EM-5 Myset

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, May 14, 2012.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Myset 1,2,3,4. Seems a bit confusing. It would be nice to be able to rename them. Also Set/Reset has caused me to reset when I tried to set.
    Advertisement

2. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 Top Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  4. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

:confused: My Avast! Internet Security didn't report a problem. I had no trouble downloading and printing it. I clipped it to Evernote and printed it from there. If I can share my Evernote note, I'll post it here later today.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

The problem I have (and have had) with Olympus "mysets" is that its really difficult to get to them. Most cameras with good custom setting capabilities give you My 1, My 2, and maybe My 3 right on the mode dial. Or at the very least make it easy to access them all with a single click of a button. On the Olympus you can assign a set to a specific button, but as far as I can tell, you have to hold down the button to use it - you can't move between mysets for different shooting conditions without doing some pretty serious menu diving. I basically don't use them as a result. One of the only things about Oly's interface I really don't like. Most of the complexity to me seems like a worthwhile tradeoff for the extremely flexible level of customizing you can do, but creating this fairly powerful custom setting mechanism without a better way to get at the settings you create seems like a pretty serious shortfall to me. Something I'd love to see in a firmware fix, but Olympus has been doing it this way through several models, so they must think its the best way to implement this feature...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Best I can do without inviting you to my drive C:/

A Guide To The Olympus MYSET Function
    There is some (understandable) confusion about the Olympus MYSET function which is available in every PEN and some E series Olympus bodies - hopefully this will help clear things up regarding it and help some people to use this very useful and versatile function.

IMPORTANT: First things first - you must take the Olympus user manual and put it somewhere safe; so safe that you'll never find it again should you ever think about needing it - now that's out of the way, down to business.

What is MYSET?
    MYSET is the ability to save frequently (or infrequently) used settings in the camera in a bank of SETS - invoking the numbered MYSET will bring all the settings you saved back instantly. My own E-PL2 has four MYSETS; other bodies may have more or less.

How to start using MYSET?
    The best and easiest way is as follows - set the camera to your normal shooting settings; whatever you most commonly use, and this will be saved as MYSET1.....assuming you have now set your normal settings, follow the screenshots and text below:

Press the Menu button > Use the arrow/dial and OK button to enter the RESET/MYSET menu as shown below.

Now navigate to MYSET1

Now arrow/button RIGHT and you will see the screen below

Now press the OK button - your normal shooting settings are now saved as MYSET1.

It's very good practice to always go into the menu and activate MYSET1 each time you turn the camera on - this can save a bit of a disaster as you could have changed settings previously that you have forgotten about and still be shooting with them. With a bit of practice it takes about three seconds to do this.

How to add further MYSETS?
    Set your camera to your now saved MYSET1 (see below for how to do this); now change whatever you like; Bracketing; Auto ISO; Flash settings; anything. Now follow the steps above to enter the MYSET menu once more. Now navigate to MYSET2 > Arrow/Button right > Press OK button. Done. You now have a totally different set of camera settings in MYSET2. Any further MYSETS are set in the same way.

How to apply previously saved MYSETS?
    Highlight the MYSET you wish to invoke and press the OK button. You will see the screenshot below: Arrow up to 'Yes', then press OK again, and the MYSET is now invoked and active.

There seems to be some confusion regarding the difference between saving settings as MYSETS and invoking previously saved MYSETS. If you are in the main MYSET menu shown below, the easy way to remember what does what is this.

Pressing 'OK' on any of the four mysets will invoke this previously saved MYSET; makes the saved settings active. If you arrow/button right in this menu, it means you are going to save the current camera settings as the highlighted MYSET number. DON'T arrow right if you don't want to save. If you save three MYSETS as shown above and are happy with them, you NEVER need to arrow/button right again unless you want to save a change in settings.

A Few Points To Note:
    · MYSETS only apply to PASM modes
    · Stating the obvious: If you set your MYSET in 'A' mode, and are not in 'A' mode when you invoke it, the camera obviously can't physically change the mode dial on your camera, but..... if you assign a MYSET to a custom function button, the camera can/will override the dial PASM setting while the Fn (or other custom assigned) button is depressed.
    · If you change settings while in a MYSET and turn the camera off, the changed settings will be retained upon switching it on again - get in the habit of invoking MYSET1 on turning the camera on and you won't be caught out with this.
    · You can save virtually any settings in a MYSET - very few settings are global, and really none that will effect you for photography (there are a list of these settings in your user manual; the same one you now can't find as you followed the first part of this tutorial very carefully).

A few things that would be very useful but aren't available:

The ability to rename the MYSETS.
    The currently in use MYSET number to be shown on screen somewhere.
    The ability to export MYSETS to your memory card or computer and import them again.

Source: A Guide To The Olympus MYSET Function.rtf

• Like Like x 6
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dekhog also posted a guide to MySets here in this forum awhile back.

This is my workflow with MySets, as an example of how one can use it. I'm sure there are many other ways:

MySet 1: My daytime setting. Standard f/5.6, no IBIS, max ISO 1600
    MySet 2: My nighttime setting. Fastest aperture I have (f/1.4), IBIS on, max ISO 6400
    MySet 3: nothing yet
    MySet 4: Same as MySet 1, except also set for bracketing (exposure bracketing 5EV on, continuous 9fps shooting).

