Thom Hogan Body Cap Lens Review

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Fmrvette, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

Jim
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Steve
    Oops. I didn't see and started another thread. Sorry.

3. Fmrvette

Jim
    No worries! Well...except that my lens is still "in the mail" from B&H :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

4. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

I ordered mine from Olympus directly, back on September 17.

I just placed an order a couple of days ago with B&H.

It seems Olympus lost my order, then could never find the info about the order, even though I furnished emails to them to prove that an order had been placed. After 10 weeks of this nonsense I asked them to cancel the order as I could get it somewhere else. The politely explained that they would be happy to cancel the order as my credit card info had expired on an order that was never placed.

Never again will order anything directly from Olympus.

B&H claims the lens will be here by next Thursday. I am not holding my breath.....:biggrin:

5. Fmrvette

Jim
    Yep, me too. I cancelled my Olympus order, although the adviser noted that the lenses were "no longer shown on back order" status. B&H was offering free shipping (apparently coming from New York to Michigan via mule train). Their tracking software shows it at the mail facility in Troy, Michigan, delivery expected Tuesday. Must be a slow mail truck, Troy is only 10 miles from my house. :rolleyes:

I've had good service from Olympus direct ordering before; they shipped a camera bag to me and it got here in a few days.

Of course it's no longer a problem as my GAS has been satisfied and I won't be buying anymore camera gear from anyone...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Regards,

Jim

6. RevBob

RevBob   Super Moderator

Bob
    Olympus has finally shipped mine. I wasn't in a big hurry, this is a novelty lens for me. I bought from Olympus because I had a ten dollar birthday credit. If this had been something more important to me - I would be really unhappy. As it is, I look forward to finally playing with it. :cool:

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dara
  8. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Allan
    I like this idea, I tried one yesterday on an OM-D and an EPL-5. It doesn't feel any heavier than a body cap. The 30mm is perfect for going on cycling trips and f/8 is fine for the daytime... when I shot film and was travelling my lenses basically lived at that aperture.

9. Fmrvette

Jim
    Hi Dhazeghi!

I connect the body cap and the rear lens cover of the lens on the camera together and put in whatever bag/pocket I'm carrying. (They interlock nicely). If I swap lenses I use the rear lens cover of the new lens to cover the rear of the old. If I remove all lenses from the camera then I separate the lens cap and the body cover that I have in the bag/pocket, put the lens cap on the lens and the body cover on the camera. QED. :biggrin:

Like you, though, it's rare that I don't have a lens on the camera at all - it's just that using my own peculiar method keeps track of both the rear lens cap and the body cover.

How I'm going to adapt that on Tuesday I haven't figured out yet :confused:. I think the body cap will be regulated to the gear cabinet here at the Swamp and the "lens cover lens" will go into the bag in it's stead. I don't know if the rear lens cap from a "regular" lens will attach to it, but I assume they will.

Regards,

Jim

10. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have a box in my closet that I call my camera crap box, it has body caps, lens caps that I lost and then found the day I buy a new one, and other typical junk, for all I know Jimmy Hoffa is in there's ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

I was tempted, but like you, I almost never store a camera without a lens on it...a camera that's not ready to go is not a lot of use. :smile:

12. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Well, mine arrived yesterday. Finally!!!:eek:

I plan on doing a bit of street shooting today with it.

Looks like it will be a lot of fun.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Steve
    For those that have it, I assume the hyperfocal setting is that little divot almost right next to infinity? It seems to work just fine, but I've been stupid before.

14. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Mine arrived today and I can confirm, not only will a regular lens cap work with this lens, one is included! No lens hood, though. ;)

• Like Like x 2