Extreme macro with 60mm f/2.8 plus extension tubes?

chonbhoy

Mu-43 Veteran
Rudy from what you say and I believe it makes sense the working distance is reduced when using tubes. The distance from the sensor to the lens mount is just under 20mm so normally the working distance is about 100mm but at 2:1 with tubes the working distance would be 70mm (90mm-20mm)
Would a macro lens for FF that does 1:2 give me 1:1 on m43 and what if we said it had a 50mm FL would the working distance be 100mm (crop factor) minus 20mm (sensor to flange) minus adapter?
I'm just wondering what macro lenses there might be out there that have a lot more usable working distance. It's just a thought.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Rudy from what you say and I believe it makes sense the working distance is reduced when using tubes. The distance from the sensor to the lens mount is just under 20mm so normally the working distance is about 100mm but at 2:1 with tubes the working distance would be 70mm (90mm-20mm)
Would a macro lens for FF that does 1:2 give me 1:1 on m43 and what if we said it had a 50mm FL would the working distance be 100mm (crop factor) minus 20mm (sensor to flange) minus adapter?
I'm just wondering what macro lenses there might be out there that have a lot more usable working distance. It's just a thought.

The whole idea of using extension tubes is to get a closer focussing distance & hence greater magnification than without. The Olympus 4/3's ZD50mm macro lens is a 1:2 lens but when used with the EX25 (25mm) extension tube it is possible to achieve 1:1 (approx). The working distance becomes less (with tubes) when at maximum magnification at the closest focussing distance.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I used the less expensive Fotga extension tubes with the M.Zuiko 40-150 to get close to insects without having to risk spooking them with a lens in their face. It did as well as I expected:

P9194975-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P9194978-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

chonbhoy

Mu-43 Veteran
Anyone thought of trying to stack the 60 with the 12 for 5:1 reproduction? 46mm male to male adapter is all that's needed as long as the 12mm is wide open when it's not connected. I'm not sure if the 12 would need to be focused to infinity for it work and if it's possible to do it while connected then remove it pre-set prior to stacking. I haven't tried it myself as i don't have an adapter. It would be a nightmare to focus but fun to try if at all possible !

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
Mine were hand held with the 40-150 and and both the 16mm and 10mm extension tube. That still gives you a foot or more away from the bug. It's not really extreme macro, as talked about by the OP. But I wanted to show that the tubes could be used with modern lenses, even a zoom. I don't know if they show the lenses to their best advantage, but I was pleased enough with what I got.

Rudy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Anyone thought of trying to stack the 60 with the 12 for 5:1 reproduction? 46mm male to male adapter is all that's needed as long as the 12mm is wide open when it's not connected. I'm not sure if the 12 would need to be focused to infinity for it work and if it's possible to do it while connected then remove it pre-set prior to stacking. I haven't tried it myself as i don't have an adapter. It would be a nightmare to focus but fun to try if at all possible !

I just held up a P20 in reverse in front of the O60 and got 3.8:1 magnification. Working distance is a few mm. Didn't seem impossible to use if it was properly attached and using a macro rail.
I couldn't judge the image quality from my crude test...
Rudy

Rudy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
46mm lens reversing ring

Does anyone know where to buy a 46 mm male-male threaded ring to couple the O60 more permanently to the P20?
This could be a pretty inexpensive way to get some real magnification...
Rudy

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I use the Kenko extension tubes with O45 almost always in bright daylight. Most of my pictures are of flowers rather than bugs. While the O60 Macro has great reviews, extension tubes allow you to "dip your toes" into the macro world. I do love looking at other's real macro work.

Latest threads

Top Bottom