Canon FD 50mm f1.4 vs. Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm f1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by melvinbrian, Jan 8, 2012.

1. melvinbrian

melvinbrian Mu-43 Regular

What do you think of these 2 lenses?
    I already have the minolta. And planning to grab the canon. Then sell the minolta.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    Advertisement

2. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I'm not sure why you'd switch to the Canon when Minolta offers 2 distinct and excellent 1.4 lenses.

The 58mm 1.4 is quite sharp with BEAUTIFUL bokeh.

The 50mm 1.4 Rokkor is incredibly sharp (as sharp as any other 50mm 1.4 you can find).

The Canon is a fine lens in its own right, but I don't know of any advantage over the lenses I mentioned.

I'm guessing you already have the Minolta adapter....

• Like Like x 2
  3. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

+1. That's exactly what I was going to say. Plus, Minolta lenses are usually a bit cheaper than Canon lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

5. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

At the prices for these lenses, why not get them all?

• Like Like x 2
  6. melvinbrian

Canon 50mm f1.4 is the only available f1.4 in an online buy and sell here in manila.
    I am also looking for the 1.4 of minolta but it's just too hard to find. Or other guys get their hands on the lens first before I find the item for sale.
    I dont have paypal so i don't do ebay international.

7. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

Ah, I see. Have you tried ordering from one of the reputable online photography shops? B&H ships overseas and they have a large stock of old lenses.

But if you're debating between the Minolta MD Rokkor f1.7 and the Canon FD f1.4, I think the only real difference will be the max aperture. If it's worth the difference in cost to you, then it'll definitely get you some good bokeh and low-light performance.

8. melvinbrian

What about minolta 50mm f1.4 vs canon 50mm f1.4?

9. shan564

shan564 Mu-43 Rookie

I've never compared the two side-by-side, but I think that the general consensus is that the quality is similar (unless you're looking at one of Canon's super-expensive lenses).

10. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Looks like the Canon is sharper in the corners wide open?
    Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1,4 (see last post in thread)

But otherwise not much difference, both great legacy lenses and you should be happy with either one.

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had one of those for years. think the quality of the Canon is quite good. It's quite sharp although I found the colors a bit cool for my taste but that's just me. That said, I wouldn't switch to a Canon FD 50/1.4 from any of my faster 50's. The main reason is that I find the FD mount to be fiddly and a real pain in the backside to deal with and as nice as the Canon is I don't find it that different from any other 50/1.4. Unless you already have a bunch of FD stuff I'm not sure what it gets you. Also as other folks have stated a Minolta 50/1.4 is just as good, likely cheaper and IMHO has better bokeh to boot.

12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have the canon 50SSC 50 1.4. as well as the Minolta 50 1.4, and as dixeyk said, the rokkor is warmer and in my opinion is a better handling lens. Both will get the job done, but my smc takumar 50 1.4 leaves them both behind, for warmth and sharpness in my opinion.

13. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Larry Anderson
    I have to agree with Grinch on this one. My 50mm f/1.4 Takumar has to be one of my favorite all around bits of glass. I just dont get the reproduction from any other lens.

Here is a sample...I know its a cat pic :) but it means the world to me...I just lost her this past weekend after 15 years..but you get the idea.

This was shot wide open in a dim room

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oh yeah you're right about that. The Super Takumar 50/1.4 is a GREAT lens. Worst decision I ever made was selling mine. Luckily I stumbled across one on consignment that looked like it had never been used. A few days under a UV light and it was good as new.