Any Guess about Canon's EVIL?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Friends
    As we all know , our MFT( Micro four third or My Favourite Tool) changed the digital photography . Initially Canon and Nikon Just ignored the small sensor and small camera body idea but now it seems everyone wanna jump on this bandwagon . Nikon has recently introduced their version of Mirrorless ILC but I don't think It will make any major impression in long run. Now there are many people who are just hoping that Canon will probably introduce something like Sony Nex series with APS-C size sensor . Can anybody guess what Canon is upto?Will this Canon fire to kill or just miss the target?
    Cheers
    :smile::smile:
    Bhupinder
    Advertisement

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Promit Roy
    I guess it's not announced yet.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

If Canon can design a mirrorless camera which can directly accept the EF/EF-S mount ... they will make a killing. Dunno if that is possible ... but then I don't much about what is possible about anything.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They have really backed themselves in a corner by stating many many times they don't "need" a mirrorless system.

When they see the sales the Nikon 1 racks up and want in, they will have a helluva time IMHO.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree, unless they do something smart like offer a simple mirror-less with one of their APS-H Size sensors in it and price it less or around a thousand.
    Then i think they would fire a Kill shot.

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

...will signal the beginning of the end for this once-mighty giant...

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

I don't get this fascination with the Canon name. There are already a number of very good mirrorless systems out, micro 4/3 being the mot complete system. Yet there are SO many people who tell me, "if Canon made that I would buy it immediately!"

Why is that? Does having the Canon name make the product better even BEFORE IT EXISTS!? Canon doesn't even specialize in this type of camera, whereas Olympus has been specializing in high quality compact system cameras for over 50 years! Yet a non-existent Canon is naturally going to be better because it's made by Canon?

Now, I can see somebody who loves BMW motorcycles wanting to try a BMW car because of their good experience with the motorcycles. However, if I loved my Harley Davidson motorcycle does that mean that I would walk all winter because Harley doesn't make a car? I can't buy a Ford truck or a Mazda sports car because it would betray my brand loyalty to Harley Davidson who doesn't make those things? What a ridiculous way of thinking...

If you want an EVIL, then buy an EVIL! Lots of camera manufacturers make them.

• Like Like x 12
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Canon is the #1 dSLR seller in the world ... if a Canon user could pick up a compact that would accept their existing system ... nearly every Canon user in the world would probably buy into such a Canon compact system.

G

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol ..I agree that some people are so much fascinated with Canon name. But I am not one of them . I have a friend who keeps on boosting his Canon collection but secretly admired my Pen results. He is quite hopeful that Canon will come with some sort of EVIL thing at some stage as he is actually fed with his huge monster camera body.
    Cheers

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Canon has just released a DSLR specifically for video. They have also release a professional video camera with four new lenses--the camera is $20K, there two prime lenses are around $7K and the zooms around $45K. And they have announced their new flagship DSLR. I am sure Canon is secure in the professional market.

As well as the mirrorless systems are doing, Canon not offering an EVIL camera will be of little concern. Canon has compact models for those that want a mirrorless camera.

• Like Like x 4
  11. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Your guess is as good as everybody else. What difference does it make? As long as you're happy with what you currently have. Why bother talk about the others? What will you get out of it?

Just my 2c.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm a Nikon guy, a Canon mirrorless doesn't mean much to me. I'm fine with my Olympus Pens!

13. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

I love my Canon DSLR system. And I love my Olympus Pen. I love my Powershot S95 too, and loved my old Panasonic LX3 when I had it. Before that, I loved my Fuji F30.

And I loved many others before that! I guess I'm just a whore that way... :wink: :biggrin:

14. demiro

demiro undecided Subscribing Member

Dean
    A lot of people say this, but I just don't get it. I can't imagine many people being happy with EF or EF-S glass on a :43:-type body. Especially the heavier and bigger L glass. It would make the 100-300 on a GF3 seem perfectly fine and balanced.

If Canon does something more I would like to see it with the G series. It was once the de facto high end P&S, but has been equalled or passed by more than a few offerings and really lost it's edge. I'd love to see an improved body (a la the x10/100) and OVF with an interchangeable lens system developed for that body. Move it from a P&S to an ILC. Let the S100 be the top P&S.

15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

The idea that if one camera company makes a one type of camera, then the other must follow is not supported by history. Pentax, Minolta, and Konica all made medium-format cameras, Canon, Olympus, and Nikon did not. Pentax and Nikon made telescopes, Olympus and Nikon make microscopes. Olympus ignored their 35mm cameras and developed a new digital system around the 4/3 sensor, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Minolta just converted their film standard. Olympus and Konica has half-frame cameras. Kodak and Minolta had disk cameras. Only Sony, Nikon, and Canon use 35mm-size sensors. Pentax has a medium-format digital camera.

But EVIL cameras are really just compact cameras and are not really a new type of camera at all. We have always had compacts, we always will. The electronic viewfinder pre-dates these cameras as well. So whether Canon throws their hat in the ring or not really does not matter.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Well... we had fixed-lens compacts, and we had system cameras. We didn't have the two together, in a digital format... That's what's new.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Leica M8...

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

The challenge for Canon (and Nikon as well) is that their entry-level dSLR business is probably a large part of their success, whether you're measuring unit sales or profits. Because of that, they are very protective of that business. And ultimately, any change from the current status quo is fraught with risks.

If they introduce a Canon EVIL using EF glass, there's no guarantee that they will sell as well as their Rebels; some may defect to Nikon or others brands if that happens.

If they introduce a Canon EVIL and it does well, it may be at smaller profit margins that ends up looking bad on their books.

So there's no way to know how a Canon EVIL will do with respect to their Rebel line. So if their introduce an EVIL, they'll position it in the marketplace in a way that doesn't threaten their entry-level business. That's what Nikon did. We'll see how that works out for them.

In the meantime, mirrorless continues to evolve, and this may in fact be the first holiday season where entry-level mirrorless can stand toe-to-toe with entry-level dSLRs in terms of price and performance. I'm thinking of the Panasonic G3 and the entry-level Sonys in particular. I don't know enough about Olympus - what current cameras are price competitive with an entry-level Rebel?

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Yes, that would be the closest... Rangefinders are a different type of camera, but I guess these are like a compact, auto-focus rangefinder?

20. demiro

demiro undecided Subscribing Member

Dean
    At the end of the day Canon would much rather cannibalize there own entry level DSLRs with an EVIL offering than see someone else take those sales. It doesn't seem like Panny or Oly's :43: offerings ever scared Canon much though. I think Nikon jumping in to that segment might be the game changer that gets Canon off the bench. I hope so anyway. Not that I love Canon or think they will make an amazing camera. I just think that more competition is better for all of us.

You are right on with the G3 I think. If that camera is marketed properly it will be a huge hit with the soccer mom set. G3 + 14-42X for $800 would be a winner. The issue is that Panny is almost invisible in most US retail outlets that I frequent. People seek out and buy Canon and Nikon cameras because of brand strength. Sony seems willing to push their cameras. Panny seems happy to exist as they always have.