E-M5 - Panasonic 14-45 and Firmware 1.2

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
Have anyone noticed the 14-45 OIS is working?
You can have both at work, OIS and IS. With half press and both on, the image in the VF is going in unexpected directions... due to the double compensation. :smile:

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Have anyone noticed the 14-45 OIS is working?
You can have both at work, OIS and IS. With half press and both on, the image in the VF is going in unexpected directions... due to the double compensation. :smile:

Yes. the Olympus bodies do not recognize when OIS is on. As a result, they let you enable both forms of IS on those lenses that have OIS switches, and on lenses without, you can't enable OIS at all.

DH

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
If I remember well, with FW 1.1 the OIS of the 14-45 was off in any case, no difference if switched on or off.
Perhaps they are at work on this... chapter

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
Sorry for reviving this old post but no other thread came up when I did my search of topics.

I have been looking at the Panasonic 14-45mm lens. I used the DPReview test report http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicGF1/19 to do some comparisons.
Using that report I clicked on the "Compare" on the upper right hand side and one at a time brought in the Oly 17, Oly 25, Oly 12-42 and the Panasonic 20 to compare at various focal lengths and f stops. In all of the comparisons it appears that the Panasonic 14-45 is equal to or sharper and unlike the Oly 12-42 in the longer focal lengths it is reasonably sharp across the entire lens.

Has anybody had experience with this lens beyond what was posted years ago in this thread?

Vivalo

Olympus loser
I don't have any experience with that lens, but I've heard that it is the best "14 to something mm" there is in terms of image sharpness. BTW, I think you meant to compare that to Olympus 14-42mm, not 12-42mm which doesn't exist.

dissembled

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
A. Alabanza
I wonder how the 14-45 compares with the P 14-42 II. I'm planning to add a capable kit lens to my arsenal.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I wonder how the 14-45 compares with the P 14-42 II. I'm planning to add a capable kit lens to my arsenal.
Using that link I provided above, DPReview does have a Panasonic 14-42 that you can compare the 14-45 to but I do not know if it is the II version.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
I've had it for a long time now. It was my first native lens when I switched from 4/3 4 1/2 years ago. I've always been happy with the images I've gotten.

I really like the 30-45mm range in general so the slow aperture has always been a bit frustrating. I use a 45/1.8 now. At the wide end it's better than the 17/2.8 and it goes to 14mm without giving up too much speed.

Here's a few images I've posted in the past.

full.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

full.jpg

full.jpg

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I no longer give much credence to lens comparisons as the exact copy of each lens has a bigger effect on results than the make and model of the lens.
For example : I have a really sharp 14-45 which was equally in a shop test of the (at the time) new Lumix 14-42MkII on a G3. I was most impressed because my 14-45 beats my collapsible m.Zuiko 14-42 of both types.
Last month I had the chance to try a G7 with the 14-42MkII lens in-shop : that lens made photos mouch much softer than the earlier copy.
"What's going on?" I asked myself.
I have a disturbing feeling the first batches of 14-42MkII were better than current ones, or simply there is huge copy variation.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I really like the 30-45mm range in general so the slow aperture has always been a bit frustrating. I use a 45/1.8 now. At the wide end it's better than the 17/2.8 and it goes to 14mm without giving up too much speed.

Thanks for the post and the sample images. I had thought about that “slow lens” issue. I am considering this lens as a general purpose walk around lens to be used mainly out of doors. We live in the land of 100+ SPF sun tan lotion and have way too much sun and color wash out to deal with which, unless it’s early morning or late evening means we are using the mid to very small F stop ranges and underexposing by -7 and or we use a polarizer or 4ND filter on the lens. Besides the relatively small size of the lens, and the fact that it is made in Japan, another feature that draws me to this lens is the filter size. I ALWAYS use some type of filter on my lenses and the 52mm filter size means I can use my most popular filter size without resorting to another adapter.

metalmania

Mu-43 Veteran
some pictures from this lens long time ago

cwPMorX.jpg

zrvZ2VT.jpg

PgI3zld.jpg

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
Well, since nobody jumped up and said they were dissatisfied with their P 14-45 or had turned theirs into a cookie cutter or ash tray I popped for a used one at a good price ($135 shipped). Besides what I saw here, the benefits I previously mentioned such as physical size and sharpness, as well as the lack of negative comments, what finally sold me was the fact that it has internal zoom which I really prefer.

Has anybody noticed if Lightroom has the lens corrections for this lens?

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
Lightroom will automatically correct distortion without any option to turn it off. CA correction is possible but not automatic.

Fred

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I didn't remember to mention in my last post (I was working) it's not internal zoom.
You are absolutely correct. When I was looking at the DPReview spec page I read internal on the focusing. OH well!! It should be a nice addition.
Thanks for the input.

Latest threads

Top Bottom