Micro four /third is a dslr or not?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by photogirl101, Oct 20, 2012.

1. photogirl101

photogirl101 Mu-43 Rookie

GRETCHEN
    Why are my friends telling me that the micro four/thirds (that I have) are not a dslr 35mm like a Nikon or Canon. It has the same function or not? They tell me it cannot domthe same thing as the big ones??? I don't get them
    Advertisement

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, technically your friends are correct, it's not a DSLR. DSLR stands for "Digital Single Lens Reflex." Reflex means the camera has a mirror that reflects the light coming through the lens into a different path for viewing. Mirrorless cameras like m43 don't have mirrors, so by definition aren't SLRs.

That has nothing to do with capabilities, however. The answer to that question is more complex, and depends on which m43 camera you're referring to, as well. There are certainly some things that some DSLRs do better. But for typical amateur use, I think you'll find that any m43 camera will do just fine.

My advice: ignore those friends, and anyone else who thinks the camera you use is more important than the vision you bring to the use of the camera.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Promit Roy
    There is exactly one thing a real DSLR can do which an m4/3 or other mirrorless camera cannot: continuous/tracking autofocus. Image quality on an EM5 is better than all of the APS-C Canons. The lenses are better too, frankly. Single (one shot) autofocus is faster and more accurate. The people with Canikon DSLRs for the most part need to justify their purchases and simply don't know any better.

• Like Like x 2
  4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

Tell them you have a DSLM. It's a newer acronym than DSLR so it must be better. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 8
  5. photogirl101

photogirl101 Mu-43 Rookie

GRETCHEN
    Thank you all for the explanation. @Strang I think this is a good one LOL. I find that the m4/3 take nice photos.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Your friends think that the "big ones" are "dslr 35mm like a Nikon or Canon" and you trust them?

First, the big ones aren't the Nikon or Canon dslrs, they're the medium and large format cameras which are much bigger and do some things much better than the dslrs. Still, the dslrs do some things better than the big ones. Try doing sports photography with one of the big ones and you'll quickly downsize to a dslr. Try doing landscape photography and provided you don't have to carry the big view camera and tripod on your back to the top of a mountain, you will choose the view camera over the dslr when it comes to image quality.

Second, Nikon and Canon don't make any "35mm dslrs". No one does. 35mm is a film size and dslrs don't use film. What Nikon and Canon, and a few other manufacturers, make are slrs with a sensor the same size as a 35mm negative. They're called "full frame", not 35mm, because full frame refers to the image capture size and 35m refers to a film stock size.

So, if your friends don't know what the "big ones" are, or that there's no such thing as a "35mm dslr", why would you trust them to know about anything else?

There are a few reviews around including this one:

Full review: The Olympus OM-D E-M5

which compare the Olympus OM-D E-M5 favourably to Nikon D700 and D800 full frame dslrs. Ming Thein, the author of this review, comments at one point in this review "Frankly, in good light, with a contrasty subject, it gives my D800E a run for its money." He has professional experience with Nikon and Leica full frame digital cameras and also uses an E-M5 for professional work. That's a pretty good recommendation for a micro four thirds camera. There are a few professional photographers on this forum also using micro four thirds cameras professionally.

Yes, there are some things that a micro four thirds camera won't do as well as a full frame digital camera, the two main ones being providing very shallow depth of field and providing good continuous auto-focus for action shooting. You can get quite shallow depth of field with micro four thirds with the right lenses and you can do action shooting with it also, but you have to work harder to get good results and you won't get as high a proportion of good results. For pretty much anything else you will have no problems with micro four thirds and you can turn out extremely high quality results.

So read a few reviews, take a look at the photo threads here and the photos in the reviews, see what people say about the cameras in the camera discussion threads here and make up your own mind, but don't forget that your friends don't know what they're talking about if they think Nikon and Canon are the "big ones" and that they make "35mm dslrs". Both of those statements are inaccurate information.

7. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Geoff
    Really? That's the sort of comment I hear from Canikon users about micro 4/3rds cameras. I use my DSLR's for moto sport photography where continuous fast multi shot AF is required and my micro 4/3rds cameras for travel photography where the light weight is important.

So... how then do you 'pigeon hole' those of use who have both formats? (keeping in mind of course that we "simply don't know any better").

• Like Like x 14
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

I thought because we don't use a mirror were just not as vain as the DSLR crowd.

• Like Like x 14
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

Or you can read into this the opposite way as mirrorless owners have a chip on our shoulders and we need to justify ourselves over DSLR owners :wink:

• Like Like x 6
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

John
    There is some truth in this. However, there's a long history of bias against Olympus and Olympus users on Internet forums by some (not all by any means) Canon and Nikon users that pre-dates :43:. Understandably, some Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds users feel the urge to bite back from time to time, even though it may not be helpful or productive.

On one general forum I used to frequent I got so fed up with the constant jibes and false information about Olympus cameras that I challenged a few of the Full Frame protagonists to a shoot out - I would bring an E-5 with a selection of SHG lenses and they could use whatever kit they wanted. After a few sheepish excuses about not having time the thread went very quiet and suddenly I was all alone in the playground. :biggrin:

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haahah :rofl::rofl: So Sunday is the day when you are more relaxed and eventually have enough energy to argue and oppose anything on this forum:wink::wink:. I would avoid ur threads or posts on Sundays :biggrin:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

Call me living in a closed in environment, but in the Nikon forum that I belong to, I don't see any of this bias. In fact, in this same Nikon forum, there is a thriving sub-forum for Non-Nikon cameras that has a large community of Micro Four Thirds owners...a few of which are also members of this site....:smile:

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

Nope.
    I've just been professionally trained to see all sides of a situation ....:smile:

• Like Like x 2
  14. goldenlight

John
    I've never had cause to visit either a Nikon or Canon specific forum, but I don't doubt what you say. I'm referring to general, non brand specific forums like the one where they talk a lot about photography.

There has always been friendly banter, of course, since long before the Internet existed. Even 20 plus years ago you can imagine the friendly barracking I received when I arrived, as an Olympus OM user, to give a talk at the local Club Canon Group. But they were all nice people and nothing was said with any ill intent. Some did express surprise at the quality I was getting with Olympus gear! :biggrin:

I also received a rather nice leter of thanks from the club secretary:-

[​IMG]

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

all cameras have their good points and their bad points.

buying a camera is easy... being a good photographer is in most situations has nothing to do with the camera

make images you want first then work out which camera suits you best

cameras dont take photos... photographers do

K

• Like Like x 4
  16. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Don't bother getting into arguments about it, let your images do the talking.

• Like Like x 4
  17. goldenlight

John
    That's all that is important. :smile:

18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The bias towards any particular type or brand of camera is just a waste of time.

Some are delusional that the camera actually matters leading themselves to believe that photography can be improved simply by improving their chosen camera/lens. Why? Because its a whole lot easier to open the wallet.

A live club that is focused on a particular brand... I'm sorry that's dumb.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

I was in one of my local social hangouts with my insignificant M43 gear one late afternoon, and a so called expert with his large backpack containing 2 x full frame nikons present. Everyone considers this guy and expert by the size and expense of his gear.

He was snapping photos of anything and everybody and essentially showing off. He admitted that he used his cameras on auto mode in the daytime because he could not get consistent results otherwise.

I wanted to snap a photo of a sign in relative darkness and he was quick to offer advice of using a flash and questioning whether my toy camera had any manual settings to compensate. I took one photo with my EPM1 and 45mm wide open, nil flash and showed him the picture on the LCD. End of discussion. He was gone 4 minutes later.

As others have stated, it is not the gear, it is the operator.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Technically, m43 can do continuous AF.

It's just a matter if the subject is in the right place or not =)