Micro 4/3s Revisited Article by Thom Hogan

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by john1027, Jun 2, 2010.

1. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Writer & photographer Thom Hogan has a little article on his web site entitled, Micro 4/3 (Briefly) Revisited that is worth a quick read. It is about 1/2 way down the page.
    Advertisement

Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

• Like Like x 6
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks - I usually visit his site every week or so and had not yet seen this post. Interesting and thoughtful points.

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

a nice read ..........thanks

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I can identify with his impressions. Getting the G1, and later the GH1 inspired me to pick up a few inexpensive film cameras (Canon FTb(n) and F-1) and get to the purity of manual film cameras. I'm having a LOT of fun on this photographic journey, and it's all been inspired because of these cameras. Having the ability to adapt so many different types of lenses is why I bought into this standard in the first place, and it's been very much worth it.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Interesting article. Since I missed the whole DSLR phase and just went from film SLRs to a P&S hiatus when the kids demanded my time and arms to now M43, it didn't occur to me that this was a step back closer to the way things used to be, having not quite taken all of the steps to how things are today at the top of the DSLR range. To me, it just seems like a big step forward and has forced me to remember a lot of stuff I'd forgotten about photography. I like thinking through the exposure options and what I'm going for when I'm shooting. It didn't occur to me that you'd have to do less of that with a high end DSLR?

But 99% of this stuff is about allowing yourself to see what's there in creative and interesting ways. The craft you can learn and get consistently good at with whatever set of tools you have. The art is like being in the zone when you're playing basketball or jazz - sometimes you're in it and sometimes you can't even see it from here. That's what photography has always been about and always will be about. And, of course, its the place where I constantly fail to live up to my hopes and dreams. Which is cool and the way it should be - its what keeps me trying.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  6. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

I agree. GF1 is my first "serious" camera, so I don't know what I am missing out with other DSLRs. At the same time, I am having fun and am quite happy with m4/3 (at least until I can afford a Leica M9 haha :eek:).

7. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I can't find the article. In which column and under which heading is it located? Does it have a link?

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

John, thanks for this.
    I like his writing because he keeps things uncluttered and simple.
    I did have the Canon 5D and Nikon D300.
    Now it's the Pen 1&2 and there's no looking back.
    I don't miss anything at all from either beast.

9. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

10. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

I went back and read his initial review of the E-P1. I'm not sure he understood, then. It seemed to me that he was unhappy that it wasn't a small Nikon D700 for $800. Not that his views aren't valid, but he seemed to be more upset with what the camera wasn't than pleased with what it was.

I have to say, I got it, instantly. set it to center weighted, single point, "M", "S", or "A", and go shoot. Next. Neck strap? Never took it out of the plastic, didn't even think to look at it. Made of plastic? Don't drop it. No viewfinder? Celebrate the advantages of Live View (camera not tied to your face) instead of moaning about what you don't have.

I'm glad to see he finally gets it. But I would have expected it to not take so long. FWIW, I haven't turned on my Canon 7D since I got this thing, except to take a picture of the E-P1.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Let me tell ya something. The build discussion is all bunk.
    They compare the Pen to a DSLR and say it doesn't have the build quality.
    I am a professional 1 time dropper.
    The Canon 5D is a 1 drop per camera model.

Trust me on this. So build quality is a nonsense discussion.
    In all honesty I prefer the Pen IQ to the 5D.
    It's kinda organic. The 5D while great has a certain digitized look to it's files.

Aside from these 2 simple elements and about 15 lbs in weight,
    it's all about what you fall in love with.
    He's obviously not in love with the Pen. But he will be....
    It just takes time.
    When I speak of the Pen... I actually mean the entire range of m4/3 cameras.

12. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I think these two are related. I dropped my E-P2 the other day - luckily with just the 20mm/1.7 rather than an adapted FD or AIS lens - and managed to catch it with my foot, then my hand. It never hit the floor. Even if it had, though, I had broken the fall and it's light enough not to have hit too hard.

If it were a 7D (my original plan before switching to ยต43), there's no way I could have possibly caught it. Even if I had broken its fall with my foot, it's heavy enough that it would probably have been damaged when it hit.

13. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

You know, I read that and I thought, "Wow. You dropped it, and you can still use it; that's pretty good."

Like I said; it was all about the thing it isn't, and nothing about the thing it is. Still, it's nice to see he finally understands why it is such a nice tool.

A word about the buttons, dials and menus: he's coming from Nikons. He's used to stuff being in certain places. I'm coming from Canons. I'm used to stuff being in certain places. But adjustments are no more or less tucked away on either of those than they are on the PENs. Buttons do double duty on my 7D; you have to learn which does what. The 7D's new autofocus system? Two buttons, minimum, and sometimes a trip to the menus.

And still, in the end, no matter how much he tries to say he hates it, that it isn't like his big Nikon... he likes it.

14. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

I've dropped the E-P1/2/L1 and used the classic 'catch it with your foot' to break the fall each time. The E-PL1 had the ZD 50mm f2... luckily with the lens hood fitted which helped to cushion the fall.

I think the build quality is pretty damned good on all of them. Jono Slack even submerged his E-P1 for minutes in a deep stream and almost got away with it, so the splashproof seals work too!

The only criticism I have is for the paint job used on the black E-P2... a bit fragile for my liking, prefer the silver E-P1.

Cheers

Brian

15. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  16. Djarum

Djarum   Super Moderator Charter Member

Jason
    I think one of the issues with build quality, at least I see pop up all the time, is the build quality of the lenses. I think people are wanting an all metal design. But this would make them heavy, and plastics have come a long way from where they used to be.

My OLY kit lens dropped from a 5 foot high counter onto a carpeted floor. The carpet was really thin. The lens seemed fine to me.

I do understand why some want weather sealing, but again, I'd imagine this would add to the weight of the lens.

As far as the Pen 1 goes, I think the build quality is great. I haven't dropped it yet, but it still seems fairly sturdy.

17. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great perspective! Thank you!

18. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I shoot professionally (weddings) and for that I use the fuji S5pro. I prefer it in terms of IQ to the GF1, it's more film-like, which pleases me a lot. It also works better at higher ISOs which is important for me.

What I hate about it is the weight of the kit that I end up carrying around, the GF1 is fantastic that it's such a small package and from which I can produce excellent images. My S5pros are used exclusively for professional work now, for everything else (bar macro) I use the GF1, it just fits much better into how I like to photograph - I feel free and can be spontaneous with the GF1.

19. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

prix photographe mariage

I really agree thatGH1 inspired me to pick up a few inexpensive film cameras (Canon FTb(n) and F-1) and get to the purity of manual film cameras and have the ability to adapt so many different types of lenses,too good features.