OMD or Pen for timelapse: How tough is the shutter mechanism?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kenny, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Your chronos look sick! Sorry, at first I didnt know that u made them. I think we are in the same page. Compact equipments for timelapse photography. Can you hook me up with one of those?
    Advertisement

2. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Chris
    Yeah we have one on every Continent now except Africa. :smile:

The spirit of the system is a DIY (do it yourself) concept. I have published the code, schematics, wiring diagrams, step by step instructions on how to build them online as well as complete parts list.

However sometimes people do not have the tools or desire to build thier own, so we do build them for a price.

I do not know the rules on this forum about this sort of stuff, so if you are interested in learning more you can contact me at ProjectChronosHelp@gmail.com for pricing and such.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Awesome. I'm in USA, so it shouldn't be a problem. I will email you or perhaps pm to get more details. Yeah, we cannot post any affiliate link here.

4. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

M@
    Worrying about your shutter count is usually pretty much ridiculous.

If the OMD is rated at 100,000 that doesn't mean at 100,001 it will break and stop functioning. I've talked to pros with DSLRs that have upward of 400,000 shots on a body when the manufacturer rates it at 150,000.

5. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Chris
    I dont think anyone even remotely suggested that it would break right after 100,000.

I get it, you dont worry about your shutter count, That's cool. I dont assume you do time lapse, which is sort of what this thread is all about. When doing timelapse it is normal for people to worry about such things as a 100k vs 50,000 shutter life camera and the average cost of shutter replacement. It certainly does not make it ridiculous to be concerned about it.

6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

M@
    I get it, you worry about little things that are you not likely to encounter with your equipment. You should worry about things like timelapse and things like 100k vs 50k shutter life and the average cost of replacement. It does not make it look ridiculous to not be concerned about it.

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Right, it can fail much earlier, even below 10,000! :rofl:

I know people who take a LOT of pictures who burn out the shutter in a year.

For this purpose a camera with electronic shutter may be a better choice, especially since M4/3 cameras require twice the actuations for each picture...the shutter is normally open for live view, then it has to close and clear the buffer, then open and close to take the picture, and then open again to restore the live view (that's why I miss the E-330 with its two sensors).

8. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Chris

Are you serious? Did you even bother to read the thread? Have you looked at the title of the thread? or do you normally just go trolling in and causing trouble?

:bravo-009:

This thread was specific about shutter life for timelapse photography.

coming in and being a smartass does not change the origional post, if this was a thread about anything else i would agree, but it is not uncommon to rack up 40-50,000 shutter actuations in a year, I have put over 100,000 shutter counts on my 3 cameras in the course of a year and a half.

9. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Chris
    I guess the question that needs to be asked, is in the routine that a mirrorless camera triggers do they consider that 1 or 2 actuations?

If they rate it for 100,000 i would think that takes into account the entire routine needed in order to take an image. But hey, i could be wrong there.

My only gripe with most cameras with an electronic shutter is they are generally lacking when it comes to optics. (let me clarify, that is a general assumption, and i could be wrong, I am making the assumption that most electronic shutter cameras are just point and shoots)

10. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

Here's my first timelapse video with the OM-D: https://vimeo.com/54120932

Haven't made timelapses since my ex-5d2 and 60d, which was more than a year ago. I have many more nicer timelapse clips around the city and will make more new videos soon...stay tuned :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Chris
    Nice dude!

I have a couple i need to get hosted, i just never got around to it. One thing i enjoy doing with timelapse on the OMD is to shoot RAW and Jpeg, then use the Dramatic Tone filter for the Jpeg. It makes for a very serious looking timelapse. lol

12. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

We should start a thread for time lapse video!

13. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Sam
    if you get a 3 year square trade warranty for the camera, they might replace the shutter for you. Im sure olympus wont if you go overborad with shutters, but squaretrade might since they are technically an insurance company, they operate differently. Might be something to look into if you are going to be invested in your gear for a while

14. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Are they reliable? Do you have any experience with them? It's 200 bucks for 3 years.

15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Sam
    I have heard alot of great things about them. I insured my thinkpad once with them, although ive never had to use it. If they cant fix something in in 5 days, they refund you the full amount that you paid for your electronics. I generally dont buy extended warranties, but yours is a special case. I would give them a call and ask if they have any special policies on shutters. Also, there are coupons for squaretrade that you can find online, espcially right now around the holiday season.

I have a coupon that should take 20% off your warranty, you can have it if you want. Which camera are you insuring? 200 seems a bit much

16. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Chris
    Here are a couple timelapses i did with the OMD, this was literally me unboxing the OMD, putting in a charged aftermarket battery and headed out to try it out.

i had shot in JPEG+Raw, and the JPEG had the Dramatic Tone art filter applied. These are nothing mind blowing or worth "oohs" and "ahhhs". ;)

https://vimeo.com/55492372

and

https://vimeo.com/55492373

17. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

Nice one Chris! To me, it's pretty mind blowing ;) ...since i've never done a timelapse with a dolly before. Some of those clips look like a super long dolly. Was it?

I just finished up a new, longer one today... https://vimeo.com/55915128

18. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Chris
    Those were both done on my Chronos 2.0 rail, it uses an Igus WS-16-60 linear guide and is a total of 1000mm. The actual travel length is only about 36 inches.

There seems to be this assumption that you need a 6 foot rail but I do not agree. I mean, where is the camera really going? You just need enough movement to produce that parallax effect to give it a 3 dimentional depth.

That video looks pretty good, I dont see any flicker or anything like that. You just need some motion. :wink:

If you are any good with a soldering iron and basic tools you can build the same system i have. I put all the code, schematics, wiring diagrams, step by step control box wiring instructions etc on my sourceforge.net project page. If you can make your own end brackets and such total out of pocket expence can be about 400-500 if you find good deals on the parts.

19. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

Thanks... ya, I use an MF pen-f 38mm to avoid flicker ;) ....had many AF lenses in my past 5D2, 60D and also the Oly 45mm on the OMD; and if theres anything I hate, it would def be AF flicker.