Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Default Any thoughts on the National Geographic Explorer NG 2343 Small Shoulder Bag?

Now that the Tamrac Express 5,6 and 7 are out of the question for my Olympus E-PL1, I'm looking at the National Geographic NG 2343 Earth Explorer Small Shoulder Bag. Thing that I'm kinda worried about this is that it's a little thick. Any comments/experience on it? I really like this bag BECAUSE it doesn't look like a camera bag

National Geographic NG 2343 Earth Explorer Small NG 2343 - B&H

2. Default

The NG Explorer 2343 is appealing because it looks like a safari bag and not a camera bag, and it's made of cotton-hemp and not a synthetic. But it's 22cm/8.6" high, which is too deep for the Olympus E-PL1 with its small body and lenses, unless you have a long zoom lens that needs the space. And since it is only 16cm/6" wide it's too narrow to put the E-PL1 with a lens attached and another lens side by side. Instead the equipment has to be stacked, which means you'll have to take things out of the top to get to the bottom.

Consider the Domke F-5XB. It's similar to the NG bag because it's made of cotton and it doesn't look like a camera bag. It's 25cm/10" wide, 18cm/7.25" high, and 11cm/4.5" deep, long enough to put the E-PL1 with a zoom lens attached, a lens under the camera, and an extra lens beside it. It's a great take everywhere bag because it has space for extra lenses but it's not big enough to be a burden to carry for long periods of time.

Real Name
    Malcolm

I have the NG2345 (Medium) and I think it's great. The removeable padded insert can be adjusted and the camera can be put in left side down (from the back) which makes it easy to grab & remove. Lots of pockets for odds and ends.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by greyelm View Post
    I have the NG2345 (Medium) and I think it's great. The removeable padded insert can be adjusted and the camera can be put in left side down (from the back) which makes it easy to grab & remove. Lots of pockets for odds and ends.
    Can you take pictures of the bag next to the gears you carry, and several pictures with you or someone else wearing it? That way I can see how big it is relative to the gear and person. Thanks!

Real Name
    Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by jambaj0e View Post
    Can you take pictures of the bag next to the gears you carry, and several pictures with you or someone else wearing it? That way I can see how big it is relative to the gear and person. Thanks!
    I won't be able to do much for a few days but in the meantime there is a video review on this Amazon review page. By the way I should have said 'Midi' , medium is the next one up.

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: National Geographic Midi Shoulder Bag

This is on the shoulder

Last edited by greyelm; September 14th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Stee View Post
    The NG Explorer 2343 is appealing because it looks like a safari bag and not a camera bag, and it's made of cotton-hemp and not a synthetic. But it's 22cm/8.6" high, which is too deep for the Olympus E-PL1 with its small body and lenses, unless you have a long zoom lens that needs the space. And since it is only 16cm/6" wide it's too narrow to put the E-PL1 with a lens attached and another lens side by side. Instead the equipment has to be stacked, which means you'll have to take things out of the top to get to the bottom.
    Are you sure that the big would be too small to put the E-PL1 in one pocket and a lens in the other side? Here's a pic from Amazon. I want to stay light with space for a E-PL1 w/ kit lens (laid on its side with the lens facing to the back of the bag) and one other zoom lens/prime lens

Here's a Flickr photo with two lens in it:

Last edited by jambaj0e; September 15th, 2010 at 02:49 AM.

8. The following member thanks jambaj0e for this post:

It looks great. Personally, I hate having shoulderbags, as that shoulder begins to weigh on me after a while. Backpacks support the weight a lot better, and make it easier to trek (no bump...bump...bump as the bag hits your side while you go up some hill or another).

So for normal walking, and short trips it should be fine. However for a day-long trip... I'd go find a good backpack camera bag.

Just my two cents. :]
    Nikon: D300s, D5000(for sale), SB-600, 35mmf1.8, 60mmf2.8 Micro, 18-200f3.5-5.6, 24-70mmf2.8, 58mm Voightlander f1.4 (for sale)
    Panasonic: GF1 w/ 20mmf1.7
    flickr

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
    It looks great. Personally, I hate having shoulderbags, as that shoulder begins to weigh on me after a while. Backpacks support the weight a lot better, and make it easier to trek (no bump...bump...bump as the bag hits your side while you go up some hill or another).

So for normal walking, and short trips it should be fine. However for a day-long trip... I'd go find a good backpack camera bag.

Just my two cents. :]
    Good thing National Geographic does carry a backpack in the same style, too! I'd probably grab that sooner or later for hiking

I bought the same bag for my wife a few months back. She/I don't use it much though, as I found it to be too inconvenient to use for its size (we found it to be too thick/wide). It was a bit too much for us because we always go out with just one body + one lens.

We found the crumpler 4mil home bag to be sized better, though still a bit thick/wide. Now i'm just looking for a nice satchel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast