Micro 4/3, Sony NEX, and Canon EOS-M - Small Camera Size Comparison

Discussion in 'Front Page News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator

I did a quick size comparison between some of the smallest cameras from Micro 4/3 (2X crop), Sony NEX (1.5X crop), and the new Canon EOS-M (1.6X crop) using the excellent services of CameraSize.com:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Advertisement

Most of the lenses can be easily identified from the images. The fourth group down shows the GF5 with the diminutive Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, while the fifth group down substitutes the slightly chunkier Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.

• Like Like x 20
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's an interesting comparison. It's curious that NEX chose to increase the size on the F3 (my C3 is a good deal smaller), also that Zeiss 24/1.8 is pretty big (but nice). In case anyone is interested the equivalent focal lengths you're looking at are...

ROW 1
    body only

ROW 2/3
    EOS-M - 29-88/3.5-5.6
    E-PM1 - 28-84/3.5-5.6
    GF5 - 28-84/3.5-5.6
    NEX F3 - 27-82.5/3.5-5.6

ROW 4
    EOS-M - 33/2
    E-PM1 - 34/2.8
    GF5 - 28/2.5
    NEX F3 - 24/2.8

ROW 5
    EOS-M - 33/2
    E-PM1 - 34/2.8
    GF5 - 40/1.7
    NEX F3 - 36/1.8

3. blb

blb Guest

Though the NEX system is often knocked for its size, and for the supposed mismatching of lens to body-size, this comparison seems to show that, at least in several of the possible combinations, there just really isn't much difference.

4. Amin Sabet

Absolutely right. See also: Mirrorless Camera Size Comparison: NEX5, NX10, E-P2, E-PL1, GF1, G2

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ... Subscribing Member

Richard Elliott
    Canon has done a nice job of shrinking the camera down and has posed a challenge to m43. However the proof, as they say, is in the pudding (or at least the images of the pudding). I suspect the color and sharpness to be excellent in the middle, but the edges are going to be a challenge.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To make the comparison really accurate, you'd need to stick the accessory flash on top of the camera.

But for me, the issue with the Canon isn't size. It's how limited this particular camera / system is, today. No EVF option, no built-in flash, and only 2 lenses. Yes, I know all about the adapter. $200, on top of an already pretty pricey camera for what promises to be pretty poor af performance doesn't impress me. I can get slow AF with legacy lenses a lot cheaper on m43. :)

Yes, maybe this is only the opening salvo, and this time next year maybe there will be a body to compete with the GX-1 / Pen E-P5 or OM-D / GH3 and 4 more good lenses. Maybe. But today the -M is all we have, and it seems to fall short in a price / features comparison.

Did I mention price? $800 with the pancake + $150 for a flash puts it in the same price range as an OM-D, and more expensive than every other m43 camera. That's close to twice the price of m43 cameras with similar features. If you assume people will buy this because they have other Canon lenses, add $200. $1150 is some serious cash.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OTOH, there are these:

Compact Camera Meter

[​IMG]

Yes, there are some compact lenses for NEX, but there are also some that are mind-bogglingly big, for their focal length, when compared to the body, especially the C3 body. That 50mm, for example, looks to be bigger than the 50 f/1.8 for the FF EOS. Sony's reputation for large lenses relative to body size isn't unearned.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Now, this is a much better comparison than the flickr image, heh.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Why?

10. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm guessing the 3:2 ratio within the image circle?

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Nic
    There are two Micro 4/3 cameras which allow a native 3:2 ratio. The APS-C sensor is simply a larger sensor that requires a larger image circle.

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ... Subscribing Member

Richard Elliott
    The short flange. I believe this is an area that affects Nex as well.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Keith
    Thanks for posting this, Amin. What I take from this is that we :43: users cannot and should not smugly dismiss the Canon and Sony (and to a lesser degree the Nikon and Samsung) entries into "our" little mirrorless camp as misguided.

The sizes of the cameras are similar. The raw IQ of the Sony and Canon models is (or is likely to be) similar (or better) than that of even the best :43:. Where :43: maintains a striking advantage over the others is in the breadth of selection and quality of native lenses.

Personally I'm excited to see more competition entering this space as it should drive all the manufacturers to maintain (or even increase) the pace of innovation. Of course the potential downside is that perhaps Olympus or Panasonic will not be able to keep up with the larger players, but I don't see that happening, at least in the short term.

• Like Like x 2
  14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gordon
    You neglected to do the same comparison for m4/3 on the next row. Do you think the Panasonic 45-200 is any smaller than the Sony?

Gordon

15. Amin Sabet

I always bristle a little bit when raw IQ is equated with sensor IQ, because lens performance also has a big effect on IQ. As a general rule, it seems that in order to get similarly great lens performance, the bigger formats need to use bigger lenses. It's not always the case, but it is more often than not. Eg, Oly 45/1.8 vs Sony 50/1.8. Before anyone says it's the OSS, have a look at all the other examples of IS vs non-IS lenses from Canon, Nikon, Tamron, etc. Generally speaking, optical IS doesn't add any size to the lens.

ASony may be overbuilding some of their lenses a bit. A smaller, less expensive, slightly lower performing 24mm f/2 lens would have earned a lot of switchers to the NEX system, whereas the Zeiss 24/1.8 doesn't seem to have had that effect.

16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree, part of the problem with that Zeiss 24/1.8 is the $1,000 price tag. I think part of the attraction of m43 native lenses is that they are are affordable AND good. I think the closest thing on the NEX to a lens like the P20 is the Sigma 30/2.8 (cheap, sharp, good boken and smallish).

17. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Indeed - the size of the 45-200 is similar to that of the Sony 55-210. People often say tiny camera huge lenses when mentioning the Nex vs m43, but the Panasonic 14-42 kit lens is just as big as the 18-55 kit lens of the Nex (and the Nex F3 is quite a bit bigger than all the other Nex models including the 5n). And the majority of people buying a Panasonic or a Nex will probably get the camera + 14-42/18-55 kit lens.

The e-mount 50mm 1.8 is huge though and Olympus do small and light non pancake lenses with their 14-42, 45mm, 40-150mm etc - but then build wise they also feel a bit cheap and flimsy compared to the bigger Panasonic and Nex lenses.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

19. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Joe
    Wow, I didn't realize the Canon was that small. Though I really like my m43 stuff, this shows that there is very little penalty size-wise for the bigger sensor of the Canon. Hopefully this will help motivate Panny/Oly to up their game (rather than beat them down), because the EOS-M looks like pretty stiff competition. And I don't even like Canons. My DSLR is a Nikon.

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, interesting.