Interview with OzRay

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I use the Olympus 4/3s system exclusively for my news/sports work; 2 x E3s, 7-14mm, 14-35mm, 35-100mm and 90-250mm and on rare ocassions an 8mm, plus the usual flash etc. There are three reasons I've stayed with Olympus, though I have sometimes toyed with getting some Nikon gear.

Firstly, there is no real equivalent to the 90-250mm lens in any other camera system that I've found and it's my workhorse sports lens coupled with the 1.4x converter. This provides me with flexibility that not one of my peers has on the sports field and is the main reason I always come home with a great range of keepers.

Secondly, this system is completely waterproof, not just water resistant as Olympus advertises. I have stood in bucketing rain where even the Canon users begin to shelter their gear and have not had one problem. Heck, I've even dropped some of my lenses into rivers and they have come out unscathed.

Thirdly, no other system is as relatively compact as the Olympus 4/3s system. While the camera body isn't the smallest, the lenses make up for it in spades. When I see my peers lugging their stuff at a football grand final, I just think of how lucky I am.

On the other hand, the Olympus bodies have always lagged the competition in terms of features and performance, but that hasn't really affected my ability to produce great results, it just requires a different approach. Considering the leap in capability from my E1 to my E3, I'm expecting great things from the E3 replacement. The m4/3s range is proof of what good things are ahead.

For my personal work I pretty much use m4/3s exclusively nowadays. However, I have used my m4/3s gear for some news work, more as a trial, and I may do so more often. The m4/3s system is simply so easy to take about; it's flexible, capable, produces high quality work and I just love using the manual lenses. This is completely opposite to my other gear, where I wouldn't think of using manual lenses. If Olympus brings out a m4/3s body aimed more at the pro user, I think it will become a much more regular work horse for my editorial work.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Ray,
Thanks for doing the interview. It gives us a peek inside the way you think and work.
I have one last question...

Question 10.

What is your favorite lens?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Your welcome.

My favourite lens in 4/3s is the Olympus 14-35mm f2, a staggeringly good lens. In m4/3s, the Voigtlander 28mm f2.

Cheers

Ray

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
Ray/Shooter thanks for the interview

Ray

If you were able to go and shoot at any location or function or event for pleasure not work, where would you choose and why.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Ray

If you were able to go and shoot at any location or function or event for pleasure not work, where would you choose and why.

Iceland.

I would go there at the drop of a hat, any time of the year, given the opportunity. It's a landscape that I could just immerse myself in and absorb something simply amazing. The closest that I've ever come to that has been above the Arctic Circle in Lapland and I know that's not even remotely comparable.

Cheers

Ray

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
enjoyed the interview, thanks

from my pov its the best time to go to iceland , there are photographic opportunities that may not reoccur in our lifetimes.................just MHO

just be upwind , so to speak , but some downwind photo ops may be awesome as well.

benoly

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you both for the interview...
Ray, do you actively focus the Voigt 28 or do you use the distance scales at f/8, f11?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Thank you both for the interview...
Ray, do you actively focus the Voigt 28 or do you use the distance scales at f/8, f11?

I do both, depending on the situation/subject matter. If lots of things are happening and eyeball focussing isn't convenient, I use the distance scale and stop down, I don't often stop down to f8 or lower, usually staying above f5.6. But having the ability to use the hyperfocal distance capability is great, a real loss in the world of modern AF lenses.

Cheers

Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Ray thank you very much for participating with Don in this interview. I enjoyed reading it very much, both the questions and your answers were very worth while reading and gave me a glimpse into your photographic world and your history.:drinks:

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have to second BBW's thanks ...
Thanks Ray its nice for the m43 camp to know how a Pro values both the 43 and the m43 systems when often a Pro brings out the FF subject.

Ray I did do a some weddings 20years ago MamiFlex TLR (Very Heavy)
The underlying thing is as the Photographer you are NOT allowed to fail (I even had a flash backup) they can't rerun the wedding :rofl:

Cheers Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
That's much like a discussion I had with another full time photographer in Canada. A lot of work is being taken by amateurs who can buy fairly good gear, but don't really know how to use it effectively and don't realise how much work is actually involved in often the simplest of assignments. They may do one or two jobs, do them poorly and then move on to something easier.

I'm seriously thinking, as the opportunity for retirement looms nearer, that I may want to become just an amateur again and enjoy photography as a hobby, rather than a job. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom