Fotodiox FD adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gildonc, Dec 13, 2012.

1. gildonc

gildonc New to Mu-43

Hi all,

I'm new to mu-43 and recently purchased a DMC-G3. I also picked up the Fotodiox M43 to FD adapter to use with some old lenses I had lying around. Some of the lenses are easy to mount to the adapter, but others I really have to finagle around to get them mounted. Does the position of the aperture ring on the lens have anything to do with this? It appears to be easier to mount them when I turn this ring to the largest aperture.

Gildon

2. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I'm finding lens-to-lens differences. Some are really tough, others no problem. Have not noticed aperture ring affecting it, but I'll pay more attention next time.

3. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Edward

I JUST learned this myself playing with my 50mm 1.8... there is a little pin inside of the bayonet mount on some lenses, that if in "A" mode, will not let you put the lens on. By turning the aperture ring from "A", it retracts this pin, allowing you to mount the lens. I believe this is to allow you to use the "Auto" aperture lenses with older cameras that don't support through the lens metering.

4. gildonc

gildonc New to Mu-43

Ah, that explains it then. I remember seeing that little pin the first time I had issues. Thanks for clearing up the mystery! :)

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Veteran

It's not so much a feature to allow you to use the FD lenses on older bodies as it is a safety feature to keep you from getting into trouble (read: meter delivering the wrong exposure) by setting the A position when the lens is attached to a body that doesn't support metering modes where the body sets the f/stop (read: shutter priority and/or program automatic).