what about the digital film?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by kytra, Apr 4, 2011.

1. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

I am very curious about this
    Advertisement

2. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

I really don't know what I think of this. I have an old film camera that I still use because I like doing stuff by hand. I like developing as much as taking the pictures. I wouldn't mind having one of these for in my bag, in case I run out of film or something along those lines. Still don't know what to think of this. Nice find though.

3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

4. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Such a cool idea, too bad.

Being a techy, I HATE April fools day

5. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

I thought about it being a joke when I wondered how the cartridge would know when you press the shutter and what the exposure is in order to start processing. However, it does look potentially feasible, maybe not delivering the full output of a full frame DSLR but still...

6. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm glad it's an April Fool's because otherwise old lens prices would go even more through the roof than they have already.

7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree. You see all these great ideas that sound really good, and because its April 1st. you just know its a joke. I liked the iCam this year, and the guy who claimed to have invented an interpolation method that made Fuji X100 pictures look better than a Leica M9. Unfortunately he'd used a Phase One MF digital back and dropped the picture onto an X100 shot so the exif data looked right. Got a lot of people very heated, very quickly.

8. markyw

markyw Mu-43 Rookie

This was first talked about nearly 10 years ago, when digital was taking off and people were trying to find ways of holding on to their film cameras a little longer. Nothing ever came of it though. Shame.

Mark

9. RioRico

RioRico New to Mu-43

California or Guatemala or someplace mountainous
    Although this one is a marketing trick, the concept isn't totally impossible. The limitation is user interface. The only way I can think of to have a generalized system that would work in the vast assortment of 135 cams would entail a double-ended system, with pieces in both the feeding and take-up spool areas. The latter would sense movement of the film-advance lever or knob, to switch the unit on. It would stay on until it notes a shutter snap and stores the image, then switch off. Any other mechanism would drain batteries VERY fast.

10. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

There were a couple of companies with prototypes or announced plans for this kind of thing back in 2000-2002. A search of Popular Science or some of the photo magazines would turn up something.

I think the advances in and drop in cost of digital bodies made it economically unfeasible even if they did get the kinks worked out.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Could you imagine the low light performance of a modern 4MP full frame sensor?those would be some monster photosites

12. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

My 30 lonely film cameras are crying now! They thought they would finally get the attention that the GF1 and GH1 stole from them…

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Steve
    the big problem is space. The film plane behind the shutter was designed to hold the film flat and it's really hard to make a sensor and its protective coatings that thin. If the back came off the camera maybe. Even then, it's hard to get the surface of sensor right at the film plane.

14. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I remember that and with a collection of film cameras, was very excited about the possibilities.

15. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Alan
    wonder if the big camera manufacturers buy the patents and shelf it to protect their investments . as oil producers would do everything in their means to stop an inventer who could get an engine to run on tap water.