When I turn on my camera, if I don't remember what setting it was last at, I set it immediately to 1 or 2 depending on the situation. Then I change whatever settings I need to for the current shoot via SCP (aperture, ISO, flash etc).

Effectively, I use it as a way of switching to known camera defaults.

8. hoggdoc

hoggdoc Mu-43 Rookie

Wayne
    I couldn't agree more with Ray. I discovered this after setting MySet 1 to allow a 7 step HDR series of images. Imagine my dismay when I set the Fn1 button to what I thought was an ON/OFF for MySet 1.

I think Olympus should address this by allowing any of the programmable buttons to walk through any MySet that have been custom SET label, then press OK to accept. After programming the button to make the selection, the camera mode would be set to those settings until being turned OFF.

Does anyone have access to persons within the Olympus organization that gathers requests for changes to firmware? :thumbup:

9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Scott
    ++1

MY SETS is useful pretty much when you turn your camera on for a session to get it to a known starting point, and useless for the way it works on my Nikon D7000 (U1 and U2 on the mode dial). I'd LOVE to be able to assign SCN and ART as MYSETS - this would be awesome.

10. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

According to the user manual, on page 30 and 31 the in-use myset will be shown on the evf or lcd... Is there an option to select somewhere to see the in-use myset?

11. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan (John) Kusters
    I was annoyed with the problem you can't see what 'my set' is active, but once I started using it, it turned out ok; every set I use has another (highest) ISO setting, so whenever I switch on the camera with the lens cap on, I see the ISO and know what setting I am in. A quick hand over the lens during shooting offers the same info.

12. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

I have my Mysets set up for 1. daylight/night time shooting, 2. fill flash, 3. flash, since those are the main things that I wish to have it set up for. When I turn on my camera, I can look inside the viewfinder and determine what it is set for by which white balance settings is set for. If it is set for something that I am not shooting, I immediately change to a different Mysets number. I just have to remember that pushing on the ok button will set my Mysets to 1-4 and pushing the arrow to the right will change setup of my Myset settings permanently.

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

What's shown on pages 30-1 is only when you are using the "Quick MySet" described on page 42, which is to temporarily engage the MySet settings for one shot (or for however long you hold down the MySet button).

When you use a regular MySet it's only valid until you change ONE setting on the camera (including the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, or any one of the other settings saved by the MySet). After changing a setting, you can't say you are using the MySet settings anymore!

Think of MySets as a custom reset starting point to get your camera to a known configuration...once you carried out the MySet you'll tweak the settings for that particular shoot.

For instance I may select my indoor MySet and from there adjust the white balance (and exposure) setting for the lighting I'm shooting in. Am I still using that MySet? Of course not because I've deviated from the saved settings!

And if I take a lunch break and do another indoor shoot in th afternoon under different lighting conditions I will select the indoor MySet again to get back to my known starting point, and again tweak the settings for that particular lighting.

It would be STUPID if you were locked into the settings the MySet were set to...that's what SCN modes are for (and personally I never use those as I don't want the camera limiting me)!

If it did display the MySet being used, how long until it shouldn't display anymore...after one setting is changed? How about two? Ten? Again after changing ONE setting you are no longer using the MySet configuration.

14. Hjelbe

Hjelbe New to Mu-43

There IS a simple way to show which MySet is selected...

If one really wants to see which MySet was last selected (even after any alterations from it's original state) one can easily accomplish it by adding an additional setting to each MySet...

The SuperControlPanel displays information about which function is assigned to a specific function button at its bottom right corner.
    I read somewhere one could actually _control_ said setting from the SCP but I haven't been able to get it do do anything but _display_ the selected buttons setting...

...and this is where my tip comes in:
    To my MySet1 I have set the button B-Fn2 to activate "MySet1", to my MySet2 I have dedicated the B-Fn2 to activate "MySet2" and so forth...

I then simply choose to specifically display the setting for B-Fn2 on my SCP and voila - when I select MySet3 it displays that on the screen - and of course continues to do so even if I alter some setting allowing me to remember which base-setting I started out from...

It makes sense to me to utilize that particular button since I do not own the HLD-6 grip thus making that button unavailable anyway but for those of you using said grip might not want to use it for this purpose so as always - your milage may vary...

• Like Like x 2
  15. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

This helped make everything clear for me.

Assigning the Mysets to the Mode Dial positions works on the E-P5 too. One little detail is that the Mode Dial assignment option is only available after you've created at least one Myset.

16. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

I thought I was beginning the understand MYSETS and I do think I've made some progress BUT:

What is the relationship between Mysets and the Mode dial?

- Do the four modes on the dial (PASM) mean I can have four sets of MYSETS? Four for each mode?

- Let's say I create a MYSET in "P-Mode" and save it as MYSET 1. Let's say I invoke MYSET 1 while the camera is physically in "A-Mode." Does this mean the camera will now behave like it's in "P-Mode" even though the dial is physically set at "A-Mode?"

Thanks for any help.

R

17. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

I think the E-M5 doesn't allow to assign mysets to the mode dial, at least it didn't before the last fw update

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

18. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

You're right, it does on epl-5 and others but still not on EM5 which is a shame.