Turbo lens / Focal reducer / adapter to m4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by orfeo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Photos of the NOCTAKUMAR set up page 5!

There beginning to ship on the bay. I have just ordered a m42 to m4/3 focal reducer from the bay as it began to be produced and shipping now. I'm eager to receive it and to find out how it fairs.

The first one released was the nikon to m4/3 but I don't have suitable lenses...

Edit: I received the lens booster M42 to m4/3.

Anyway, this is a kind of a placebo while I'm waiting for gathering enough dough to get me some nocticron.

SMC takumar 50mm f1.4 @ 37mm F1.0

SMC takumar 55mm f1.8 @ 42mm F1.2

Here is a test only with the 50mm f1.4, without and with the lens turbo.

50mm f1.4

36mm f1.0

50mm f1.4

36mm f1.0

It's quite nice feature is that it reduces the longitudinal color aberration!

from the sample above again 100% crop

SMC takumar 50mm f1.4 without turbo lens wide open

SMC takumar 50mm f1.4 @ 36mm f1.0 with the turbo lens wide open

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Veteran

Mike

I'd find a Pentax K much more useful than the M42, (it would be easily adapted to m42 anyway) all my wider/faster lenses are PK mount...

It can't have been any harder to design as the optics would be identical!

3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have m42 and PK plain adapters (without optics) for m4/3, and I don't like the wobble I get when I use the m42 to PK adapter...

Trust me a m42 to m43 is rock solid.. I have a collection of SMC takumars, including the 55mm f1.8, 50mm F1.4, 105mm f2.8, 135mm f2.5, 35mm F2.0 so a M42 is actually good for me.

In PK I have the pentax A 50mm f1.2 though, waiting for the suitable lens booster...

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Veteran

Mike

The wobble I get with one of my PK to µ4/3 is pretty severe, but I've never had issues with the M42 to PK adapters (I've loads of them!)

5. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Strangely enough, I have two copies of the genuine pentax M42 to PK adapters and there is wobble in both of them on PK DSLR or adapters /NEX/M4/3(more like a rotation than a wobble)..
    The PK to m4/3 adapter I have is poor china made, there is wobble in the PK side and in the M4/3 side, so not that reinsurring for me. On the other hand the Kipon M42 to M4/3 I have is really nice.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dara

I'd love to see some real comparisons between these and native lenses. So far the only samples I've been able to find seem to be video or low-resolution Holga-esque 'art' shots. Basically, whether it's in the same ballpark optically as the Metabones version...

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm interested in the PentaxK reducer for my favourite Cosina 50mm, point me to any reviews and testers out there?

8. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

While I search deep (as there are so few compared to speed boosters) what I read is that central sharpness is increased while corner suffers like speed boosters . there is an issue when light sources are near the frame of in the frame: u get blue blobs

9. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Patrick Kristiansen

I'm very interested in this as well, I'll be paying attention to this thread. Is it the mitakon that is in question? I'm contemplating wether to leitax-adapt some OM glass to f-mount and then speedboost it...

10. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Its not even the mitakon although the one I ordered looks like its made by the same factory. At this point I'm ready to have one cheap instead of the metabones because its not even out yet and its not OK price wise.

Link of a nice discussion about the cheap lens boosters
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3486063?page=11

There is also a forum for video makers but I can't find it now. They refer to Chinese website fora and I saw there full sized sample . it looks like metabones quality!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

M42 to micro4/3rds is available ... but I can't find any doing Pentax-K direct to micro 4/3rds :(
    I don't much like the shim from M42 to Pentax-K, although I wonder how such a combination behaves on the focal reducers ...

12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Hasse

This is only for APS-C sized sensors. There are no bad corners on m43 Metabones Speedboosters... unless the lens itself is terribad...

13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Except this thread is more about the Mitakon/Ghongyi Lens Turbo and cheaper knock-offs. A Metabones starts at $399 while these are $99-139. Hopefully the performance does not fall off as fast as the price.

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I would love an MD to µ4/3

• Like Like x 2
  15. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Metabones offer a MD to m43 focal reducer/speed booster for a substantial amount of dosh! I really want one too!

16. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Me three! I'd buy a Canon FD for sure, and probably a Minolta SR/MD, too.

17. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

I found the link of the tests...
    The bad corner performance may be due to the turbo lens amplifying the field curvature it seems.
    The designer of the optics in the metabones is bashing the turbo lens with an ultra fast lens (85mm f1.5) and it seems on purpose as the bigger the rear element, the least compatibility with the focal reducer you get.
    Also 1.4 to 1.8 50mm seems like a good bet to have a very nice portrait lens in m4/3 land. It's all here:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/testforum/topic/1216015/0
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3548321
    http://cheesycam.com/mitakon-lens-turbo-chart-tests-gh3/
    http://lenscraze.blogspot.co.il/2014/01/focal-reducer-072x-with-ef-mount-m43.html <==== I bought this one but m42 to m4/3 ( bizarly the link on eBay is now blocked to those adapters...)

Disclaimer: I still haven't received mine so take all these statesments on the internet with the regular antitrust filter as you would normaly ^^!

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dara

Wow, some of those samples are quite discouraging. Considering those tests are on a 16MP NEX and m4/3 is even more demanding of high resolving power, that's not exactly good news.

19. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

It looks like it, but dig a little more, some samples are actually pretty good. I don't know if there are updates in optics in those cheap focal reducers but in the last link you actually get decent quality. The worst example is posted 4 months ago by b.Caldwell, and he is the designer of the original and less likely to praise those Knock offs...

Still I'm worrying about my purchase, it will not work with my pentax A 50mm f1.2 for sure seeing the bad results there.. I still have hope for my smc takumars 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 though...

20. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Patrick Kristiansen

A few look really bad, on nex bodies. They include the corners of the original lens. I wonder if m43 sensors is at an advantage, as they are cropping away the worst bits.

The bad corners on a flat resolutionchart is also likely as mentioned, due to an increase in field curvature. When shooting threedimensional stuff, a non issue.

Orfeo: Please keep us posted on your findings:) very curious about this. Which version did you order? Edit: noticed you've written pentax.