Who needs a Leica M9 when you can get this for less...

nowel_g

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Nowel Garcia
I know this may seem like blasphemy for all those Leica addicts who opt for the M9, M9-P, and no Leica M9 Monochrome. Sure they are amazing cameras with superb build quality and beautiful lenses, but not all of us have that kind of money. So for me, I opted for something much less expensive but just as beautiful (at least in my eyes). Post your pics of your Olys.

Attachments

• image-451180454.jpg
    image-451180454.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 498

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Better duck, the Leica folks will be coming with pitchforks and torches! :biggrin: Seriously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still use an E-P1 that I love for the aesthetics - it just looks like a camera should.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I agree with the basic premise and regard my E-M5 (and E-P3 before it) as just as beautiful as any Leica. Plus they autofocus, which is a capability I find essential :smile:.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree (mostly). I dop love RF focusing and there is nothing on the current m43 cameras that can compare with that but I think the OMD and E-P3 with a P20 or O45 are much more compelling to me than dropping the cost of a trip to Antarctica on a camera and lens. If you crave MF you can always pop on a Jupiter 8 or my favorite the Hexanon 24/2.8 and go old school.

The OMD and the E-P3 really look the part as well but I would say the GX1 or my favorite the GH2 are also nice (although considerably less sexy) substitutes as well.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Living in a 2 photographer household.. one who is leica and me who is not...I can honestly say the e-p1 and the OMD are way sexier/easier to use/and get the shots when needed

on the other hand i do have to give Leica the edge on lenses... they are very very good.... would I personally pay for them being that much better?...well its an odd thing ... the way the Leica market works if you had the money to invest in one you probably would lose financially... depreciation is very low

and they take nice images

5123100853_0993bd6917_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Across a crowded room by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

wlewisiii

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
William B. Lewis
Best of both worlds... :wink:

IMG_3609.jpg

Redridge

Mu-43 Regular
old school meets new school...

DSC_1585.jpg

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yup, am happy enough to use Leica glass ( or any sort of great vintage glass) on my E-Ps.

E-PL1 with the 50mm Summicron from my Leica M3
IMG_3881.JPG

E-P2 with the Zuiko 38mm F1.8---this combo helps me stay away from the O-MD and Panny Leica 25 1.4 as well as the M9.
P5230025.jpg

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
jupiter-3_web.jpg

The original E-P1 Digital PEN with KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5

e-pl2_and_e-pm1_web.jpg

E-PL2 PEN Lite with Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 and E-PM1 PEN Mini with Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5

zeiss_sonnar_135mm_2,8_web.jpg

E-P1 Digital PEN with Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8

Redridge

Mu-43 Regular
What is that titanium going for?.... is it close to $20k nowadays...

nseika

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lois
Still want one.
It's the ancient RF focusing system.

Those peoples who said just buy the mirrorless camera like Pen or X-Pro if you can't afford an M9; like buying a Japanese car if you can't afford European car, is seeing it wrong. It's like wanting a sedan in a world where every other company only make SUV.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Those peoples who said just buy the mirrorless camera like Pen or X-Pro if you can't afford an M9; like buying a Japanese car if you can't afford European car, is seeing it wrong. It's like wanting a sedan in a world where every other company only make SUV.

Who needs a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus... etc... my fully loaded turbo LTZ inferno orange Chevy Sonic is just as good for less.. much less.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
My EP-1, in silver, was the best looking m4/3 camera I've owned (I've owned quite a few) but sadly it didn't get used so it has a new home. My EP-2 in black was my favourite to use but would have been sexier in silver. The OMD is close to the EP-1 and when the lenses all arrive (12-35 and 75mm) that will be my kit.

While my M9 is most certainly a beautiful camera to look at and use, I would say a silver EP1/2 with the 17mm and VF1 is as good looking a camera.

Gordon

duke

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Duke
I don't think there is any reason I would ever want a Leica, unless someone gave one to me. For what they are they are ridiculously overpriced. The lenses are nice but they aren't 70x better, although that is what the pricing would suggest (comparing the Canon 50f1.8 to the APO50f2 to emphasize the absurdity ;)

The M monochrome is a completely collector/rich guy hey look at me camera. I've used an M9 for a while and it is probably the worst camera I've used in the past 5 years. Screen is horrible, rf is tiny if you're used to any other kind of viewfinder, no af, files are noisy after 800iso(and it's full frame!), and the build quality is okay, nothing amazing (for that look at the Canon 1 series). People are just so brainwashed for some reason... anyway, that's enough of a Leica rant, I hope they make tons of money and can't wait for the $30,000 silver version...

nickthetasmaniac

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you're trying to justify a leica on price then you simply don't get it and likely never will. Not saying that to be offensive, it's just a fact of life. Different people have different tastes, and what makes a thing work for one person may make it seem idiotic for someone else.

A way off topic example - 'Fever to Tell' is one of the best rock albums I've ever listened to. And then Karen O learned to sing...

God I hope Leica never learns to sing...

Latest threads

Top Bottom