Would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dixeyk, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 All-Pro

Luke
    If you aren't loving the E-P3, just sell it. But the X10 files will pale in comparison to ANY of your m4/3 files. If you need to relieve the GAS, buy a used one and sell it when you come to the same conclusion and consider it a cheap audition.

Does the X10 fulfill a niche that the E-P1 and G2 don't?
    Advertisement

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Selling it does seem like the best option if I do get rid of it. The X10 does give me macro which I currently do not have.

3. dixeyk

That makes sense. Honestly, I am not sold on the X10 idea either. Perhaps the best option is to sell the E-P3 and VF2 and then go shopping. What's difficult about this choice is that I don't dislike the E-P3, it's a fine camera. I just don't find myself choosing to use it over what I already have. I suppose part of that is familiarity with my existing gear and my preference for the mini-DSLR style. Aslo, I didn't buy the E-P3. I got it in a trade so I don't have a lot invested in it nor any attachment to it.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

If there's nothing out there that you need/want, hang on to the $$$ until something does. Cameras and bodies depreciate so quickly

5. dixeyk

Decided to keep the E-P3. I'll just keep it around as a backup. I don't dislike the E-P3 so its not a big hardship. I rather like the speed so I'll use it for family snapshots and such. I may even try one of those thumbs up clones to add a thumb rest to it as how clumsy it is to hold is far and away my biggest gripe.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator Subscribing Member

The X10 has a lot going for it, but it's not going to be better in low light than your E-P3 with those prime lenses.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

I'd like to hear how you get along with the Thumbs Up! I think this is actually one of the more overlooked improvements of the E-M5, is the extended thumb rest. We're so used to thinking in terms of front grip that most of us think the holding improvement is just in the addition of a recessed horizontal battery grip.

It's just a shame that it kinda gets in the way of the rear dial. I'm curious to hear if you have any similar problem with the Thumbs Up on the E-P3.

8. demiro

demiro hasta la vista Subscribing Member

Dean
    Just as an FYI, you can pick up an open box X10 at OneCall for $500 with full warranty, and for $600 from Newegg BNIB, but they have a 10% off sale at the moment, so $540.

I wouldn't even flip an E-P3 by itself straight up for an X10, as you maybe break even on the cash side but lose the warranty and ability to return the X10. Plus, Fuji is now offering sensor upgrades to fix the white disk issue. Not sure if that applies to non-primary owners.

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

I say get rid of the E-P3. I don't think you're gaining anything by having 3 cameras with the same sensor, all about the same size. I've often said that it's not worth collecting camera bodies like they're Pokemon cards. Take 10 seconds every now and again to switch lenses. The X10 is a nice addition, because it's a point and shoot. I wouldn't expect it to noticeably beat any of our cameras for high ISO work.

I never intended to end up with three. I had purchased an E-PM1 after I sold off my G2 and found that while I like it a lot it was too small for my hands. I got the E-P3 in a trade for the E-PM1 and then a nicely priced G2 showed up so I bought that (really the one I wanted). I guess I feel like I SHOULD like the E-P3 but it's what I call a sister kiss.

10. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Hi,

If you are after a camera with low light performance like I do when the my E-PL1 does not serve me then, I purchase a NEX 3 instead. Sony no longer sells this model. If you don't like this NEX 3 then Nex C3 is currently selling at a very good price. Pairing this body with the new Sigma 30mm f2.8 you get an awesome combo. C3 can easily take clean images up to ISO 1600 and you may even get 3200 in some cases.

With NEX body you don't get from Fuji or Pany or Oly, are:

1. Panoramic feature, in camera processing
    2. HDR in camera processing.

these 2 features are fun and still give you very good images.

I like my Nex 3, may upgrade to NEX 5N.

11. dixeyk

Thanks and I appreciate the suggestion but I have tried my friends NEX 3 a few times and find that I don't care for it. They are cool little cameras with big performance but the currently don't have much in the way of lenses that would be equivalent to my m43 lenses (P14., P20 and O45) and I don't want to support another "system". I don't plan to sell my G2 or my m43 lenses.

12. dixeyk

I agree...If I get rid of the E-P3 I'm going to just sell it and the VF2 outright and buy an X10 new.