full shade
154805102.jpg

The next 2 are under a scrim, hung over the pool. EM1 and OMD 45mm f/1.8 @2.8
154805100.jpg

This one is a little hot on the face. It is at ISO 100, f/2.8 and 1/250ss with ND2 stop, same setting as the one above and both are the same distance, maybe a foot or two closer and that is why the hot spot.
154805098.jpg

OK, Mandy bears repeating, because…..well... you know why :biggrin: 45mm f/2
154805101.jpg

Next up, the CL 360 photos.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Poolside set- 1st Photos with CL360 & V850

Now for the CL360 Shots

First up is with the 5" mushroom. Outside light hitting the door was bright dappled bright sun. Was able to balance the inside with ambient by using the mushroom, my first time use of it. This particular shot has the mushroom dome turned towards Candace and you can see the shadows at her feet and head, it was shot at 1/2 power. The top of the mushroom is at about 2/3 stop more light than the sides. EM1 with 12-40mm at 19mm @f/3.5, ISO 100, 1/250ss.

154805090.jpg

Next up is Candace with the mushroom turned upwards, but at full power. Nice balance with the ambient (door exterior lit from sun, CL360 at model left, about 8' inside door).
154805091.jpg

Back to poolside, it is almost 5PM the day before daylight savings started. Shot with the 45mm @f/3.5, 1/250 ss and the 5" standard reflector with 1 diffuser at 1/2 power.
154805092.jpg

And to close, a shot with the 75mm and 5" reflector with 1 diffuser at 1/2 power. This was the last shot of the day and it was pretty dark out, maybe should have gone to ISO 200 or up to 1/2+0.7 in power.
154805096.jpg

Overall I am pretty impressed with the Cheetah lights. So easy to adjust power on the go. The small diffusers did a good job at this shoot, IMHO. Next week more girls in bikinis for a bathing suit company, but these will most likely be shot with large softboxes.

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now for the CL360 Shots

And to close, a shot with the 75mm and 5" reflector with 1 diffuser at 1/2 power. This was the last shot of the day and it was pretty dark out, maybe should have gone up to 1/2+0.3 in power.
154805096.jpg

Overall I am pretty impressed with the Cheetah lights. The small diffusers did a good job, imho, at this shoot. Next week more girls in bikinis for a bathing suit company, but these will most likely be shot with large softboxes.

Thanks for posting very interesting :wink: examples!
But this last photo.. looks like the light was focused to her butt?

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for posting very interesting :wink: examples!
But this last photo.. looks like the light was focused to her butt?

Yeah, I guess it kinda does, that and her raised right leg. Thanks for pointing the out. The 5" wide reflector was on a light stand straight out from the opening of the waterfall, so the light is coming about 10' from camera right, just like the photo above this one of her spanning over the waterfall taken 10 minutes before. But as I mentioned it was the last photo of the day and pretty dark, so I moved to camera left to pick up some natural light too. I should brought the light more towards me when I moved or made adjustments to the ISO or light power as it seems to be dropping off her upper body pretty quick due to the small size of the metal reflector. Normally I would use a 20" diffused beauty dish or a Wescott Orb for a shot like this with my alien bees and this would not have been as noticeable. But this day was for learning about the new lites and the standard reflector and mushroom dome.

13thFloorPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
SpecFoto, thanks again for sharing your shots with us. Under what conditions would you choose the mushroom dome over the standard reflector or umbrella? I know it will do a great job filling a room with light, but wanted to know if you found a different use for it. I am intrigued by that modifier

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I was never a fan of the Gary Fong thingie so I haven't used this type of reflector before. I think filling a (smaller) room is its best purpose that I can see. Do any architectural interior photography? Put a couple of these spread around a room hidden behind furniture and wow, I bet light would be pretty decent. Other uses could be putting the light on the floor, behind a model, in trying to lite up a backdrop or maybe even providing a silhouette possibly, but that one needs to be tested.

In the photos of the model at the front door, it was very bright and contrasty outside. The mushroom made the interior levels pretty close to the exterior, say F9 vs. F11 to 14, and therefore a balance of ambient was achieved. And that level of light was pretty uniform across the room, which most soft boxes or reflectors will not give you. In both of my shots there are no whited out highlights from the glass in the doors, you can see the house across the street. Not that everyone would want a balanced interior and exterior, but in my case I did. So for the $18 I paid for, I can see carrying this around, especially since it fits nested inside the standard reflector. That is assuming you take the light modifier off, which I do as I put all the circular modifiers inside it and carry in a small sandwich bag to limit the scratches.

OK, your turn, post some photos using these great lights and why you chose to use them. I have a bikini manufacturers shoot on Saturday and a beach shoot on Monday, so unless you want to see more girls in bikinis…. someone else needs to post some shots.

13thFloorPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
Father and son...post crossfit competition. Decided to go all out and take a lightstand, softbox and one v850. Had a lot of fun taking portraits of athletes, but this one really stood out to me

P3070098-Edit.jpg

D

Deleted member 16340

Can anyone share experiences using HSS on the 850's with either the Cell II's or other HSS transmitters? The reviewers make it sound great but I'd just like to hear other's experiences. I've been watching these 850's since the reviews started popping out and I'm close to 100% sold on them. I only wish there were units in my local brick and mortar's so I could get a hands on with them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom