Just ordered a GF5k and now I'm worried.....

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Hdale85, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

So I ordered this last night and it'll be here tomorrow now, it was on sale at NewEgg for 339 which is why I ordered it. But upon reading here you guys seem to not like this camera much and recommend the GX1 over it? The GX1 is about 110 bucks more (current amazon price) so now I'm a bit worried. I don't know if I could stretch the extra 110 bucks, but am I going to not like this camera much? Should I return it and try and spring for the GX1?

2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

It might help to know your background, as far as cameras are concerned. Mostly point and shoots? DSLRs?

The GF5 is a smaller camera with simpler controls. It's designed as a step-up from P&S. The GX1 is more of an enthusiast's camera. It's better built and has more features that an experienced photographer would want.

3. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

I've mostly owned P&S's in the past. The last was an FZ5 I think it was, but I've been looking at DSLR's for quite a while and then decided to go 4/3rds as I like the platform better I think. Maybe sticking with the GF5 would be ok for a few months and then upgrade? Give it to the wife or something lol.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Vin

There's probably nothing you can do with the GX1 that you can't do with the GF5 (except mounting a flash, but that would be silly on a small camera anyway).

All current m4/3 bodies are very capable and the differences are not as big as internet forums make them out to be. Use your GF5 to learn the ins and outs of photography. Develop skills and an eye for good images. Learn some post processing. These things will put the quality of your photography above any 'upgrade' you can spend money on.

Also use that money you saved towards a nice quality lens. Oh yeah one more thing... have fun!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

...in the back of my mind I seem to recall the GF5 being praised above all other Lumix bodies for its great Jpeg colours, although now the £1000 GH3 would probably take the biscuit.

6. stripedrex

stripedrex Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Alex
    I've had the GF3 gave to mom in law (loved the pix it took) now have GF1 / GH1. GF1 is same size as GX1 and I regret not having the GF3 just on size and convenience alone. You will not see a huge improvement in picture quality to GX1 (mostly bump in low light performance which you'll see in links below). I would suggest you save that $100 and put it towards a good pime if you don't have one already. In particular get the 20mm due to it's low light performance and size with the GF3/5 bodies for your indoor shots. If you got the kit use the 14-42mm for your outdoor and you should cover %95 of your regular shots you took with your p&s with a lot more quality and character.

Best resources I found to compare cameras.

ISO performance (download the jpg or raws and see shutter speed to achieve exposure to really compare iso performance):
    Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

Compare camera sensors:
    DxOMark - Compare Camera Sensors

Feel free to browse my photostream to see all the shots I took with the GF3 (check exif info). I've uploaded a good amount of pix (mind you post processed with lightroom). It will give you an idea what your GF5 can do. Matter of fact the GF5 has better low light performance than the GF3 I owned. I would love to have the GF5 as my go everywhere camera. Remember the best camera is the one you take with you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ageslani/

GX1 is substantially bigger imo. Here's another site to compare bodies (put gx1 and gf5 you'll see what I mean):

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Hope that helps! Don't do the round robin nonsense I'm doing. Selling my GF1 / GH1 and hopefully getting GF3/5 and GH2. Oh not to confuse you I got the GH1 to replace my video camera. I love shooting vids and wanted manual controls and didn't realize GH1 didn't do 1080 / 30p so going GH2. Don't let that throw you off. GF3/5 makes great videos.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Ehud

If you coma from P&S then you better start shooting in raw and process the shots in Lightroom. The difference in IQ you get while using LR and RAW is tremendous.
    Your money will be better spent if you purchase Adobe Lightroom and study how to use it/.

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

But ... but ... but ... it has a mode DIAL! Physical dial! :tongue:

Side note: no add-on EVF with the GF5, which made it a no-go for me from the start.

9. Whyzor

Whyzor Mu-43 Rookie

I recommend Olympus m4/3 bodies because the latest 16MP sensors are better than Panasonics according to DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Olympus E-PM2 ($500 kit):
    Overall Score: 72
    Color depth: 22.7 bits
    Dynamic range: 12.2 EVs
    Low-Light: 932 ISO

Panasonic Lumix G5:
    Overall Score: 61
    Color depth: 21.4 bits
    Dynamic range: 11.6 EVs
    Low-Light: 618 ISO

Panasonic Lumix GH2:
    Overall Score: 60
    Color depth: 21.2 bits
    Dynamic range: 11.3 EVs
    Low-Light: 655 ISO

Also Olympus m4/3 bodies have image stabilization built-in, which means they work with ALL lenses, including legacy manual lenses.

10. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

I can't really spend 500 at the moment though. Its Christmas time and funds are quite stretched lol.

11. Whyzor

Whyzor Mu-43 Rookie

Understandable, I'm keeping my PM1 ($350 kit on Amazon) for a while until PM2's prices drop more. Just something to keep in mind for future. I only wished LCD resolutions were higher for the newer models and electronic shutters instead of old-school mechanical, which should've gone with the mirrorless design change.

12. stripedrex

stripedrex Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Alex
    Man you guys are confusing the hell of out of this guy =). Coming from P&S honestly who cares about EVFs and dials =p. I find touch screen plenty quick for everyone.

13. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Veteran

I can't really spend 500 at the moment though. Its Christmas time and funds are quite stretched lol.
    You will be thrilled with what you can do with the GF 5. It is the cutest, tinyest camera. You can leverage its power tremendously by getting a 2Omm lens. But if you can't afford that get a $60. Zip tripod. Then you can take superb images in dark conditions. Just bump the touch screen or put on 2 sec. delay. This camera can do many things the Canon5D Mk lll can't do.

14. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Yeah I plan to grab a 20mm lens at the beginning of the year for sure. If I did decide to go for the Olympus later, any of the lenses I use on the GF5 would work on the Olympus right? Since they are both 4/3rds.

15. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Veteran

That's the beauty of the tandem of Panasonic and Olympus micro 4/3rds. Soon you will have a dozen cameras and lenses unless you are careful.

16. flippic

flippic Mu-43 Regular

Don't regret your purchase. I have a GF3 (my first and only m4/3 for now) and I love it. It's very small to carry around. I bought the 20mm and recommend you do the same when you have the $. It's a great lens. Good luck and enjoy your new camera!

17. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Vin
    The PL25 is a superb lens. However it is twice the size of the P20, so if you are going for compact form, I would get the P20. If you don't mind the larger size, PL25 all the way.

Check out the image threads for both lenses, there are some fantastic photographs made with them.

19. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Yeah, I don't mind the size that much really. More then likely would have a camera bag any time I take the camera out, and I don't think the PL25 would be all that bad hanging from my neck when I go places. Maybe I'll get both lol...... maybe I can find them used.

20. limpeh09

limpeh09 Mu-43 Regular

GF5 and save the money on GX1 to buy a good lens. New models keep coming up but a good lens hold its value over time.