What was YOUR camera of the YEAR?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by John M Flores, Dec 12, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Let's hear it! The only rule is that it needs to have been announced and released (available for purchase) in 2011.

Discuss!

And then click and tell us what your lens of the year is!

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'd say Sony Nex-7, but then not sure if it's available. So, I'd have to choose the GX-1.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fujifilm X100.

Okay, so I don't even own one, but it was the camera release that got me excited to take the next step after using a LX3 for a couple years. I researched and actually had a X100 in hand for a day, but then decided to return it and buy an E-P2 instead (and then purchased the E-P3 when it was available).

It turned out that it wasn't the camera for me, but I still think the X100 is cool and was, again for me, the most exciting camera release of 2011.

4. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

Fuji X100, I never leave home with out it.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

NEX5n or GX1. NEX for being a sleeper upgrade to the NEX5. GX1 for panasonic listening to its customers (tho, I think it's pricing itself a bit high).

NEX7 an honorable mention for the controls and supposedly amazing EVF. It's price and shoving of the high MP senor knocks it for me.

Nikon 1 series gets an honorable mention to for really surprising me in IQ, in particular high ISO. The AF is also quite nice. Price and small lens selection are its downfall for now.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In automobiles the car of the year doesn't have to be the fastest, biggest or BEST of anything but can instead represent a truly fresh approach to the automotive world...in that spirit I'd say the Olympus E-PM1 would be my camera of the year in that it represents an affordable camera that is friendly to point and shoot users, has enough manual control to satisfy enthusiasts and packs remarkable utility into a very VERY small package.

...and I don't even have one but I think it deserves consideration.

7. WT21

WT21 m43 Boom-a-rang Subscribing Member

X100 by far. I didn't buy it, because I don't shoot 35mm FOV, but that has to be the camera of the year.

EP3 is second.

EPM1 is my PERSONAL camera of the year though, so I'd agree with Kevin on that one!

8. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Those would be my picks! I also didn't buy the X100, but only because I bought an E-P3 for the added versatility of interchangeable lenses. And just for the record, I still think about the X100 from time to time. There, I said it! :biggrin:

If Fuji ever bring out an improved X200, I don't think I will be able to resist.

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Wasn't the X100 released '10?

Anyway, for me there's nothing... Lots of interesting evolutions (EP3, GX1, G3, NEX7 and 5n, A77) but nothing mind-blowing...

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

It was showcased/announced in 2010 but released in Feb 2011 :smile:

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Nic
    I expect that by 2012 or 2013 at the latest I will be able to tell you what my favourite 2011 release camera was.

12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

I have X100, EP3, EPL3 and X10 and did have a G3 for abit. .. I would pick X10.. most versatile.. all good though.. X10 is just sweet.. IMHO for a Rookie minor leaguer.. :smile:

13. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Easy my camera of the year is the camera I was able to buy GH2!!

14. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-PM1 - the power of an E-P3 in a great form-factor and priced to move.

Still waiting for focus peaking firmware . . . Olympus . . . nudge nudge wink wink . . .

15. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Hasse
    E-PM1. Cheap + very capable hardware = gateway drug to the wonderous world of the m43 ecosystem.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Steve
    Add me to the list of those calling the E-PM1 their personal camera of the year. And the thing is, I don't think Oly realized what a sleeper they had when they released it.

I don't think the NEX-7 is actually available yet. But the Fuji X100, for all of its flaws, clearly was the camera that generated the most buzz and excitement.

17. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

I love my GH2, but the NEX7 definitely deserve Camera of the Year. Almost everything that a top-of-the-line mu43 camera can be, minus the lens selection, lens sizes, and non-standard hot shoe.

18. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dave
    The E P3 has given me everything I had hoped for with the pen camera.
    Well almost everything. I am thoroughly enjoying learning to make better photographs with this camera. The fact that I bought the 12 with it also made a big difference.

19. demiro

demiro undecided Subscribing Member

Dean
    It's easily the X10 for me. It is a game-changer and a new category creator. I can't say that about very many cameras I have ever used.

20. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

I am thoroughly enjoying my new GX1 but I'd have to give the nod to the Ricoh GXR Mount A12 as camera (err .. lensor) of the year.