Olympus 14-150 vs Panasonic 14-140?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by worldmatt, Sep 3, 2010.

1. worldmatt

worldmatt New to Mu-43

I'm a very happy user of the Lumix GF-1, but I've never really loved Panasonic's 45-200 lens. Always a little too muted, alas. (I usually stick to the 20mm Lumix pancake.) So, now I'm thinking I'd be happier with either this Olympus 14-150 or the (more expensive) Panasonic 14-140.
    Advertisement

Any thoughts on which is "better"? That is, crisper, faster, sharper, more vibrant, etc.?

2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Peter
    For the GF-1, get the Panasonic lens for the built in IS. The panasonic is reputed to be a little sharper but otherwise there isn't much between the lenses other than cost.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Yeah, I've spent time with both and greatly prefer the Oly (strictly because of size and weight), but for a gf1 I'd definitely go for the Pany. I just wouldn't want that long a lens without some kind of stabilization.

-Ray

4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Go with the Panasonic for the reasons mentioned above me. It's stabilized, it's whisper quiet and silky smooth in video. AF is really quick.

As for price though, this is largely out the window if you shop around the second hand world. On eBay, here, and the few times I see them on Kijiji/Craigslist in my area, prices on the 14-140 are now in line with the Oly 14-150 at between $600-650 USD.

5. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Worldmatt, I am an E-P2 user with a 14-140mm. ;-)

Yes, this lens is sharp during the times between sunrise and sunset. It turns nasty come night fall... ;-)

6. Jerry_R

Jerry_R Mu-43 Regular

Then proper use of flash (eg. FL-36) and still useable :)

PS: Pana 14-140mm is sharper than Oly 14-150mm, as almost all Pana lenses against Oly in u43 family.

7. worldmatt

worldmatt New to Mu-43

Thanks for the feedback, people! Looks like I'm getting the Panasonic lens.

But just to satisfy my curiosity: Is anyone else disappointed with the 45-200, or is it just me?

8. Ray Sachs

A lot of people seem to be. I'm not one of them, but since I got the 14-150 its taken on a very marginal role in my kit. Only pull it out for specialty events - its usually left at home. But I like it a lot in good light and as long as I'm careful with focus - I've gotten a lot of my favorite shots with that lens.

As for Jerry's contention that the 14-140 is sharper, I don't believe the testing bore that out - I think both were strong than the other at some focal lengths, but overall it came out about a wash. Having owned and shot with both (although only briefly with the Pany), I couldn't tell the results apart on a bet. Both are great real world lenses. For an Oly body and someone who doesn't do a lot of video, the Oly seems like an obvious choice to me. For a Pany body or for a video shooter, the Pany is an equally obvious choice. The differences in IQ are probably not something the typical human eye could discern.

-Ray

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator Subscribing Member

In my experience, neither superzoom is crisper, sharper, faster, or more vibrant than the 45-200. I just did a review of the Olympus lens on Serious Compacts with the Panasonic lens presented for comparison.

10. Jerry_R

Jerry_R Mu-43 Regular

LEICA D 14-150 @ 150mm:
    [​IMG]

LUMIX G 14-140 @ 140mm :
    [​IMG]

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-150 @ 150mm:
    [​IMG]

More here:
    ¼g¯u°g - °Q½×°Ï

• Like Like x 4
  11. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Jim Sullivan
    Not realy sure myself because I'm looking at the Panasonic 14 -140 vs. the 45 -200. A little bit more than double in price but think the 14-140 makes more sense w/the Pany 20mm. These lenses will be used on a Olympus Pen P2. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

12. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Lisa
    Does anyone know of a side by side photo of any/all 14-140, 14-150, 40-150 45-200 and 100-300?

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Don
    I can't comment on the 14-150 as I've never used one.

But I have been really impressed with the 14-140. Here's an image that is basically a "grab" shot at a party. GH2. ISO 2500. 14-140 at full 140mm extension. Hand held. 1/15th sec. I'm happy with the sharpness at full extension. And the effectiveness of the OIS is stunning.

[​IMG]

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

If you are going with the long zoom, go with the panny with the panny body. IS really helps at the long end. But the thing with the 14-140 is it a bit heavy compare to what you are uses to. So that is something you need to try out.

The oly 14-150 is a faster focus lens then the panny lenses. But I would not recommend them for the panny bodies because of the IS issue.

15. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Muttley
    I've run a few very unscientific tests of the AF speed of the 14-140 vs. 14-150 on my GH2. According to my eyes, here's what I saw.

On good light, the AF speed of both cameras is roughly the same.

In poor light, the AF of the 14-140 locks on more quickly. The 14-150 does a back and forth prior to locking. However, the back and forth is so quick that it is not horrible. The AF Assist Lamp also seemed to come on more frequently for the 14-150 while at low light.

In almost no light with the help of the AF Assist Lamp, the 14-150 had a better AF lock on rate than the 14-140, although it was still a fairly low lock on rate. The 14-140 would just not lock on with almost no light, even with the AF Assist Lamp.

For some strange reason, the 14-140 didn't seem to be any more or less effective in low light with the AF Assist Lamp on or off. I turned off the lamp altogether, and the 14-140 would still lock on on just fine most of the time in low light.

Just my two cents.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Don
    Thanks to Gwendal for that link. Here's a comparison:

GF-1 w/ 14-140
    [​IMG]

GF-1 w/ 14-150
    [​IMG]

GF-1 w/ 14-150 and overlay of 14-140
    [​IMG]

Length is about the same, 14-140 is a bit fatter.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

The panny is the best choice on a Panasonic since it has OIS.
    I find the Oly no slouch though; using mine right now on my E=PL1 woth VF-2 attached :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ray Sachs

All very accurate, but looking at the numbers and the photos doesn't do the difference justice. I suppose its mostly about weight and even then it doesn't sound like as much as it feels like. Try for yourself, but my bottom line was that the Pany felt like a big heavy lens on a Pen or GF body (and even on a gh2 body) and the Oly didn't feel either large or heavy. The girth of the Panasonic doesn't really come through in those overlays and of course the weight doesn't.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  20. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

More photos i had found. Seems like good photos for reference as far as size goes.

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2