Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Second attempt at the Moon

I'm not a great photographer by any means, I just enjoy it. Made some improvement on my last attempt, I'm quite happy with this one. Shows the capabilities of the lens more.

Oly Zuiko 600mm & Oly 2Xa teleconverter again, @ f8, 1/100 no cropping. Just a touch of sharpening in Aperture and slight boost to the exposure as this was my sharpest shot just a tad underexposed.

I'd welcome any critique or comments with warm arms.

2. The following 5 members thank juno for this post:

Real Name
    Jason

Its pretty good. I would have gone maybe 1/80s to get a little better exposure. Other than that, its pretty good.

4. Default

A nearly perfect moon! I still hear the wolfs, from far away...
    ::red
    ::red garlic

Thats excellent detail
    Catch that Light
    -----------------------
    http://boyzo.smugmug.com/

Thanks for the comments. I think I can get it better still with more effort, just need to get a night when it's really cold - ideally -8 ish, the moon is high and it's a clear cloud free night.

The Zuiko 600 seems one hell of a lens for sure. Think I'd be looking at a telescope to get better results than can be got with it.

Real Name
    Jason

There are some moon shots in my gallery taken with a telescope.

If you take a look at those, it doesn't take high ISO to take them, I shoot them at ISO 100/200. You'll get lots more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Djarum View Post
    There are some moon shots in my gallery taken with a telescope.

If you take a look at those, it doesn't take high ISO to take them, I shoot them at ISO 100/200. You'll get lots more detail.
    Hi, yes these were taken at ISO 100. This was the best shot out of around 400 I took, when I tried to boost the exposure in Aperture the file started to degrade. Will do better next time.....not the easiest thing to shoot.

so do you use any sorts of filters when you take photos of the moon? never had any good results with an old nikon lens (it is only 50mm)...always too bright and no detail

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
    so do you use any sorts of filters when you take photos of the moon? never had any good results with an old nikon lens (it is only 50mm)...always too bright and no detail

Me?No,no filters. I even remove the UV filter just to be sure nothing srange is going on.

50mm - I don't think you're going to see much detail. The Zuiko 600mm was effetively 2400mm with the 2x teleconverter, I think for that shot the aperture was f/11 (not f/8 as I originally said) and the shutter speed was 1/100. Next time I'll be going for f/11 at 1/80 or f/8 at 1/100 at ISO 100 as always.

You will get a reasonable detail with a 300mm lens on a 4/3 camera.

Real Name
    Zach

That's a great shot, lots more detail than I've been able to get with shorter zooms.

As far as the too bright issue - I had the same trouble until I realized that the moon really is very bright reflecting sunlight against a black background. You just need to crank the exposure way down or try spot metering on the moon. Once I did that all of the sudden I had a moon that looked like the moon with details :)
    Zach Pierce
    Photos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast