Show "Boats"

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
Darren
What kind of vessel is the bottom one - CS628? To my eye that is an excellent shot-
Monty
It's currently being used as a fishing vessel, it's a bit unusual as it is a twin hull. I first saw it a few years ago through binoculars when it was further out to sea, I thought it was a military vessel of some sort as there is a military base near by which the Marines use.
Here's another shot of it from a different angle.

13184673253_36273f7ff8_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Sandbanks beach 15-03-14 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
17375403940_c2f0fb375c_b.jpg

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
Here is Flevoborg upbound toward Lake Huron from the St Clair river
and Resko downbound from Lake Huron into the St Clair River-
Both at Point Edward Ontario with Port Huron Michigan across the river
Flevoborg ☼♣² 113.JPG

Resko ☼♦ 379.JPG

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
The best location for me for photographing ships here in Fremantle is the short dredged entrance channel where the ships arrive and depart the port. The issue for me is that with my O 17mm I cannot get a full side of a cargo ship when it is is in the entrance channel except with morning departures. I also do not have a great amount of room to to go wide with my feet.

The channel is approximately 300 metres wide and the deep water point appears to about 150 metres off the shore. I find I can photograph larger ships leaving okay with the 17 mm if I can use the South Mole (light). The image of the OOCL Brisbane gives an idea of this, however arrivals are more difficult with the light as they move into the harbour.

What all this means is I am wondering if a wider lens might be worth a go and if so what the suggestions in terms of width, 12mm? Wider?

15346716637_2176b8d7a0_b.jpg

OOCL Brisbane by Andrew [Aushiker], on Flickr

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:

RKStarr

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick
The channel is approximately 300 metres wide and the deep water point appears to about 150 metres off the shore. I find I can photograph larger ships leaving okay with the 17 mm if I can use the South Mole (light). The image of the OOCL Brisbane gives an idea of this, however arrivals are more difficult with the light as they move into the harbour.

What all this means is I am wondering if a wider lens might be worth a go and if so what the suggestions in terms of width, 12mm? Wider? ....

Thanks
Andrew

I really enjoy your ship photos, both for their composition and for their interest.

Capturing such a large subject while keeping it all in focus and giving it enough background to put it in context is a challenge. Compounding the problem is subject movement which rules out stitching.

Having some experience with wide scenes on the water I might suggest looking at 12mm (m4/3) as an ideal focal length. There isn't much distortion at that FL and it's wide enough to capture most outdoor vistas. The image I posted earlier in this thread of my wife's new boat is at 12mm I believe. I find that even 14mm just feels cramped to me in these settings. I've had the 9-18 and I currently have the 7.5 and they're fun and have their place, but neither appeals to me for the subjects you're talking about the way the 12mm does. I have the large but magnificent 12-40 and in my hands it spends most of its time at 12mm.

As an alternative you might look at the panasonic LX7. (It's the only camera I regret having sold.) The LX7 zoom starts at 24mm eq but, because of Panasonic's multi-aspect sensor, it can be switched to 16:9 with no loss of resolution and yield you an effective 21+mm focal length. They can be had now for less than most primes, it shoots raw, and it's pretty small--ideal for hiking/biking.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Chazzz

Mu-43 Regular
16930089200_48d0d3804d_b.jpg

I've already posted this in the 12-35mm f/2.8 Native Lens Showcase, but this is my favorite boat picture. Of course, this is a reflection, so the original image had the boat upside down. So I rotated it 180° so that the reflection was right-side up, then flipped it horizontally so that it was facing the same way as the real boat. You can almost read the name of the boat ("LORRAINE") at the back.

35mm @ 1/2500 sec, f/2.8 & ISO 200, edited slightly with Aperture.

Last edited:

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Sadlers Well, a bulk carrier, entering Fremantle Port through the entrance channel. Sadlers Well had come from Singapore via Gage Roads N2. She is now berthed at No. 12 NQ

16940771073_ca0c0378f9_b.jpg

Sadlers Well by Andrew [Aushiker], on Flickr

Tech: EM-1 M.17mm F1.8 ƒ/5.6 17.0 mm 1/400 ISO 200

Andrew

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
I really enjoy your ship photos, both for their composition and for their interest.

Capturing such a large subject while keeping it all in focus and giving it enough background to put it in context is a challenge. Compounding the problem is subject movement which rules out stitching.

Having some experience with wide scenes on the water I might suggest looking at 12mm (m4/3) as an ideal focal length. There isn't much distortion at that FL and it's wide enough to capture most outdoor vistas. The image I posted earlier in this thread of my wife's new boat is at 12mm I believe. I find that even 14mm just feels cramped to me in these settings. I've had the 9-18 and I currently have the 7.5 and they're fun and have their place, but neither appeals to me for the subjects you're talking about the way the 12mm does. I have the large but magnificent 12-40 and in my hands it spends most of its time at 12mm.

As an alternative you might look at the panasonic LX7. (It's the only camera I regret having sold.) The LX7 zoom starts at 24mm eq but, because of Panasonic's multi-aspect sensor, it can be switched to 16:9 with no loss of resolution and yield you an effective 21+mm focal length. They can be had now for less than most primes, it shoots raw, and it's pretty small--ideal for hiking/biking.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. I have been considering an O 12-40 PRO or the P 12-35 f/2.8 and your comments are reinforcing my thinking. Thankfully the Olympus at least comes up fairly often now on eBay so I might be able to purchase one at a reasonable price.

Thanks again

Andrew

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
16940166524_48ecb6a708_b.jpg

Lake Poway, CA

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Im still 'pushing the boat out' with my EPM1, if you excuse the pun. These were all taken with the Oly 40-150mm f4-5.6, probably the combination that I have least confidence in, but I'm forcing myself to use it more and more to increase that confidence. Conditions weren't great, the air had a strong haze and most of the time I was shooting across a low sun hence the strong orange cast.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom