Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default E-M1 rear dial skipping

I have noticed that the rear dial on my E-M1, which I have set to change the aperture in aperture priority mode, the shutter speed in shutter priority mode, etc., has an annoying tendency to skip in that turning the dial often has no effect and it must quite often be turned a number of times to increment or decrement the aperture (etc., according to the mode). Is this a problem that anyone else has had? It has seemed to do this from new and it is rather annoying.

James E. Petts

My photostream

yes - this has been mentioned in a couple of threads: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=59158

It happened to me - My camera is boxed any ready to be sent for service on Monday
    E-M1, 12-40/2.8, 60/2.8, 75/1.8 , 75-300

Mine is fine.
    "Amateur photographers worry about equipment. Professionals worry about money. Masters worry about light."

Olympus EM-1 // Olympus 12-40mm 2.8 //Olympus 40-150mm 4-5.6 // Olympus 75-300mm 4.8-6.7// ​Panasonic 20mm 1.7 II

Quote Originally Posted by marcr1230 View Post
    yes - this has been mentioned in a couple of threads: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=59158

It happened to me - My camera is boxed any ready to be sent for service on Monday
    just got my epm2 back from repair and works geeat. Hope Olympus improves their dials on their future products.

Similar problem with E-PL5 - sent in for repair - returned in a week - worked fine for several weeks - starting to jump around again. They have to do something to improve these turn and press controllers - they're just not interfacing reliably. Too many reports of people having difficulties with different model cameras from Olympus.

I'm resurrecting this thread because my lightly used E-M1 is now displaying this same issue with the rear dial intermittently not working. Obviously this is a defect that occurs at some low level on the rear dial of more than 1 Olympus body. I found discussion threads on Flickr and dpreview about it. My camera is no longer under warranty, so Olympus has a flat fee of $184 for any repair! I shipped it back today, but I'm griping loudly and asking Olympus to waive the $184 fee.

Dave

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by getoutandshoot View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread because my lightly used E-M1 is now displaying this same issue with the rear dial intermittently not working. Obviously this is a defect that occurs at some low level on the rear dial of more than 1 Olympus body. I found discussion threads on Flickr and dpreview about it. My camera is no longer under warranty, so Olympus has a flat fee of $184 for any repair! I shipped it back today, but I'm griping loudly and asking Olympus to waive the $184 fee.

Dave
    I'd be getting loud about that too Dave. This plagues a great many (if not all) of the Olympus bodies, and has for some time. No excuse for not fixing it by the time the E-M1 came out. Charging you $184 for a known defect is akin to robbery imo. Good luck with. Keep us posted.

Default Possible help

Quote Originally Posted by getoutandshoot View Post

Dave
    When this happened with my E-PL5 I was told to try canned air around the wheel. It helped a bit, but I did send it in for repair underwarranty.

UNFORTUNATELY, after repair the same jumping of settings started happening again regularly when I had to send it in OUT OF WARRANTY for repair of another issue - it just wouldn't work, and the wheel was fixed yet again. That was several months ago and the same issue hasn't happened again.

Now that I think of it - I probably should have used the extra year's warranty I got when I charged the camera on my Visa card - completely forgot about it!

Isabel

Real Name
    Barry

Mine sometimes seems like it doesn't work when I turn it a single click, but always works on the next click.

Should I be worried? It's done this since new and I haven't noticed it's getting worse. Warranty will be up next month.

Barry
    OM-D E-M1 || 9mm BCL || 12-40mm Pro || 17mm f1.8 || 45mm f1.8 || 40-150mm Pro || MC-14 || 14-42mm II || 40-150mm R || MMF-3 || FL-36R
    E-3 || 8mm ZD FishEye || 7-14mm ZD || 12-60mm ZD || 35mm ZD Macro || 70-300mm ZD || EC-14 || Opteka 500mm mirror
    Bags: Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 || Messenger bag w insert || ...
    Pentax (selling): ES 35mm body (m42 mount) || Auto 110 Super SLR system

Comments & Critique are welcome.

Real Name
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by barry13 View Post
    Should I be worried?
    That's how mine started and now the back wheel is barely responsive at all.
    I have to spin it around and around to get it to move the setting.
    I have resorted to work-arounds to avoid using the wheel but it's a PIA.
    I bought my camera used, so have no warranty,
    but I'm angry that such a basic control is so poorly designed on an expensive camera,
    especially since it had already appeared on other Olympus models.

It would be nice if someone with legal chops could threaten a class action suit -
    they would have hundreds of cosigners if not thousands.
    That's what it took to get Nikon to finally respond to the D600 mess.

So, yes, you should be worried
    and if it were me, I'd send it for repair before the warranty expires.

11. The following member likes this post: barry13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast