Sony FF mirrorless - game changer?

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Isn't just me but I seem to prefer the rx10 design and think the a7 square look....

Still, if he had ibis it would be a real winner. Still definitely a nice option...

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've got my eyes on it purely for the 'nifty fifty'.......a little let down that it's a 55mm rather than a 50mm (or even a 45mm)....but, it is a Zeiss and its an f1.8 and if it's ANYTHING like the almost flawless Zeiss on the RX1..then lookout !!

I agree 100%- the Zeiss Glass is phenomenal!

The body itself (A7) leaves me wanting a flash and external battery charger- but that is a small price to pay.

slothead

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am not going to read all of the posts that this thread has collected, but have any of them suggested that the A2R sensor is identical to the Nikon D800 sensor. I thought the D800's sensor was made by Sony, and they seem to have the same number of pixels...

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
I hate to say this, but if it was Olympus... spearheading an FF mirrorless I'd be more excited..companies have shown strong commitment to their products with lenses and various bodies.

You have a short memory- remember the *original* 4/3'rds.. :biggrin:

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm wondering what major advantage will a full-frame mirrorless camera have over a FF DSLR?

When I shoot in the streets of NYC, I tend to get tired after carrying a full-size DSLR with a big chunk of Sigma on the end for 3-4 hours covering a 50 city block area.

NOT having the extra weight and smaller footprint *with no sensor compromises* are invaluable.

drewbot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In the end you HAVE to commend Sony on their technical prowess. Let's just hope that Sigma mounts their instant classic 35/1.4!

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Will someone explain to me why Oly has a 4:3 sensor and puts a 3:2 LCD on the back of their camera and Sony have a 3:2 sensor and put a 4:3 LCD on the back of their camera?

Real Name
Nic
In the end you HAVE to commend Sony on their technical prowess. Let's just hope that Sigma mounts their instant classic 35/1.4!

I would argue that what Sony have done with the A7 is more akin to hotrodding (i.e. sticking a big engine in a small chassis and trying to make it all hold together. Technical prowess would be if the camera worked as fast and flawlessly as a top Canon or Nikon, or had the feature set of an E-M1.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I have been following this thread via mobile devices as I have been running around at meetings tonight. I passed on the E-M1 but pre-ordered the 12-40. I love the E-M5 but I have been thinking about other systems from the X-Pro1 to Leica. For me, the a7 is very appealing with their lens roadmap, attractive pricing, along with the possibility of using other glass via an adapter. The form factor is nearly identical to the E-M1 which is another plus. I am looking forward to hearing about its video capabilities as well. I view this a complementary system to my :43: system. Speaking of systems, I see the new GM1 as replacing my E-PM1 as the always with me camera.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I would argue that what Sony have done with the A7 is more akin to hotrodding (i.e. sticking a big engine in a small chassis and trying to make it all hold together. Technical prowess would be if the camera worked as fast and flawlessly as a top Canon or Nikon, or had the feature set of an E-M1.

Yes. And unfortunately they didn't go all the way. A NEX-7 sized body with a full-frame sensor would have been quite a bit smaller. Of course then they would have had build smaller lenses too!

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
Yes. And unfortunately they didn't go all the way. A NEX-7 sized body with a full-frame sensor would have been quite a bit smaller.

Maybe you should go take a look at Camerasize.com. The grip on the A7 is essentially ripped off the NEX-7. I'm not sure why people keep saying it looks like the E-M1 It looks like a NEX grip on an RX1 body with an old Minolta SLR prism hump. And without the EVF hump, they're they same height. With the larger sensor, I'm not sure that the A7 would fit an EVF in that corner without adding some extra height. That's a lot more electronics in that small space than there is for the NEX-7. In any case, the size different is miniscule rather than "quite a bit smaller."

http://camerasize.com/compare/#487,33

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
Some info for NEX A7/A7R lenses info

Screen-Shot-2013-10-15-at-3_08_42-PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
So the Zeiss 55mm/f1.8 is only just marginally larger than the Nokton 25mm, marginally more expensive, is weather sealed, has AF and is significantly lighter.

I need to get off the internet...too many cameras and lenses thrust upon us with this, all the Panasonic gear and all the Fuji stuff stil to come next week.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So the Zeiss 55mm/f1.8 is only just marginally larger than the Nokton 25mm, marginally more expensive, is weather sealed, has AF and is significantly lighter.

I need to get off the internet...too many cameras and lenses thrust upon us with this, all the Panasonic gear and all the Fuji stuff stil to come next week.

I'll say....really need to keep the credit card on lockdown before the temptation becomes too great!

Latest threads

Top Bottom