Showcase Olympus 15mm f/8 Bodycap Lens

Zariell

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Self Portrait

Haven't had too much time to play with the lens yet, but I did manage to capture a self portrait :p

i5kf6mXBARN3w.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The cap on a GX1
1_P1010713_characters_800.jpg

P1010735_800.jpg

It looks like one shot blends into the other, and it works pretty well.

stingx

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Hugh Douche
Indoor, early AM with natural light.

8254054813_0eef23d9b6_b.jpg

stingx

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Hugh Douche
8254047639_6b9bac8596_b.jpg

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
Indoor, early AM with natural light.

8254054813_0eef23d9b6_b.jpg

Stingx -

Nice shot, but I had to take the SPAM filter off of my computer to see it...

:biggrin:

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is probably a daylight lens instead of a night time lens with it being f/8... But i really like how small it is.... might just have to get it.. to add to my cheap lens collection..

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I saw this review of the15 on 43 rumors. I really liked his images and then he concludes the lens is crap.:smile:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I just got one from B&H a couple of days ago (after waiting for a couple of months for Amazon not to get one). Took it out today for the first time for a short shakedown walk. As a cyclist, I equate it to stashing your hi-tech multi speed bike in the garage and taking a ride on your single speed / fixed gear bike. Its still a bike ride, but its not even remotely the same. Frees your mind to get back to the elements. The "performance" isn't the greatest possible, but the simplicity is its own form of performance...

No doubt not the sharpest lens in the cabinet, but a lot of fun. And for the kind of shooting I do, I think it'll be a GREAT street lens. It almost needs its own body though - its too light for the OMD, which sort of flips back on a strap for lack of a counterweight to the EVF. I may have to pick up a cheap used EPM1 or something and just leave this on it. It'll strictly be a good light street setup, but sticking this on its hyperfocal setting and just playing with the exposure compensation dial as you move in and out of the sun is a fun way to shoot. Here are a couple from today. I think I'll get a fair amount of use out of this lens - it works for what I do...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/8270622122/" title="Bodycap Lens-20-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 246032 "1024" height="1024" alt="Bodycap Lens-20-Edit"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/8269512537/" title="Bodycap Lens-17-Edit-2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 246033 "1024" height="1024" alt="Bodycap Lens-17-Edit-2"></a>

-Ray

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Quick question: Is the hyperfocal setting the little stop right next to infinity? I think I'm feeling a little divot there.

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
Quick question: Is the hyperfocal setting the little stop right next to infinity? I think I'm feeling a little divot there.

I believe so. The instruction "manual" is leaving much to be desired, but it does say there are 4 positions for the focus lever-thingy: closed, infinity, distant, and close.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, it's the little click. There's theoretically another click at infinity, but I can barely feel that. But the hyper focal click is pretty clear.

-Ray

Spot on. I took a couple of quick snaps this afternoon in between chores, had the lens set on infinity, and the results were horrible. I was shooting at a distance of 8 feet. I retook the shots with the lens set on hyper focal and they were "magically" better :biggrin:.

(I forgot to set the IBIS for a 16mm lens; dummy, dummy, dummy that I am).

Also got nice shots of my blurry left forefinger as I tried to cradle the camera on a couple of shots. Need to adjust my grip for certain.

Shots taken at 50 feet set on infinity seem to be O.K. but it will take a little experimentation for me to get this lens down. Not sure at this point when the hyper focal won't do and I need to adjust to infinity...

Still, for $50 U.S. and free shipping it ain't bad, ain't bad at all.

I need to put it on my EPL-1, take the VF-2 off, and see how it handles. I'm not certain at this point what the lens is good for (since I don't do street photography) but I figure I'll come up with something. For $50 I just couldn't say no.

Regards,

Jim

vtsteevo

Mu-43 Regular
Why not just use a basic point and shoot instead of something like this? Serious question.. not trying to start a flamewar.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
Why not just use a basic point and shoot instead of something like this? Serious question.. not trying to start a flamewar.

I think size is the main benefit of this lens. On something like an E-PM1/2, you're looking at an iPhone size setup perfect for discreet shooting. I could also see using this for flash shooting where you could just pop it out and shoot with no need to focus and get sharp shots.

Latest threads

Top Bottom