Updated: First Images of the Olympus 15mm f/8 Lens?

Discussion in 'Front Page News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator

A new source identified as nanoloop sent us this image, reportedly showing the rear aspect of the not-yet-announced Olympus 15mm f/8 lens:

[​IMG]

The photo looks legit, showing a Micro 4/3 mount, tiny optics (as would be expected for a lens this slow), no electrical contacts (meaning no AF), and no iris blades (meaning fixed aperture).

UPDATE: nanoloop sent a second image of the lens:

[​IMG]
    Advertisement

Looks more like a body cap than a lens!

43 Rumors published specs for the Oly 15mm f/8 a couple weeks ago (link):

It's less than half the length and weight of the diminuitive Pana 14. If it's also less than half the price, I expect that it will be well received. 15mm and f/8 with three focus settings is going to introduce a lot of folks to the joys of zone focusing, where one can focus on composition and timing. I think we'll see a lot of it in our Real Street Thread :2thumbs:.

Other sources have indicated that this tiny and super thin lens will be bundled with the E-PM2 and/or E-PL5. Moreover, we've gotten additional confirmation that as we reported a couple weeks ago, those Pens will use the E-M5 sensor. I can now upgrade that rumor to a solid grade A-.

Addendum: I initially referred to this as an mZD lens but was corrected by nanoloop, who said that this is not an mZD. Unless I'm mistaken, that would make it the first non-mZD lens from Olympus for Micro 4/3. The beginning of a series of some sort?

[Thanks nanoloop]

• Like Like x 8
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Tom
    Really looking forward to seeing how this lens performs and what it will cost. With the 14mm Panny being about $150, 21mm thick, and f/2.5 I think it'll have to be pretty good to garner much interest. I also think that's a good possibility.

3. Amin Sabet

The Pana 14 still has a street price of ~$300 from authorized dealers (lowest I see is $260 at Amazon). Those very low Ebay prices are thought to represent lenses parted out as surplus from kits.

I expect the Oly to be bundled with the small Pens, to retail for much less than the Pana 14, and to be had on Ebay for very little. It will be more of a fun lens rather than a top performer.

4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sidinei
    I'll get one of these if it goes to ebay for 70-80 bucks. If it was a 18mm I would pay more. I'm glad to see how broad the offer of m4/3 lenses is.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Promit Roy
    I'd just like to point out that with this lens, you will get no lens EXIF. Somewhat more problematic, the EM5 won't stabilize it in video mode. Thanks Olympus :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

rob collins
    Well its cheap. And I quite want to buy an epm2 (or whatever it will be called) to give to the gf so she stops nicking my OM-D. I dont want to pay for another rubbish 14-42 or dull 17 2.8, so getting it with the new lens is practically like buying a body only camera.

7. Amin Sabet

From what I've learned so far, I like it. Something different. I'd love to have a zone focusing switch on my Pana 14/2.5.

8. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

Could this be a sign that all of the other Olympus lens rumors will remain as rumors? I would hate for that.

9. Amin Sabet

There's a good chance we won't see anything other than this lens and the 60mm macro.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

10. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

And the three settings of this lens will be:

Near,
    Far,
    Wherever you are.

You're welcome, Celine Dion. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 14
  11. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'll snap this up in a heartbeat if it's under $100. Looks like a fun lens to play with.

12. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Q
    this could be awesome for street

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Chris
    With that update, i can only think of, EPM1 + O15 and there you go, probably the best street shooter on the market.... we just need to see how it performs, but on paper looks like THE street shooter tool! :2thumbs:

14. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Howard
    Sorry but I just don't see the point of this lens.
    The 14mm f2.5 is going to be better optically, has AF, is much faster when you need it in poor light etc etc
    By setting the 14mm to F8 and focusing on a subject 6ft away (then switch to MF) and it will focus from 2.8ft to infinity.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Nic
    Is f/8 really relevant for street photography with a smaller sensor? In close quarters a DOF of a couple of metres is usually plenty, which is achievable at f/4 or even f/2.8 with this focal length.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Amin Sabet

Having gotten used to snap focus on a Ricoh GRD, which at f/1.8 has almost exactly the same DOF as this lens at f/8, I think it makes a lot of sense. A couple of meters isn't enough for me to completely forget about focus and deal only with timing and composition. f/8 will definitely do the trick. Of course, you lose a ton of light, which will push the ISO values up.

By sticking an f/8 lens with manual zone focus on an E-PM2, you'll effectively have a Ricoh GRD, which a lot of people find to be a terrific street shooter.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 All-Pro

Luke
    I think it's fresh. If it's around $50, I'll buy 1. Growing up the cameras my family owned never needed focusing.

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Tom
    The OM-D sensor (if it indeed finds its way into the EPM-2 etc) really breathes life into these "slow" lenses Olympus has been producing the past few years (e.g., 75-200; 12-50mm, 15mm). This may have been part of Olympus' strategy all along.

19. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Im in!!!!

This sounds great, at the EOTD its a different lens that makes the :43: camera even more pocketable, i can picture this just like everyone is saying as a street lens, some long exposure shots to capture some quality images, and again, its going to make carrying a camera around that much better.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Nic
    I would be concerned about the small aperture. I usually find the shutter speed to be the critical value, with 1/250 to 1/500 being my safe values. In the middle of the day with the 7-14mm I was getting values of f/4 and ISO 1600 using shutter priority.