Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Real Name
    Sidinei

Default Trying HDR (just learning)

I took this other day using bracketing on my G1 (seven shots, just use three of them), and would like to know what you think avbout it.
    I'd appreciate any C&C.

Lunch Time

Thanks for looking at it.
    Best Regards

Sidinei

2. The following member thanks sLorenzi for this post:

it looks flared

4. The following member thanks linkedit for this post:

Real Name
    Luke

Quite good. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any true blacks.

6. The following member thanks Luke for this post:

Real Name
    Lois

A bit flat, but maybe it’s the place. Not as flashy as the more processed HDR pics, but like it. The even brightness of everything is kind of inviting to explore every details of the picture like searching for anything hidden in it. :)
    Just that, I guess I’m expecting darker sky outside from the shorter exposures shot.

8. The following member thanks nseika for this post:

I'm in a similar place, i.e. I've recently started playing around with HDR and Photomatix. I was impressed with the capabilities, and also intrigued by the fact that images can be processed in a very overt manner, which makes them obviously "HDR", or more subtly, preserving tonal range and clarity without the "special effect" often associated with HDR.

I did notice that the processing tends to reduce contrast in the mids quite a bit, and it often has to be added back afterward. That looks to be what you have here, but it's all a matter of personal preference and what look appeals to you. I assume this image reflects your decisions in editing.

Heck of a lot of fun, isn't it?

10. The following member thanks Brian G for this post:

Real Name
    Sidinei

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Quite good. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any true blacks.
    Believe you're right. I was so worried with loss of detail is shadows that I don't give it the necessary contrast. For me it's the hardest part of HDR, the balance between recover detail and correct tone curve.

Thanks for answer.

Real Name
    Sidinei

Quote Originally Posted by linkedit View Post
    it looks flared
    I don't understand what you mean with your reply, please could you explain? Thanks

Real Name
    Sidinei

Thanks for the nice reply

Quote Originally Posted by nseika View Post
    Just that, I guess Iím expecting darker sky outside from the shorter exposures shot.
    It's was the worst of the image for me. I took it at noon, and the restaurant was surrounded by swimming pools, so the light was terribly harsh outside, and even the -2 exposure couldn't bring all the detail outside. Perhaps I should have take another one metering to that light...

Real Name
    Sidinei

Quote Originally Posted by Brian G View Post
    I'm in a similar place, i.e. I've recently started playing around with HDR and Photomatix. I was impressed with the capabilities, and also intrigued by the fact that images can be processed in a very overt manner, which makes them obviously "HDR", or more subtly, preserving tonal range and clarity without the "special effect" often associated with HDR.

I did notice that the processing tends to reduce contrast in the mids quite a bit, and it often has to be added back afterward. That looks to be what you have here, but it's all a matter of personal preference and what look appeals to you. I assume this image reflects your decisions in editing.

Heck of a lot of fun, isn't it?

The very first HDRs I made were s you said, or even worse, almost cartoon like, and I really didn't like them. This is one of the better I could get so far.
    About the contrast, I agree with you, and I tweaked the curves a little, but I was so afraid of detail lost, that I believe I didn't do it enough.
    HDR is a very fun and a very useful tool and I believe there is no camera capable of manage with some extreme contrasty situations, like that one where, inside a dim light and trough the windows and doors a a bright midday sun.

Quote Originally Posted by sLorenzi View Post
    I don't understand what you mean with your reply, please could you explain? Thanks
    the right side of the shot looks flat - no real blacks. almost like lens flare.

I had the same problem when I first started playing around with photomatix.

16. The following member thanks linkedit for this post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast