Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Featured: 'Photographs from Morocco' by ggibson

Last month I traveled to Morocco with my wife and some grad school classmates of mine. Through the course of a week, we drove over 1000 miles, touring all around the countryside. We visited the cities of Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakesh, and Essaouira, as well as driving out into the edge of the Sahara desert. It was an incredible trip, and I came away with many, many photos. Keeping my kit light, I brought along my GF1, Olympus 9-18mm, Panasonic 20mm, and Panasonic 45-175mm lenses. With these three, I feel like I can typically cover everything that I would want to shoot when traveling. I've included some of my favorites from the trip below. If you'd like to see the rest of my photos (all 188 of them!), you can take a look at my flickr set here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/graham...57642706460314

The morning after arriving in the Sahara, I woke up early and hiked over a nearby hill to see the sunrise. I set up my GorillaPod and took this "selfie" with the 9-18mm:

Driving out to the desert, we stopped for lunch near an old fortified city called At Benhaddou. Taken with the Panasonic 20mm:

In Casablanca, we visited the Hassan II mosque, one of the largest in the world. The architecture was quite stunning in scale and design. This is in a tall atrium leading to the baths in the lower level. Taken with the Olympus 9-18mm:

The spice vendors had impressive displays. Here is one in one of the markets in the city of Essaouira. Taken with the Panasonic 20mm:

In Marrakesh, we visited the Bahia Palace, which had some wonderful woodwork in the ceilings. Taken with the Panasonic 20mm:

Our trip to the Sahara desert wouldn't be complete without a camel ride! Taken with the Panasonic 20mm:

I wanted to try some astrophotography while I was in the desert, so I woke up early to catch the sky after the moon set at 4am. The GF1 gets too noisy after ISO 800, but I was able to combine a few exposures and dark frames using DeepSkyStacker and come up with this image. Taken with the Olympus 9-18mm:

Finally, here is another favorite of mine, which I took during the sunrise in the Sahara. This is a combination of two exposures using luminosity masking to blend the sky and foreground. Taken with the Olympus 9-18mm:

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by ggibson; April 9th, 2014 at 10:38 AM.

2. The following 98 members thank ggibson for this post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

3. Default

Beautiful thread filled with golden imagery... and all on the GF1?! Cheers!

4. The following member thanks Dan Lopez for this post:

Great photos

Looks like the trip was filled with beautiful images. Special place. Thanks for sharing.

Amazing photos! I went for a week and a half to a surf camp north of Agadir last June, and really wish I had made it to other areas other! Your photos definitely inspire me to go back and really experience it like you did! Thank you for sharing!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rgugler View Post
    Amazing photos! I went for a week and a half to a surf camp north of Agadir last June, and really wish I had made it to other areas other! Your photos definitely inspire me to go back and really experience it like you did! Thank you for sharing!
    Very cool! It seemed like Marrakesh and Essaouira were quite popular tourist spots, and not too difficult to reach from Europe. The markets in Marrakesh were straight out of Indiana Jones. Conversely, it was a long drive through the mountains to get to the desert (6+ hrs each way), but the night we spent in the Sahara and the next morning were definitely the highlights of the trip for me. Overall, a beautiful country and one of the most exotic places I've ever been.

Real Name
    Aaron

Fantastic images!!
    OMD E-M5 // 12-40mm // 15mm BCL
    Instagram / Flickr

enjoyable set! I've nominated it for a feature

btw, what program did you use for the luminosity mask?

Very nice photos, looks like a very interesting trip.
    C&C Always Welcome
    OM-D E-M10, ECG-1 Grip
    Rokinon 7.5, M. Zuiko 9-18mm, M. Zuiko 12-40mm, M Zuiko 45mm, M. Zuiko 40-150mm, M. Zuiko 60mm Macro, M. Zuiko 75-300mm.

12. Default

Wow!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast