[B&H] Olympus E-PL1 - max shutter speed with flash.

Discussion in 'Ask B&H Photo' started by vaibhavk9885, Aug 1, 2012.

1. vaibhavk9885

vaibhavk9885 New to Mu-43

I recently bought an Oly E-Pl1.
    As with many, this is my first upgrade from Point & Shoot.
    My question is, is there any limitation of increasing max shutter speed with the flash?
    Currently I can only get maximum shutter speed as 1/160th of a sec. with flash opened up?
    Please help!
    Advertisement

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

That is the upper limit on flash-shutter sync for the E-PL1, no way around it as far as I know. Here's a great video explaining why:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hvZ6VujbhjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 4
  3. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

I'll say this much, I have used radio triggers (don't go cheap, trust me spend at least $40 on a trigger) with studio flashes, that have achieved 1/250th of a second sync with about 1 in 10 showing a little bit of shutter curtain.

Of course once you understand how those external flashes work, you can still freeze motion in certain circumstances, even at 1/160th, but that gets easier in that respect if you are using a more powerful flash, not the built-in one. And the special external flashes that can sync at high speed, do so at the cost of the maximum power available to the flash.