Any thoughts on the National Geographic Explorer NG 2343 Small Shoulder Bag?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jambaj0e, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Now that the Tamrac Express 5,6 and 7 are out of the question for my Olympus E-PL1, I'm looking at the National Geographic NG 2343 Earth Explorer Small Shoulder Bag. Thing that I'm kinda worried about this is that it's a little thick. Any comments/experience on it? I really like this bag BECAUSE it doesn't look like a camera bag

National Geographic NG 2343 Earth Explorer Small NG 2343 - B&H

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Advertisement

2. jambaj0e

3. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

The NG Explorer 2343 is appealing because it looks like a safari bag and not a camera bag, and it's made of cotton-hemp and not a synthetic. But it's 22cm/8.6" high, which is too deep for the Olympus E-PL1 with its small body and lenses, unless you have a long zoom lens that needs the space. And since it is only 16cm/6" wide it's too narrow to put the E-PL1 with a lens attached and another lens side by side. Instead the equipment has to be stacked, which means you'll have to take things out of the top to get to the bottom.

Consider the Domke F-5XB. It's similar to the NG bag because it's made of cotton and it doesn't look like a camera bag. It's 25cm/10" wide, 18cm/7.25" high, and 11cm/4.5" deep, long enough to put the E-PL1 with a zoom lens attached, a lens under the camera, and an extra lens beside it. It's a great take everywhere bag because it has space for extra lenses but it's not big enough to be a burden to carry for long periods of time.

4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Malcolm
    I have the NG2345 (Medium) and I think it's great. The removeable padded insert can be adjusted and the camera can be put in left side down (from the back) which makes it easy to grab & remove. Lots of pockets for odds and ends.

5. jambaj0e

Can you take pictures of the bag next to the gears you carry, and several pictures with you or someone else wearing it? That way I can see how big it is relative to the gear and person. Thanks!

6. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Malcolm
    I won't be able to do much for a few days but in the meantime there is a video review on this Amazon review page. By the way I should have said 'Midi' , medium is the next one up.

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: National Geographic Midi Shoulder Bag

This is on the shoulder

[​IMG]

7. jambaj0e

Are you sure that the big would be too small to put the E-PL1 in one pocket and a lens in the other side? Here's a pic from Amazon. I want to stay light with space for a E-PL1 w/ kit lens (laid on its side with the lens facing to the back of the bag) and one other zoom lens/prime lens

[​IMG]

Here's a Flickr photo with two lens in it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

It looks great. Personally, I hate having shoulderbags, as that shoulder begins to weigh on me after a while. Backpacks support the weight a lot better, and make it easier to trek (no bump...bump...bump as the bag hits your side while you go up some hill or another).

So for normal walking, and short trips it should be fine. However for a day-long trip... I'd go find a good backpack camera bag.

Just my two cents. :]

9. jambaj0e

Good thing National Geographic does carry a backpack in the same style, too! I'd probably grab that sooner or later for hiking

10. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

I bought the same bag for my wife a few months back. She/I don't use it much though, as I found it to be too inconvenient to use for its size (we found it to be too thick/wide). It was a bit too much for us because we always go out with just one body + one lens.

We found the crumpler 4mil home bag to be sized better, though still a bit thick/wide. Now i'm just looking for a nice satchel.

11. jambaj0e

I may be in the same boat as you. Which satchel are you looking into?