Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux Announced. Two More Lenses in the Works for 2011

Discussion in 'Front Page News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator Subscribing Member

Panasonic today announced the much anticipated Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux for Micro 4/3:
    Advertisement

[​IMG]

Unlike the regular (non-Micro) 4/3 version, the new lens is fairly compact and light (~200 gm).

Availability is expected August 2011, and pricing has not yet been determined.

Additional coverage and links to sample images from this lens: New Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 (M43rds) lens - 1001 Noisy Cameras

Meanwhile, Quesabesde (translation) is reporting that Panasonic revealed that there will be two additional lenses announced this fall. At the time that Panasonic first revealed the development of a 25mm f/1.4 lens, they also revealed that a "bright [standard] zoom" and "bright wide angle [prime]" were "under consideration". It therefore seems likely that the upcoming lenses will fall into those categories.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ... Subscribing Member

Richard Elliott
    A fast 10mm would be attractive as part of a set with the 14/2.5 and the 20/1.7. .

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

I guess panasonic like to keep secrets because two days ago I wrote them and asked if any new lenses were coming out. They said none planned for this year.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What did you expect them to say?

6. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

I expect them to tell consumers the truth. I didn't know it was a secret to help customers make informed buying decisions.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Promit Roy
    Companies don't give up roadmaps just because random guy X wants to know -- and they certainly don't care about informed buying decisions, unless you've been informed to buy their product. Did you stumble into the modern world yesterday?

8. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

That's ridiculous. If a customer asks a question like that they could have said, "Yes, but we are not authorized to give details as we do not release to the general public." They should not have said, "No."

9. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

J1.33 - I really admire your moxie just to call them up and ask - but I'm not surprised that they gave you a boilerplate answer. Don't take it personally, the person you spoke to probably didn't know any better.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

People ask me about new upcoming Olympus products all the time, and I just tell them that nobody really knows until Olympus makes an official announcement from Tokyo. Anything up until then is speculation and conjecture.

I agree with Johnny that the answer he was given was not handled well.

11. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Regular

The Swedish site fotosidan.se mentions SEK 6000 as price. If this includes normal European rate tax, the price would be 650-700 euros. This is the same as the PL45. I'm seriously considering this.

12. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

I agree -and it's been known for ages that the 25mm would be announced today so for them to say 2 days ago that they had no further lens plans for this year is absurd imo.

13. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

I wrote them and told them I didn't appreciate it.

14. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

Did you send the email to the exact person that sent you the previous email?

If not, what a waste of your time..

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank Amin

Thanks, Amin.

I did not know I post without registering at all. Not really a great feature.

- Hikari

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Could come in handy if you became dyslexic and forgot your password:)

ixxx

17. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

...really?!?
    I am sticking to 20mm f1.7

18. KVG

KVG Banned User

Kelly Gibbons
    This is great news! I really want fast zoom and a wide angle prime.

19. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Known for ages by whom?

I work for a company known to be secretive about pre-announce plans, and if you'd asked a random person in the company two days before a launch, they might have said pretty much the same thing because they didn't actually know from inside the company (and may not read rumor sites).

Sure, there were people who would have known, who might have said, "We do not pre-announce" instead (which is always a better answer).

To assume that everyone in one of the world's largest electronics firms must therefore know everything is an erroneous assumption.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tabbyarthur

tabbyarthur Mu-43 Regular