Just got my first Lumix, the G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsciorio, Nov 19, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Blackout time in viewfinder depends on shooting modes, how many shots you've taken previously and other factors I've not yet discovered. Nice thing is that the pause in the recorded video is consistently the same depending on if you choose video or still priority.Advertisement

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

The difference in photo quality is very close and you can tweak settings in either camera to make that difference even smaller. You can't loose with either and if you put your money is good glass then you'll have a winner not matter what you choose.

3. Heaven's Light

Heaven's Light New to Mu-43

Thanks. I actually went with the G5, it just felt better in my hand and I didn't want to spring the extra cash for the Oly grip. Having said that, I see that a company called JB Camera designs in the US are doing a grip for the EM5 at around $40.00. That's tempting me on the Oly now as I could sell the G5 here in the UK and get a colleague in the US to buy me the EM5 and the grip for the price I'd get for the Pana. IBIS is the only reason I'm thinking of it now though

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

The output of the G5 probably isn't significantly better than the OM-D, I think for the same monies you're getting a much better built camera, with slightly improved performance and amazing IBIS. So yeah, do it!

[​IMG]
    OM-D, w/ O45mm, 1/6, f/2.8, ISO 1600

5. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

I have the G3 and thought about getting the G5. However, my awful experience with Panasonic Customer (No)Service and the fact that the OMD is weather sealed mean that I'll be getting the OMD this week or next. Panasonic refused to honor the warranty on my G3 because they said id gotten it wet - issue was that it was never in the rain or wet but they said that I shouldn't have used it in high humidity.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

That is unbelievable ... extraordinary. Does the warranty specifically state not to use it in high humidity? Was the damage to the camera caused by water. After giving it more thought and not being privileged to the facts, I can see both sides of the story.

But, (the big but), personally, if I was using the camera under what I determined to be 'normal conditions', I'd start writing letters to Panasonic's PR department, their VP's and P's, the BBB, et cetera. If I was really, really upset, I'd take them to small claims, get a second opinion from a third party camera repair on water/humidity damage and then start a blog (even post a video of some foul action happening to their warranty card and camera).

These actions, would cost them more in actual expenses and revenue generation than what you paid for the camera ... knowing that may provide some satisfaction.

Gary

7. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Veteran

I like see examples of pics and videos of the G5. :)

8. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Alan
    I am really pleased with Panasonic service, My GX1 was used in high humidity, in fact I was caught out on a mountain summit and had to pack it in a damp back pack.
    The rear Lcd screen misted up see pic and they replaced it no prob

[​IMG]

9. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

I had a chance to go to Unique's photo show and try all the cameras on my list...OM-D, GH3, G5, X-E1 and NEX-6. I took a memory card and shot each camera at ISO 3200 to test the image quality.

The only issue I discovered upon return is that some of the cameras had been set to a more compressed jpeg (I don't know if that will totally affect the overall image quality to a big extent) but my finding (un-scientific) were that the GH3 had EXCELLENT images, and the OM-D handled like a charm.

In the end, there are trade-offs to every system, and while all cameras would be a welcome addition as a "home camera", using them in a professional situation would make me think twice about some of them. Unfortunately, I had limited time to 'play' but I would certainly like to return and give a couple of them another test before deciding where to put my money.

As good as the image quality is reported to be, I personally did not care for the NEX. The Fuji was a nice solid camera, on par with the OM-D, but had limited lens selection. In the end, I would be between the OM-D and the GH3. Again, not an official review of any sort, and un-scientific. Just my observations from a couple of hours in the store. I will add, however, that the reps from Olympus and Panasonic were TERRIFIC!

• Like Like x 2